~Shalhevet~

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

If you read the Sermon on the Mount carefully you cannot fail to recognise that one of Christ's frst ministerial tasks was to identify that 'The Law' was but a schoolmaster pointing to the reality of God's New Covenant.

A reality which would not expunge one jot or tittle of the rigidly defined shadow, but would raise every aspect to a new higher level of Spiritual reqirement.

In respect of the 4th commandment "there remaineth a rest unto the people of God"

But how is it in no way expunged yet raised to a new level of spiritual requirement?

By keeping EVERY day 'Holy unto the Lord'

Which day you choose to 'assemble together', and how often you do so, is not a matter of Sabbatarian relevance.

No longer is 'Holy unto the Lord' a factor of physical work.....It is now a factor of Spiritual dedication.

God originally rested on the 'seventh' day in commemoration of completion of his work of Creation.

In Christ we are now the result of the completion of a new work of creation (a work of re-creation in fact)

That is the sense in which there 'remaineth a rest unto the people of God '......we now rest in Christ and his finished work.

And who wants to do that only one day in seven??

Mike.

My dear friend, can you please tell me where in the Ten Commandments says that? Of course not, because the Ten Commandments of God are commandments of LOVE.

Don't confuse with other commandments that were suppose to banish; but the ten are permanent a God is. By the way there were many penalties of death for braking the commanemts; one of them was adultery; So, what that means for you now? It is OK to commit adultery? Think about it.

It will help a lot if you mention where in the Bible says that. But I know exactly what are you saying a complete misunderstood of the word of God.

Jesus clearly said that He didn

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many sabbaths besides the once a week variety. There are 7 annual Jewish festivals which are also Sabbaths. There are sabbath years etc.

Since I am under Grace instead of Mosaic law, I feel no need to keep any of the Sabbaths...though I feel others may certainly do so if they wish.

Romans 6:14 For sin will have no mastery over you, because you are not under law but under grace.

Galations 2:16 yet we know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by the faithfulness of Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Well lets start with Rom 6:14, was Paul confuse or is you the one that is confuse, the reason that I say this is because Paul said so much about the law of God:

Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Please notice that he said

History of religion reveals that it was way long after the death of the apostles that a politico-religious system repudiated the Sabbath of Scripture and substituted the observance of the Sabbath for the first day of the week. This may shack some but here are some quotations, all from Roman Catholic sources, freely acknowledge that there is no Biblical authority for the observance of Sunday, that it was the Roman Church that changed the Sabbath to the first day of the week. And no one can prove this different, is in history.

James Cardinal Gibbons, The Faith of our Fathers, 88th ed., pp. 89.

"But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify."

Stephen Keenan, A Doctrinal Catechism 3rd ed., p. 174.

"Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

"Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her - she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday, the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday, the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority."

Daniel Ferres, ed., Manual of Christian Doctrine p.67.

"Question: How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holy days?

"Answer: By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of, and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church.'

Catholic Virginian Oct. 3, 1947, p. 9, art. "To Tell You the Truth."

"For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman Catholic] church outside the Bible."

Peter Geiermann, C.S.S.R., The Converts Catechism of Catholic Doctrine p. 50.

"Question: Which is the Sabbath day?

"Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.

"Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?

"Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday."

Peter R. Kraemer, Catholic Church Extension Society (1975),Chicago, Illinois.

"Regarding the change from the observance of the Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday, I wish to draw your attention to the facts:

That Protestants, who accept the Bible as the only rule of faith and religion, should by all means go back to the observance of the Sabbath. The fact that they do not, but on the contrary observe the Sunday, stultifies them in the eyes of every thinking man.

We Catholics do not accept the Bible as the only rule of faith. Besides the Bible we have the living Church, the authority of the Church, as a rule to guide us. We say, this Church, instituted by Christ to teach and guide man through life, has the right to change the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament and hence, we accept her change of the Sabbath to Sunday. We frankly say, yes, the Church made this change, made this law, as she made many other laws, for instance, the Friday abstinence, the unmarried priesthood, the laws concerning mixed marriages, the regulation of Catholic marriages and a thousand other laws.

"It is always somewhat laughable, to see the Protestant churches, in pulpit and legislation, demand the observance of Sunday, of which there is nothing in their Bible."

End of quotetions.

Well, this is something to think about.

Matthew 15:9 And in vain they worship Me, Teaching [as] doctrines the commandments of men.' "

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I don't think God cares which day of the week we reserve for the Sabbath. That should not even be a debate and we should not make anyone feel any less for recognizing Sunday, or Tuesday for that matter, as the Sabbath. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sunday as a Sabbath. These sorts of debates are nonsense and this is not why I started this thread. Now does anyone else want to share HOW they keep the Sabbath holy?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

'priest4Him' date='Jan 26 2010, 06:56 AM' post='1495496']

'Fez' post='1494972' date='Jan 25 2010, 03:16 AM']Sometimes I just slouch around the house, go out buy the Sunday papers (we have church in the evening on Sundays). Maybe I will post a bit on worthy, or do some repairs needed around the house. And sometimes I might even go fishing in the morning. I mean, define work in relationship to the NT to me. Should I only be walking as far as a "Sabbath walk"? Hey if I go to the shop I drive.... I drive to church after all (it's a long way away). Just walking around my house I probably do more than a sabbath walks distance!

So sue me...... :verkle:

That is exactly what happens when we deviate from the true Sabbath, we don

I think it is best if you inform us if you are talking about Saturday, as being the Sabbath, or Sunday, the day most Christians today worship on, so there is no confusion.

Why would it matter? Whatever day you choose to keep the day, it is the Sabbath, right? :cool: My Sabbath is Sunday.

I have to disagree. Even that for you is OK; for God is one day more important than others and that is the Seventh-day of the week. And I am sure that your pastor knows this, to prove it just tell him that since any day is the same, you decided to keep the Sabbath on Saturday. You

'priest4Him' date='Jan 26 2010, 06:56 AM' post='1495496']

'Fez' post='1494972' date='Jan 25 2010, 03:16 AM']Sometimes I just slouch around the house, go out buy the Sunday papers (we have church in the evening on Sundays). Maybe I will post a bit on worthy, or do some repairs needed around the house. And sometimes I might even go fishing in the morning. I mean, define work in relationship to the NT to me. Should I only be walking as far as a "Sabbath walk"? Hey if I go to the shop I drive.... I drive to church after all (it's a long way away). Just walking around my house I probably do more than a sabbath walks distance!

So sue me...... :cool:

That is exactly what happens when we deviate from the true Sabbath, we don

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Does no one here care that I NEED to know what you do on the Sabbath?? Why do you get so caught up in foolish disputes? Just answer my question. If you want to start a debate start your own thread. So far only a few have answered me. How sad.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

Does no one here care that I NEED to know what you do on the Sabbath?? Why do you get so caught up in foolish disputes? Just answer my question. If you want to start a debate start your own thread. So far only a few have answered me. How sad.

what you do on the Sabbath has a great deal to do with how you view it. And how you view it is a big part of which day you think it is. If you truly want to keep the Sabbath you should be doing it on Saturday and the Old Testament is full of the rules on what to do and what not to do.

Technically speaking, the sabbath is sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. You should honour the Lord on the Sabbath (and every other day!). What you do on the Sabbath depends on whether or not you want to observe the sabbath in the same way that the Jews did, or not.