not everyone understands the Bible...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

:laugh: Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions! Please keep them coming, okay? :emot-hug: The Max Lucado books sound interesting. If you get a chance, could anyone possibly tell me the basic themes of the two that were suggested here in replies?

AND also the approximate age level comprehensions on Max Lucado's books? ...Because you see, mom is limited that way ( sort of like 'learning disability people', who get lost in reading anything too complex.) Maybe that's why she prefers 'fiction, story-telling style' books to theological type, preaching ones. I assume that those just plain 'go over her head'. Or else don't hold her interest. Her mind sometimes just wanders, like folks with attention deficit disorder... I know my own mind does, especially now that I'm this ill.

But I know for a fact that she CAN follow Janette Oke's stuff- if anyone reading this knows of her books. Anyone familiar with her? I keep wondering if the Gospel is interwoven into her books. I think the books are supposed to be more spiritual than the movies, from what someone claimed... Awhile back I was given a box of this author's paperbacks for my mom, which I have been mailing them to her at the nursing home ever since. She said she enjoys them.

Some were even made into good movies, shown on the Hallmark channel. That's how I personally learned of this author's existance. ( BTW, they're now out on DVD for those out there into renting family friendly movies. Janette Oke is the Christian author of the 'Love Comes Softly' series.)... They even sell them at Hallmark and would make good Christmas gifts. I understand you can buy that set of DVDS in one collection package, if you have that kind of money...

So maybe mom's reading level is upper gradeschool or perhaps a middle school/junior high level? ...I'm merely guessing at her ability of comprehension. Because I never actually read these Janette Oke books myself. I can't even READ books anymore...due to my disease! Because prolonged reading shuts down my eye. But I did manage to read the brief plots on the back of the book covers on the ones I sent her and am using that to base my guess on.

Because of my visual problems, me highlighting Gospel Scriptures in a Bible isn't an option, sadly... Plus, I have hand dystonia (one of several dystonias) which means I can't even do fine motor skills that involve my hands like highlighting or underlining things without scribbling all over the page. My hands cramp up, so handwriting is a skill this disease took from me...Also, much of the muscle tone in my hands is gone and I have tremors so bad that I can not physically hold and open books ( including the Bible! :12: ) for years now... In fact, all I can mostly do anymore is typing one fingered and read for brief periods when online. But how does that help my mom? I feel so useless. :thumbsup: Because reading books is one of mom's only pleasures left in this life, I wanted to couple it with helping her prepare for eternity.

Mom is in her seventys. Whereas I gave my life to Christ young, so I devoured reading the Bible when I was just a kid and teen. Thank God, I also memorized some Scriptures then! Because unlike now, I had a good mind and memory skills back in my youth. So I never personally had struggles 'getting the meaning' of the Gospel.:) I know this may be hard for some folks to grasp...but NOT EVERYONE understands the Bible...Sad, but true. I spoke with my mom on the phone just yesterday and that's exactly what she told me, in fact. She doesn't comprehend it. So she does have a Bible. My first choice to give to her to explain Salvation! Afterall, it is the Word of God. And no author can top HIM! Salvation is His plan...His design.

I don't know the ages of those posting me ideas of how to help her. But unless you personally have an elderly parent who has trouble understanding, due to dementia and not having read the Bible throughout their entire life...just 'jumping into the Bible' is kind of like plunging into the ocean when you can't even swim yet! It's huge and 'greek to you.' That's why just a simple book that weaves the most clear Gospel Scriptures INTO it was what I've been shooting for...

Perhaps an end time book would be okay, but I am not sure who to trust THESE DAYS as an author that is Biblically sound on prophecy (and if prophecy would combine with the Gospel, in an easy fashion? Or just confuse mom. Hard to say...

Please know that ALL of your ideas were good. And I am not criticizing any of them, by any means. So I sure hope it doesn't come across like that. I am just trying to explain the full picture of my mom and her limitations, since that is the only way anyone can know the sort of book that would truly help. It touches me that you care about mom's soul. Your prayers for her and kind suggestions mean a lot... Well, guess I'll consider Max Lucados books you mentioned and meanwhile I'll keep up the search...Thanks again for everyone's input. :)

OOPs. I goofed. This was supposed to be added to my thread about "Can anyone help me find a book for my mom?' If a mod sees this, could you please move it over there? Thanks. (Otherwise, it won't make as much sense to readers.) Meanwhile, whoever sees this ... my original topic is a few down from here. Sorry for being such a computer rookie. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Maybe just sending her the books she enjoys and type her a note with some heartfelt Bible verses and some meaningful Scripture that she would understand? Love ya!! :thumbsup:

Maybe just sending her the books she enjoys and type her a note with some heartfelt Bible verses and some meaningful Scripture that she would understand? Love ya!! :cool:

Thanks. :laugh: That's a thought...a possibility. But I'd save it as a last resort, if the book idea is truly a dead end. For the following reasons......

