Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Blien, I'm not sure of the benefits offered by Canada's military but I do know they are a fine fighting force. That being said, the military life is not for everyone. If you are seriously considering this, talk to someone who has served or is serving. Recruiters tend to gloss over the extremely hard life most soldiers live. And Canada is actively involved in Afghanistan; you have to think of possibly being sent into combat.

One of my classmates from Elementary school is in the military and has been deployed to Afghanistan. When i look at his facebook photos I wonder in amazement how much he changed... he was such a sweet kid even during highschool.. and the part that scares me is that I might change to have my love grow cold like that. But... here I see some of you ex-soldiers are doing fine...?

As for benefits.. while the Candian Army doesn't get as much funding as the US.. they are pretty good and I can go to school for free with the military if I wanted to (they'll pay my tuition).. your right though, I need to ask my friend about the real deal that recruiters don't tell. I don't mind physical hard work.. I can do that. I've always dreamed of being a Ranger... though the Canadian Rangers are trained to be alone in far off wilderness in the north (I can't stand the cold)... I might consider that specialization. Anyway... my dad encourages it from previous passing (in-direct) conversations. I was also a former recruit of the Air Cadets program here for teens.. kind of like the JROTC program you have in the states but less serious. Anyway I loved it at the time- I was about 16 then..

It sounds like you're taking it slow and that's the right way to go about it. I grew up in the military and my dad was sent to Viet Nam when I was a kid, although I didn't understand what Viet Nam was then. He saw some TERRIBLE things. He talked me out of joining when I was thinking about it in my teens. It IS a hard life.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

LOL!!!

When I was a teenager I joined the AIR Cadets because I saw Top Gun. I don't think it is anything at all like Top Gun...

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Blien, I'm not sure of the benefits offered by Canada's military but I do know they are a fine fighting force. That being said, the military life is not for everyone. If you are seriously considering this, talk to someone who has served or is serving. Recruiters tend to gloss over the extremely hard life most soldiers live. And Canada is actively involved in Afghanistan; you have to think of possibly being sent into combat.

One of my classmates from Elementary school is in the military and has been deployed to Afghanistan. When i look at his facebook photos I wonder in amazement how much he changed... he was such a sweet kid even during highschool.. and the part that scares me is that I might change to have my love grow cold like that. But... here I see some of you ex-soldiers are doing fine...?

As for benefits.. while the Candian Army doesn't get as much funding as the US.. they are pretty good and I can go to school for free with the military if I wanted to (they'll pay my tuition).. your right though, I need to ask my friend about the real deal that recruiters don't tell. I don't mind physical hard work.. I can do that. I've always dreamed of being a Ranger... though the Canadian Rangers are trained to be alone in far off wilderness in the north (I can't stand the cold)... I might consider that specialization. Anyway... my dad encourages it from previous passing (in-direct) conversations. I was also a former recruit of the Air Cadets program here for teens.. kind of like the JROTC program you have in the states but less serious. Anyway I loved it at the time- I was about 16 then..

It sounds like you're taking it slow and that's the right way to go about it. I grew up in the military and my dad was sent to Viet Nam when I was a kid, although I didn't understand what Viet Nam was then. He saw some TERRIBLE things. He talked me out of joining when I was thinking about it in my teens. It IS a hard life.

Yeah.. I don't want my love to grow cold. That would be the worst. I dont know if your father turned out that way but seeing my own friend really made me think hard about it. Still I have this wild fascination about the military.. like a moth attracted to a flame of fire.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/26/1962

I have served in two different branched of the US military - Marine Corps and Army National Guard. It is indeed a hard life but I don't regret it for one moment, ever. Talk to others (other than recruiters) who have been in the branch you are interested in. It sounds like you have had some exposure through ROTC. If you think you would enjoy it, I recommend the military, but you have to know what you are getting in to, and you have to be prepared to know that you may be called upon to give your life. Are you that prepared?

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Yeah.. I don't want my love to grow cold. That would be the worst. I dont know if your father turned out that way but seeing my own friend really made me think hard about it. Still I have this wild fascination about the military.. like a moth attracted to a flame of fire.

No, my dad was never a believer. But the military does make some people really hard.....I think it's a defense mechanism.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

I know A LOT of you here have either served in the Military or have children who do. I'm just curious.. I'm 27 and having a real hard time finding work.. I've been unemployed for almost a year. Would you advise or advise not if I say I wanted to serve in the military? By the way, in case you don't know I'm in Canada not USA..

I know my parent's would freak out if I said I am joining the Canadian military.... but, what else can I do? There is nothing available for me and I currently don't have money to pay for re-schooling so I can pursue another career.

