~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

This is really for Yod and Neb although I'm sure others have some great recommendations.

What resources did you read to learn about the difference between the Greek hellenistic and the Hebraic mindset?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I am sure there will be others who offer what they use, but for me, I use the following:

The Complete Word Study Dictionary Series. For the Hebrew - ISBN 0-89957-667-2 and for the Greek - ISBN 0-89957-663-X

Both follow the Strong's Concordance numbering system for quick and easy look up. I have found the Hebrew dictionary to be less informative then the Greek. If others have a better Hebrew Word Study Dictionary, I would like to hear of it.

I am sure there will be others who offer what they use, but for me, I use the following:

The Complete Word Study Dictionary Series. For the Hebrew - ISBN 0-89957-667-2 and for the Greek - ISBN 0-89957-663-X

Both follow the Strong's Concordance numbering system for quick and easy look up. I have found the Hebrew dictionary to be less informative then the Greek. If others have a better Hebrew Word Study Dictionary, I would like to hear of it.

ta

It's not actually word studies I am after though, more comparisons or explanations of concepts. For example, I have heard them speak about the difference between the greek and hebraic concepts of time (hebraic time can be circular) and the difference between their concept of community.

So a book I could read, that would highlight the difference in thinking / mindset, would be great.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

ta

It's not actually word studies I am after though, more comparisons or explanations of concepts. For example, I have heard them speak about the difference between the greek and hebraic concepts of time (hebraic time can be circular) and the difference between their concept of community.

So a book I could read, that would highlight the difference in thinking / mindset, would be great.

NP ... even though they do go into the mindset of the time, for what you say, I think you are looking for more then what they give here. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

So the search continues...

One elementary webpage here (don't trust what you read online!)

On my googling :laugh: I also found this article / opinion piece, in which the value of seeking the hebraic mindset over the hellenistic one is mocked. Huh?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. I had no idea that approaching the scriptures from a hebraic perspective was not highly regarded by some. Or is it that they dislike the elevation of hebraic thought over greek hellenistic thought?

:thumbsup:

Shameless bump :noidea:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sorry, andy - I always have to do a google search.

OK - I found something buried within a Bookmark:

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/12_thought.html

Sorry, andy - I always have to do a google search.

OK - I found something buried within a Bookmark:

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/12_thought.html

Ta, Neb :noidea:

OK this is a silly question but I'll ask anyway :emot-hug: .

When I read the epistles written by gentiles, should I be reading that with the greek mindset? Did the greek hellenstic mindset apply to them as well, or did that come later in history?

The reading has been interesting so far. For example, knowing that the Hebrews valued their worth through family relationships more than money/material possessions/power, makes the statements by Jesus below even more amazing!

Mat 19:29 And everyone who left houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

I guess in my mind, I could leave my family and still be "rich" and have personal value.

It has been a welcomed eye opener!

We have sought to understand the incomprehensible God in concrete, yet abstract, terms. But, "To the Jewish mind, the understanding of God is not achieved by referring to a Greek way to timeless qualities of Supreme Being, to ideas of goodness and perfection, but rather by sensing the living acts of His concern, to His dynamic attentiveness to man. We speak not of His goodness in general but of His compassion for the individual man in a particular situation" (Heschel, p. 21). In other words, God is not "known" in the abstract, but in the specific situations into which He has asserted Himself. God is what He has revealed Himself to be, not what we have theorized Him to be.

Heschel also writes, "The Greeks learned in order to comprehend. The Hebrews learned in order to revere. The modern man learns in order to use" (ibid. p. 34)

This about sums up where I am at with my church at the moment. I feel like all of their sermons are geared towards the mechanics of being a christian and doing christian things, rather than developing a greater sense of reverence. It's great to have topical / application sermons, but something has always been a little amiss.

As usual, I am rambling and not making a lot of coherent sense :cool: but I have been experiecing a lot of joy as I begin to see things afresh, with a bit more clarify.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

When I read the epistles written by gentiles, should I be reading that with the greek mindset? Did the greek hellenstic mindset apply to them as well, or did that come later in history?

I don't understand the question. Luke was the only Gentile writer of the New Testament, and he didn't write any of the Epistles.

But if this makes sense - the way James makes a big deal about faith being manifested by works . . . i am suspecting that he was trying to explain the Hebraic concept of faith to a Gentile audience.