IGNORED

Who said we can't legislate morality?

e lansing

That is not entirely true. Society as a whole elects people to represent us, and most of the time, those people used a certain amount of deceit to get elected about what they stand for. Those representatives passed laws based on their morality, which at times went against the will of the majority. At other times, activist judges went against the legislature and the people.

yea, yea, yea. :thumbsup:

out of the 1000's of laws out there, the majority of people agree with the vast majority of those laws. The fact that some minorities don

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

We can make all the laws in the world, but true morality comes from the heart. How do you legislate that? If you say by passing laws, there are laws that protect the rights of the mother who wants an abortion, for the GLTG group to have nobody tell them they are wrong, for schools to remove God ... the list keeps growing.

OL what do you say about Jer 17:9; The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked;Who can know it?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I don't think we can (or should) legislate about morality in it's entirety. My personal opinion is that we legislate (based on moral principles) only about those things which impinge on our safety, security and rights.

So, should we do away with stealing laws because the laws won't keep people from stealing?

Is it not the same idea?

no, it is not the same idea.

Stealing is easy to define and easy to know.

lust is not so easy.

Right! However, abortion is killing, we have laws for this, but it does not apply to the unborn. Issues of the heart cannot be govern from outside sources. Choices that effect others can and should.

I don't think we can (or should) legislate about morality in it's entirety. My personal opinion is that we legislate (based on moral principles) only about those things which impinge on our safety, security and rights.

Let me ask you something. How do you feel about seat belt laws? How about laws that prevent restaurants from having smoking sections? I am personally opposed to both, as I don't feel like they are harming anyone but the people choosing to smoke or go without seat belts. What about laws against prostitution or smoking pot? :noidea:

You can't force people into a relationship with Jesus any more than you can force laws on anyone.

Now the OP is about a general legislating morality question, is it not? If we do away with all legislation that has a "moral" element to it, what laws will we have left?

The argument isn't what is the best way to change society, but can moral behavior can be legislated or not.

it was your quote, not mine.

as for legislating morality, yes of course every law has a bit of morality in it.

It is the morality that the society as a collective has agreeed upon, not what one group or another feels is right or wrong.

RG do think that there are more people that think abortion should be legal or more of te other?

That is not entirely true. Society as a whole elects people to represent us, and most of the time, those people used a certain amount of deceit to get elected about what they stand for. Those representatives passed laws based on their morality, which at times went against the will of the majority. At other times, activist judges went against the legislature and the people.

yea, yea, yea. :noidea:

out of the 1000's of laws out there, the majority of people agree with the vast majority of those laws. The fact that some minorities don

When it comes to the abortion thing, we can legislate laws that are good or bad, this is not the issue. The issue is what laws we will chose to enact and support! What does this say about a society that allows the killing of the unborn? 1st, shows a lack of fear of God. 2nd, our values means nothing if they do not honor God of the Bible. Our society has drifted so far from God and we have more laws then ever and yet look at us, we want morality apart from God and look at what we have today! Jesus is our only hope!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

We can make all the laws in the world, but true morality comes from the heart. How do you legislate that? If you say by passing laws, there are laws that protect the rights of the mother who wants an abortion, for the GLTG group to have nobody tell them they are wrong, for schools to remove God ... the list keeps growing.

OL what do you say about Jer 17:9; The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked;Who can know it?

I say that the original heart of man is in that condition, but when we are saved, we are a new creation, having a new heart of flesh.

I say that the original heart of man is in that condition, but when we are saved, we are a new creation, having a new heart of flesh.

This statement could start a new thread. I find that verse to be a reality as a Christian. I think Paul and Peter would agree. I am saved and my flesh still love to battle, only because of the issues of my heart. I strive to do right but i stumble. Thank God for His grace!