• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

What are your thoughts on this passage?

Heb 12:1-4 MKJV

1 Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God.

3 For consider Him who endured such contradiction of sinners against Himself, lest you be weary and faint in your minds.

4 You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

The next few verses go on to talk about the Lord disciplining those He loves.

Some commentaries I have read, link this verse with verse 2, and speak about Jesus in the Garden, where He really did sweat blood.

What does it mean to us today to 'resist unto blood'?

Hebrews 12 is a very challenging chapter for me at the moment. :huh:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Yes thats exactly what it means. It's a real medical condition when under extreme stress.. so that is what he was talking about.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I simply took it to mean that he's rebuking them for being lazy in striving against sin.

Resisting temptation is hard, sometimes it hurts. Breaking a bad habit of sin is hard.

When I read this verse, I think it's an expression of lack of passion and strain (pushing themselves beyond the comfort zone) in struggling against sin.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

1) Resist unto blood. 2) What does this mean for us today?

1) Without reading my commentaries, this means to resist up to and including death. The commentaries use the pugilist as an example, although bloodied, his blood being upon the ground or canvas, is steadfast, determined to be the victor. We, as Christians, our adversary being sin, are called to resist as strongly as the example of the pugilist. We are reminded that most of the time we are not put into a situation as drastic, but that our resistance to sin should not be less.

2) In today's world, it still occurs, but very few are called to shed blood or die in the service of our Lord. All the more reason for us to resist sin as if our very life depended on it, yet at the same time be willing to give up that life in the defeat of sin.

We are to be obedient to His word. Christ Jesus our example, who was obedient to the letter unto death.

This brief study causes me to wonder if " tolerance " is a sin in itself ?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1959

1) Resist unto blood. 2) What does this mean for us today?

1) Without reading my commentaries, this means to resist up to and including death. The commentaries use the pugilist as an example, although bloodied, his blood being upon the ground or canvas, is steadfast, determined to be the victor. We, as Christians, our adversary being sin, are called to resist as strongly as the example of the pugilist. We are reminded that most of the time we are not put into a situation as drastic, but that our resistance to sin should not be less.

2) In today's world, it still occurs, but very few are called to shed blood or die in the service of our Lord. All the more reason for us to resist sin as if our very life depended on it, yet at the same time be willing to give up that life in the defeat of sin.

We are to be obedient to His word. Christ Jesus our example, who was obedient to the letter unto death.

This brief study causes me to wonder if " tolerance " is a sin in itself ?

I'm with you on the way I understand this scripture. The New Living Translation makes it clearer:

1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

1 Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

2 looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God.

3 For consider Him who endured such contradiction of sinners against Himself, lest you be weary and faint in your minds.

4 You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

The next few verses go on to talk about the Lord disciplining those He loves.

Some commentaries I have read, link this verse with verse 2, and speak about Jesus in the Garden, where He really did sweat blood.

What does it mean to us today to 'resist unto blood'?

Hebrews 12 is a very challenging chapter for me at the moment. :whistling:

<_<

The context of Hebrews is Jewish believers wanting to return to the Law of Moses (all of it) with its regulations and laws and practices. My guess is that they wished to escape persecution by the Jewish system of the time.

Anyhow. The Hebrew writer (in my opinion) reminds his readers that Jesus faced the same temptation. After all, Jesus instituted the new covenant, doing away with the old one and with its regulations and practices. However, our Lord resisted the temptation to keep a system of worship that never can justify humankind in the eyes of God.

The devil tempted our Lord in the wilderness to take the easy road. The Jewish leaders of that time tempted the Lord to join them. (Math 11: 17). But our Lord resisted the temptation to the point of shedding his blood on the cross. The Hebrew writer, in my opinion, reminds his readers that they had not gone as far as shedding their blood on the cross.

The weight and the sin mentioned in in Heb 12:1 (in my opinion) refers to the the old covenant and the temptation to return to the Law of Moses as a means of 'salvation'.

Heb 12: 2

looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God.

What does this mean for us today? Me thinks it is a warning not to seek salvation by our own works. We are to trust completely in the work of Christ for our salvation. It is by faith in Christ that we enter into the grace of God (Rom 5: 1,2).

:laugh:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

It could also mean that Jesus was training the disciples for more, and although they had resisted sin they had not yet understood, or reached it's full meaning. Jesus did not sweat blood resisting, He sweated blood praying, knowing what was coming and what was at stake.

Could it also mean that they had not yet resisted as far as martyrdom, or death, because He must have known what was in store for all of them except John?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

It could also mean that Jesus was training the disciples for more, and although they had resisted sin they had not yet understood, or reached it's full meaning. Jesus did not sweat blood resisting, He sweated blood praying, knowing what was coming and what was at stake.

Could it also mean that they had not yet resisted as far as martyrdom, or death, because He must have known what was in store for all of them except John?

Hmm not sure. These are Paul's words to the Hebrews, not Jesus directly speaking to His disciples. I find it hard to believe that all the Hebrews were called to be martyrs.

I agree with Neb's understanding, I just found it interesting the links that the commentaries I read made (which, may not be correct).

<_<

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.82
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

4 "You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin."
The Lord doesn't call upon believers to go to the Cross and to shed their blood, regarding the resistance of sin. Jesus has already done that for us.