• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

The Holy Spirit said of Paul, through the pen of Paul,

1Co 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Notice that BOTH sides of the Calvin vs Armenius issues, make their arguments from the same BOOK!

Which means the TRUTH is somewhere in between the two, and NO DOUBT covered by PAUL, don't you think?

The Holy Spirit of God seems to think so.

HI BOB!!

I can compromise and agree to this. Repentance is mans part; The Conviction is from God dealing with you. Both are required for Salvation.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi,

Are we hearing and preaching a different Gospel then what Jesus and his Apostles preached? Today I hear so many Pastors and Christians teaching that God does not require us to repent or turn from sin. But throughout the Gospels, Book of Acts, and letters of the bible, it teaches us that Repentance is an absolute requirement. Not only that, but it commands us to repent or we will perish. What happend to the message of repentance? Do we think God does not require us to repent today?

Jesus:

Luk 13:3 I tell you, No. But unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Jesus preached repentance and faith, Peter preached repentance and faith, and Paul preached repentance and faith and so did all the other apostles.

Peter:

Act 2:37-38 And hearing this, they were stabbed in the heart, and said to Peter and to the other apostles, Men, brothers, what shall we do? (38) Then Peter said to them, Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ to remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Notice Peter did not say, "bow your heads men and brothers and say this prayer after me and then you shall be saved." NO! Peter told them exactly what to do.

Act 3:19 Therefore repent and convert so that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Paul:

Act 17:30 So then these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now He commands all men everywhere to repent,

Act 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul sums up his whole ministry and messege in these few words:

Act 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Oh my God Paul said we are to do works!!!! Is Paul a false teacher? Paul preached a messeage that included works.

Paul's whole message to both Jews and Gentiles was this Repent, Faith in God, and do works worthy showing repentance.

Today, I believe the church has replaced Repentance, Faith and Baptism with a unbibical "Sinners Prayer" which requires no repentance, faith or baptism. They tell them the if you say this lil sinners prayer that you will be eternally secure. What a crock of bull! Jesus said, unless you repent you perish! Why are we scared to tell people the truth and that they need to turn from sin and turn to God. You can not say yes to sin and say yes to God at the same time. You either have to say no to sin and yes to God or you have to say yes to sin and No to God.

God commands us to repent.

Act 17:30 So then these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now He commands all men everywhere to repent,

:wub: "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". Without repentance there cannot be a turning away from sin.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  305
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/12/1950

I have to ask the question. Is repentance a human decision?

I would say yes. That being the case, what did Jesus say about those who are born again?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I would say yes. That being the case, what did Jesus say about those who are born again?

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/13/1987

I agree! Amen!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/17/1982

Repentance is a gift which God grants to us. Repentance is humbling. The enemy of Grace and Repentance is pride and God resists the proud. Repentance awakens us to our desperate need of grace and thus prepares us to receive Christ, with humbling gratitude. Repentance embraces Christ in faith. God has granted "repentance unto life" to both Jew and Gentiles (Acts 11:18).

Acts 11:15 As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning.16And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57

How does the bible define "repentance". If you were leading a person to Jesus and they asked you what you needed to do, what would you tell them?

• Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

How does the bible define "repentance". If you were leading a person to Jesus and they asked you what you needed to do, what would you tell them?

Repentance is both inwardly and outwardly. God deals with the heart but the outward reaction belongs to the individual.

I would tell that person if he is truly sincere and under holy conviction that he needs to repent (meaning turn from sin) and turn to God who can save him. If God is truly dealing with him then he will have the power to turn from sin or not. I believe the individual needs to make the first step towards God and God will see and come running toward him with love and salvation, as seen in the story of the prodigals son story. In no way do I believe God forces someone to repent, in the same way the prodigals father never forced the son to return home, but gives each person that choice.

I believe true repentance comes from God. God does the convicting of sin and man does the turning from sin. I believe both are required for true repentance that leads to salvation. You can't have one without the other.

I don't believe a person can be saved by outward repentance without God convicting the heart first and showing the error of their ways. On the other hand, I don't believe a person can be saved just because they are convicted over sin but never makes any true efforts to turn from sin and to God.