• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I've always considered recorded "worship" music to be somewhat redundant.

There is a place for it.

People like me who are not musically inclined have more of a need for it than someone like you who composes music.

I couldn't "sing a new song" if I tried.

Unless you actually like hearing mindless babber as I try to think of words to express what I feel mixed in with a melody that sounds like a cat begging for food.

The question is "Does God like mindless babber? " It is He you are worshipping. :thumbsup:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

I've always considered recorded "worship" music to be somewhat redundant.

There is a place for it.

People like me who are not musically inclined have more of a need for it than someone like you who composes music.

I couldn't "sing a new song" if I tried.

Unless you actually like hearing mindless babber as I try to think of words to express what I feel mixed in with a melody that sounds like a cat begging for food.

The question is "Does God like mindless babber? " It is He you are worshipping. :thumbsup:

I agree! God gave us all minds, would you be interested in communicating with you friends if it was "mindless babber"? What kind of intelligent life carries on like that? Closer to animals life or heathenish people jumping around camp fires babbling nonsense! Baboons maybe? The psalms are beautiful poetry, I can't imagine that "mindless babber" in the verses of Psalms. I know God loves everyone, but he is not stupid, nor does he want anything but our best when we worship him. What about just singing, Praise God, I'm redeemed and thanking him for his goodness? The devil is scared to death people might actually praise God and that God would be pleased by it. Sorry if this offends anyone, but true music played and sung to is a FAR cry from a lot of junk out there. Or maybe we should all go back to our cribs and ga ga, goo goo. We're grown for heaven's sake. Gotta love me.....just my opinion!!!!

Edited by Miss Elly

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Nebula, if you lived closer, I'd invite you to come to the local jail with me. :thumbsup: George has visited and knows what I speak of.

We have an inmate choir that writes their own music and lyrics. The leader is a man who hadn't touched a keyboard for over 30 years. He responded to God's call one day about 18 months ago and was saved. Since that day, he has been on-fire for the Lord BUT not in an obnoxious way. He asked if he could use an old keyboard we had laying around and I agreed. He has since written about 50 songs and formed an inmate choir. The choir is where it's at in the jail now...even some young gang-bangers gave up the gang and joined the choir...and then were saved. :thumbsup:

Every Monday night, they lead us in worship after our opening prayer. I have also taken them out to our local church where they lead us in worship; they have the congregation standing with arms lifted high...leading them into a true worship experience. One of the inmates even wrote a rap song from his heart glorifying God. My Pastor was a bit reluctant at first so I had him perform it one night when my Pastor visited the jail. The very next Sunday, he had the young man rap his song and by the time he was done, the congregation was on their feet with tears in their eyes!

I'd love to share it with you. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

Nebula, if you lived closer, I'd invite you to come to the local jail with me. :thumbsup: George has visited and knows what I speak of.

We have an inmate choir that writes their own music and lyrics. The leader is a man who hadn't touched a keyboard for over 30 years. He responded to God's call one day about 18 months ago and was saved. Since that day, he has been on-fire for the Lord BUT not in an obnoxious way. He asked if he could use an old keyboard we had laying around and I agreed. He has since written about 50 songs and formed an inmate choir. The choir is where it's at in the jail now...even some young gang-bangers gave up the gang and joined the choir...and then were saved. :wub:

Every Monday night, they lead us in worship after our opening prayer. I have also taken them out to our local church where they lead us in worship; they have the congregation standing with arms lifted high...leading them into a true worship experience. One of the inmates even wrote a rap song from his heart glorifying God. My Pastor was a bit reluctant at first so I had him perform it one night when my Pastor visited the jail. The very next Sunday, he had the young man rap his song and by the time he was done, the congregation was on their feet with tears in their eyes!

sounds inspiring!!! I'm an Amtrak expert now....might have to think about a visit... :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

We have an inmate choir that writes their own music and lyrics. The leader is a man who hadn't touched a keyboard for over 30 years. He responded to God's call one day about 18 months ago and was saved. Since that day, he has been on-fire for the Lord BUT not in an obnoxious way. He asked if he could use an old keyboard we had laying around and I agreed. He has since written about 50 songs and formed an inmate choir. The choir is where it's at in the jail now...even some young gang-bangers gave up the gang and joined the choir...and then were saved. :thumbsup:

Just proves that true worship comes from the heart. Do you work at the jail or do you just have a ministry there?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Nebula, if you lived closer, I'd invite you to come to the local jail with me. :blink: George has visited and knows what I speak of.