I use to say I would advise almost anyone to join the military...... and then I was even a recruiter.....

after I was done with my tour of recruiting, I still supported the recruiters and encouraged people to join....

now days thou...

I WOULD HAVE TO SAY A PERSON NEEDS TO REALLY GIVE IT SOME SERIOUS THOUGHT.....

why?

it is like this.......

when MANDITORY INNOCULATIONS CAME OUT, THE MILITARY WAS THE FIRST.... and is still manditory... such as people being made to take the flu shot.... I got it three times in one year, because they kept loosing the information as my record was moving around... I have been out forover 15 years and have not got the flu since

when DIRECT DEPOSIT CAME OUT, the military was pushing very hard at encouraging everyone to have it.....

then their suggested DIRECT DEPOSTI became manditory for some types of commands, now, they have a debit card..

In the United States, when we take the oath,

Enlistment oath

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

here is the presidents

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.

There is nothing in the oaths that say we are to serve under the United Nations. other then we are to follow the directions of the President and officers appointed over us, which the president has then basically turned his authority over the U.S. military to another entity....

also, being the military takes an item and is the first ones to go manditory on something where the people no longer have a choice (follow orders) to impliment it.....

Being that the VERICHIP is being introduced into the human population for use (yes, it is currently being used in the human body, and yes, in some places it is being used to buy and sell, and yes, even in the USA we are getting ready for this, walmart is already set up to impliment it......)

I see the military, in the very very near future being pushed for all members to get chipped and also for the civilians to get it and then it will become manditory for military, then for senior citizens and then well, it just rolls down hill.........

I told my son when he joined, that he needed to be very careful and not to take the chip if it is offered...... he has not talked to me since he has been out ( i have no clue as to why he got out when he did, or what happened)......

I would say that a person would have to give it some serious consideration, the military is not like it use to be (now it is more political then functional, you get ahead easier by being political, rather then by doing your job well)....

It use to be a very tight chain of command, now, it is micromanaged, micromanagment is very ineffective and really is not good for troop moral, it actually tears moral apart and undermines the middle management......

Blien, I am currently unemployed (temporary, so I do not have to look for work yet) but I am reallly thinking about what lays ahead, what is really coming up. They keep saying the economy is gettng better, yet, all we see here is more and more drops in everything.... the only ones that it got better for was those that got bailout money.... the little guy is suffering, those that are self employed are really sucking for air...

In my opinion, the government does not want people to be self employed, they do not want small business to make it they want to contol the business and with small business, they have no control over them, until they go to a cashless society, cause then they can put the screws to the thumbs of the little guy just making ends meet and control them like they want to....

The U.S. government is now operating backwards from the way it was set up..... it is no longer the people controling the local government, and the local controling the county and the county controlling the state and the state controlling the federal, it is the other way around..... BIG BUSINESS HAS THE CONTROL OVER THE FEDERAL, and then the federal undermines the state and so forth until the city is tellin the people of the city what color you are allowed to paint your house or that your grass can only be so many MM tall, or that you can or can not put up a fence in your yard and where you can and can not put it, or if you want to rebuild your porch so that it is safe you have to get city permission and so forth and so on.......

I do not know if joining the military is such a good idea anymore.... to many variables that we no longer have control over.....

mike

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I know A LOT of you here have either served in the Military or have children who do. I'm just curious.. I'm 27 and having a real hard time finding work.. I've been unemployed for almost a year. Would you advise or advise not if I say I wanted to serve in the military? By the way, in case you don't know I'm in Canada not USA..

I know my parent's would freak out if I said I am joining the Canadian military.... but, what else can I do? There is nothing available for me and I currently don't have money to pay for re-schooling so I can pursue another career.

Brother, you're 27 years old. You are, as Scripture puts it, 'your own man.' Stop worrying about Mom and Dad's opinions. If you were 17 that would be different.

The military is often a good place to gain a useful civilian skill. Think hard about what particular field interests you and tell your recruiter that is what you're interested in doing in the military. There is nothing that says if you join the service, you have to be infantry or armor. Valuable disciplines can be learned in the military.

Jesus didn't condemn military service, despite the fact he lived in the cruelest Empire the world had ever seen. He admired soldiers from all that I have read, telling them to be content with their pay and not to shake anyone down while on occupation duty.

Don't feel that the military is your only option, but should you choose it, you've not chosen poorly by any means.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

LOL!!!

When I was a teenager I joined the AIR Cadets because I saw Top Gun. I don't think it is anything at all like Top Gun...

Your right, it will be nothing like Top Gun, but it beats being a target in the open.