First- to be honest, with my medical condition and my not being able to be in the Bible like I once was, I feel inadequate for this important task... Both spiritually and physically. My twisted body and eye problems mean I can't be at the computer that long...searching out the right verses via the internet. And I am physically unable to use a Bible, like I used to...To just pick it up, search a concordance on Salvation verses, etc...So that's the first reason why I was SO MUCH hoping that there was a book existing that could just lay out the plan of Salvation for her. How sad if there isn't!

But if anyone feels led or has the time to send me on either open forum or by pm some easy verses or a plan of Salvation outline, I could try to do this. Any and all help to contribute to sharing the Gospel with her would be a blessing. :laugh: Because then I could have some Scriptural material to gather and type it out, as you suggested... :101: Seriously, I could once have handled this myself if I hadn't procrastinated. I just never forsaw such a debilitating disease entering my life suddenly. If I were only well again...

Secondly- I guess the thing is I believe she'd be more receptive to a subtle 'book approach'. Families can be real touchy when you attempt witnessing to them, which can in turn make them mad ( on the defensive) and drive them further from Christ sometimes! And I SURE don't want to do that with my mom. She is the only family member I have LEFT, who will even talk with me on the phone nowadays. That's why I am handling this situation with kid gloves. Books would be the perfect method, because she would be much less inclined to get upset than a direct confrontation where she'd clearly pick up on that I am saying she is unsaved. Some people bristle at being accused of that.

Anyway, I appreciate your helpful ideas, Believer1997 :101: and everyone else out there too...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

The Guidepost books are easily understandable and most of the stories are only a few pages long, so it keeps one's interest.

Well, since you can type very long posts here, instead of highlighting Scripture go to one of the online bible sites, copy and paste the entire bible into a word document. Then, use the highlighting tools to highlight things in the bible on the computer :emot-dance:

As far as your mom,

I have a parent who is 49. She may not be considered elderly but she has dementia so I understand what you are going through when witnessing to her. I have a book called Your Best Life Now by Joel Oelsteen that she might like. It is very easy to read. It's a devotional book that includes guided prayer.

Listen, I want you to know that the Holy Spirit will do the convicting, not us. So, with that truth, why not buy a movie for her like Passion of the Christ or something that shows the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ??? A popular movie with big actors like that work probably. Just ask her to have movie day with you or something like that. Everyone likes movies right?

I can't "have movie day with my mom!" I haven't seen her (Not by choice. I miss her dearly!) in many years. That is why I am so sad and frustrated about this. Or else I could just share Christ with her face to face. I can't even travel with my horrible disease. I am homebound. As for seeing any religious movies, she has no DVD player or VCR in her bedroom in the nursing home. My mother is paralyzed and bedridden, in a city far away from me. I am poor and unable to buy her a dvd player... Or else I would! I will be doing good if I can even afford a book. :emot-dance: Of course, the Holy Spirit does the convicting! But the Bible also says,"How shall they know, if no one tells them?" So she needs the Gospel EXPLAINED by someone first... Then the Holy Spirit works through the Gospel presentation. Thanks ;) for sympathizing about the difficulty witnessing to a mom with dementia. 49 years old seems so young to be getting it!! Isn't that rare? I wanted to ask about your idea about the 'Your Best Life Now' book. Does it actually explain about Salvation in it? I am not that familiar with Joel Osteen. I guess I thought his ministry was aimed at those who are already Christians.

The Guidepost books are easily understandable and most of the stories are only a few pages long, so it keeps one's interest.

Thanks for the tip. ;) Could you possibly pm me the snail mail address of the Guideposts books? Also, are they just stories or do they actually explain the gospel in them?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

What about audio Turtle? Here we have a number of books that are narrated on CD. I often listen to a book when traveling long distance (driving myself). While nothing beats actually reading a book (I even like the smell of the pages :( ), I have heard some amazing books on CD in my car, from classic to modern, and most of our libraries lend them out just as they would a book.

Blessings