We have an inmate choir that writes their own music and lyrics. The leader is a man who hadn't touched a keyboard for over 30 years. He responded to God's call one day about 18 months ago and was saved. Since that day, he has been on-fire for the Lord BUT not in an obnoxious way. He asked if he could use an old keyboard we had laying around and I agreed. He has since written about 50 songs and formed an inmate choir. The choir is where it's at in the jail now...even some young gang-bangers gave up the gang and joined the choir...and then were saved. :blink:

I'd love to share it with you. :wub:

Just proves that true worship comes from the heart. Do you work at the jail or do you just have a ministry there?

That's the point I was trying to make. You don't have to be Pavarotti.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The question is "Does God like mindless babber? " It is He you are worshipping. :emot-hug:

You missed my point.

I'm not good at putting my thoughts and feelings into words, especially on the spur of the moment. Nor do I have any concept of composing music.

It's great that you have this gift. Most of us don't.

I need the songs produced (and recorded) by others to express my heart. (I have found many songs that do so.)

I agree! God gave us all minds, would you be interested in communicating with you friends if it was "mindless babber"? What kind of intelligent life carries on like that? Closer to animals life or heathenish people jumping around camp fires babbling nonsense! Baboons maybe? The psalms are beautiful poetry, I can't imagine that "mindless babber" in the verses of Psalms. I know God loves everyone, but he is not stupid, nor does he want anything but our best when we worship him. What about just singing, Praise God, I'm redeemed and thanking him for his goodness? The devil is scared to death people might actually praise God and that God would be pleased by it. Sorry if this offends anyone, but true music played and sung to is a FAR cry from a lot of junk out there. Or maybe we should all go back to our cribs and ga ga, goo goo. We're grown for heaven's sake. Gotta love me.....just my opinion!!!!

Again - I don't have a gift with words.

It's one of the reasons I am an introvert in person - I have no clue what to say to anyone. :emot-hug: I know that's hard for most people to understand, but when it comes to social chit-chat and expressing my emotions - I have feelings and concepts but the words to form them just aren't there.

And yes, when I do try to sing spontaneously, it basically amounts to ga ga goo goo.

I'm serious!!!

Nebula, if you lived closer, I'd invite you to come to the local jail with me. :) George has visited and knows what I speak of.

We have an inmate choir that writes their own music and lyrics. The leader is a man who hadn't touched a keyboard for over 30 years. He responded to God's call one day about 18 months ago and was saved. Since that day, he has been on-fire for the Lord BUT not in an obnoxious way. He asked if he could use an old keyboard we had laying around and I agreed. He has since written about 50 songs and formed an inmate choir. The choir is where it's at in the jail now...even some young gang-bangers gave up the gang and joined the choir...and then were saved. :laugh:

I'd love to share it with you. :emot-hug:

That sounds awesome, Wayne!

I understand what you are saying. My father told me a story the other day about a Christian musician who travelled the WORLD playing God's music, never EVER charging a dime. My father told me that he always had what he needed regardless.

I think a lot of Christian music today has become worldly in a sense that just like secular music, it's all about fame, money and women.

So, I totally understand how you feel. I've also been thinking a lot about it lately as well.....I don't think that's a coincidence.

And maybe this is not even what you were talking about in your OP

Actually Jami, what you have touched on is part of the reason for what is behind what I'm discouraged about.

I'm glad youunderstand.

:emot-hug: