• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

A Pa couple were arrested for not paying a 22% tip. Even though their service was horrible: click here

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I remember I and my wife went into a local Bonaza Resturant, and when you go in you pay first then set down to eat. Well I and my wife used a credit card to pay for the meal.

Little did we know, the waitress and the cashier had a little thing going to when a new customer comes in, the waitress would ask the cashier if the customer placed a tip on the credit card. Since I Usually pay for the meal on my credit card, and give the tip in cash, she had no way of knowing the tip I had in my pocket. Back then it was not usual for me to give a waitress a ten dollar tip. Well there was a couple setting a booth over, and she kept hovering around them asking if they needed anything, and being real nice to them. She never came over to us and asked if we needed anything. But while she was cleaning off the table in front of us, she made the comment ; " I don't see any tips, do you?".

So after my meal I asked the cashier if I could see the waitress, the waitress came and set down, and I said to her; " I want to show you something, I know your upset because you thought I wasn't going to give you a tip, but just to let you know I give my tips in cash, I don't put them on the credit card." Just then I pulled out 5 ones and a 5 dollar bill. I said; "even though you don't deserve it I'm going to give you a two dollar tip; but here's the other eight dollars you could have had by doing what you were suppose to. "

Needless to say we never ate there again. Perhaps there's a sermon here; When every you think things are not panning out, stick with it anyway, so you can be rewarded by God who sees our hard work, and hearts.

Blessings

Bob

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I've seen both sides of the fence on this one... I've been a server and I've of course, been the customer. I've waited on a table of 10 and they've had a $400 tab and I got a $10 tip. I've waited on tables of 2 and they've had a $50 tab and been tipped very generously. In our state - servers make $2.10 an hour. So, these folks depend on tips. From the customers standpoint - I've seen some miserable service and awful servers... I try to remember what it was like and realize that a lot of people have bad days and we both (me & the server) could be having a bad day. I usually tip well and I have taken servers aside and told them their attitudes and service were not very good - and they've agreed and apologized. Someone I love very much has a wonderful college education and started working as a server with a large company - she's risen to become an executive with that company and I cannot help but notice how kind she is to servers and she has so much compassion for them. It's not an easy job. But -arresting someone for not tipping - I have a feeling there is more to this story than we know.... wow!!

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

TIP= To Insure Performance

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

TIP= To Insure Performance

Yes, it used to mean that prior to the states establishing a special minimum wage for servers.... good servers, in busy restaurants make good money usually. Some do not, though.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

That's ridiculous; a tip is something I leave for great service. What's the incentive to do a good job if they get a tip anyway? This is not nothing new, btw, a friend of mine was threatened with the police for not paying the tip...and that was about 10 years ago.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

I'm pretty sure that its common pratice at pretty much every restaurant...groups of 8 or more have a mandatory tip of a certain percentage. From the news I've read on this...this pub had the same policy. This mandatory tip is NOT included in the gratuity that can be optionally left for the server.

For example, my friends and I went to a restaurant, there were about 10 or 11 of us. At the end of the night we got the bill. Our bill included the mandatory 18% tip (I think 18% is the industry standard) which is non-negotiable. We then left a voluntary tip (gratuity) for the server, on top of that, based on her service.

Refusing to pay the bill is illegal. What surprises me is that these people had 8 in their party and they paid less than $10 a person for their dinner...and they freaked out about a $2 per person tip. Bad service or not...I'm not getting arrested over $16...lol.

first my general response, then my response to this particular case:

if there is signage anywhere, either in the menu or posted in the restaurant, or even verbally expressed by the staff, that there is an automatic gratuity added to the bill, then i believe that the customer is obligated to pay the tip. however, if they are not made aware of the gratuity up front, then they should not be required to tip anything at all.

now, here's the thing though. where is it written that the tip must go to your own server? i mean, i've had bad service many times, but i'd watch and see what employee was giving good service in their section... and have been known on more than one occasion to tip someone else's server for doing a good job... i ONLY do this in the presence of my own lousy server (if i had a lousy server), and have done it also in the presence of a manager.

ok, now with this particular case, this was TWO PEOPLE! and they were being charged an exhorbitant amount. on top of that, i believe that this was an illegal act on the server's part, since there was signage that LARGE parties would be charged 18%. this tells me that there was probably no signage or policy for automatically charging small parties tips, and even if there was, a smaller party would never be charged four percent higher than a large party would.

so arrested? there has to be something more to this story. i seriously doubt they'll get jail time, but the couple should counter-sue for the court costs at the very least.

oops, i misunderstood. i missed the part where they were there WITH other people.

still, the policy was a mandatory 18%, not 22%. they should still counter-sue.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

oops, i misunderstood. i missed the part where they were there WITH other people.

still, the policy was a mandatory 18%, not 22%. they should still counter-sue.

Yeah...I'm still trying to figure out how the mandatory tip was $16...or 22%. That doesn't add up. It should have been $13.

Since this story is being promoted by the arrested couple it makes me wonder if they are telling the whole story...I have a hard time imagining that the restaurant would have made this error...since its all done electronically nowadays. But who knows.