• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

OK... so what do you do with the apparant contradictions (in the bible) that would come in, if you believed that? First example off the top of my head is genealogies.

I do very much the same thing you probably do with contradictions in the NT genealogies of Matthew and Luke (Matthew has Joseph as a descendant of Solomon whereas Luke has Joseph as a descendant of Nathan) in that I recognize that they are written for purposes other than the kind of sequential history we use today.

Lurker

Matthew's genealogies follows Joseph, cause in the Jewish tradition it was custom to list the male's blood line, Luke was a gentile. He was Greek and it is believed that he was in much contact with Mary. His genealogy follows Marry. The reason why both are listed, Mathews is for the Jew, to show he is a descendant of David. Luke is written for the gentile, but to also show that Jesus is in the blood line of David.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/04/1963

What part do you need evidence for?

The ones in bold:

Inerrancy? Too err is human... And humans wrote the Bible and rewrote it and canonized it and twisted it and translated it -and retranslated it and added to it and abridged it and threw out parts and misquoted it.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

Hitler twisted it

Luther abridged it

Catholicism added to it etc etc etc

all throughout history man has Misinterpretted and misused the Bible, so I am Leary of people who claim inerrancy because a lot of times it just means my understanding is correct and all others are wrong.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

OK... so what do you do with the apparant contradictions (in the bible) that would come in, if you believed that? First example off the top of my head is genealogies.

I do very much the same thing you probably do with contradictions in the NT genealogies of Matthew and Luke (Matthew has Joseph as a descendant of Solomon whereas Luke has Joseph as a descendant of Nathan) in that I recognize that they are written for purposes other than the kind of sequential history we use today.

Lurker

There is no contradiction. Jesus was the descendent of both Nathan and Solomon. You simply lack the biblical prowess to understand how the genealogies work.

Was that last sentence really necessary?

I really do believe there was death but not human death prior to the fall. I think the (one of) biblical definition of death is the separation of the soul from the body. If there was no soul there was no death not in a physical sense of separation of body and soul neither in a spiritual sense of God and man.

Just my thoughts on it.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/07/1961

Regardless of what some have said and others have tried to do; the Bible is inerrant.

This means that everything has been accurately recorded as God wanted it.

This does not mean that every single word was spoken by God or one of His spokesmen.

Some things recorded were stated by mere men (uninspired); even Satan is quoted, but he is the father of lies.

To what ever subject the Bible addresses itself, when it is from God or one of His spokesmen, it is factually accurate.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/04/1963

Hitler twisted it

Luther abridged it

all throughout history man has Misinterpretted and misused the Bible, so I am Leary of people who claim inerrancy because a lot of times it just means my understanding is correct and all others are wrong.

All of that has nothing to do with the doctrine of Inerrancy. You are referring to issues like misinterpretation or misapplication.

Guest shiloh357

Lurker

There is no contradiction. Jesus was the descendent of both Nathan and Solomon. You simply lack the biblical prowess to understand how the genealogies work.

Was that last sentence really necessary?

I really do believe there was death but not human death prior to the fall. I think the (one of) biblical definition of death is the separation of the soul from the body. If there was no soul there was no death not in a physical sense of separation of body and soul neither in a spiritual sense of God and man.

Just my thoughts on it.

It was an assessment of his interpretative skills or lack thereof, where biblical genealogies are concerned. As for your remarks, the the Bible says that there will be NO death (not even the animals) when sin is finally and fully eradicated from this world. That tells us that before sin, there was no death of living creatures. Death was not engineered into the creation before sin and will not be here after sin.

Guest shiloh357
Hitler twisted it

Luther abridged it

You obviously have no idea what inerrancy means. Inerrancy means that everything in the Bible is truthfully recorded and is recorded without error.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Aur contraire, Kind Lurker of Sorts, modern science does indeed confirm Holy Writ. Why knock it? Consider if you will the fact that the Bible was penned thousands of years ago. Compare it with science TODAY, versus the Bible THEN -

Bible THEN - earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40); incalculable number of stars (Jeremiah 33); free float of earth in space (Job 26); each star is different ( 1 Cor. 15:41); light moves ( Job 38); air has weight (Job 28); blood is source of life & health (Lev. 17); ocean floor contains deep valleys & mountains (2 Samuel 22:16; Jonah 2:6); oceans contain springs (Job 38); etc, etc, etc. All penned thousands of years before modern science! Hundreds more canbe underscored. And to boot, the Bible is the very Book that remains on the battlefields of life to preach the funerals of those who oppose it! Chuck Darwin - Chuck Darwin yet! - was one striking example of a Bible-related funeral. Yup, some KFC chickens do indeed come home to roost.

Science THEN - earth was flat disk; only 1100 stars; earth sat on large animal; light was fixed in place; all stars were the same; winds all blew straight; sick people must be bled; ocean floor was flat; air was weightless; hands to be washed in still water; etc, etc, etc. Hundreds more can be underscored.

Science TODAY (FINALLY!) - earth is a sphere; incalculable number of stars; light moves; air has weight; winds blow in cyclones; oceans floors are indeed deep & mountainous; each star is indeed different; creation is made of invisible elements (atoms); free float of earth in space; etc, etc, etc. Long thousands of years after the "mistaken" Holy Bible underscored scientific facts against the thots of science, the truth is that science is now finally catching up with God's tremendous Word of Truth! Welcome to the Club, Charles D.!! Welcome to the Club!! You've been a long time a-wakin', C.D.,no? :rolleyes:

P.S. Just thinking: If America could put a man on the moon, couldn't it also place Nancy Pelosi there as well? :emot-pray:

AWESOME post! :emot-pray:

Oh, and add Harry Reid to that moon base, please! :whistling:

Guest shiloh357
Let me get this straight, you're saying that we find fossils and other traces of living things like algal blooms and dinosaur bones because the earth is billions of years old and forms of life existed prior to the events recorded in Genesis but you can't answer whether or not physical death existed prior to the fall? How exactly do you think their bones ended up in the ground for us to find? Did their soft tissue slough off and get carried off to heaven?
That question presumes a young earth creation. Even if we place the creation and fall at several millions of years in the past, it still does not preclude the fact that nothing died prior to the fall, whenever it happend.

So. . .things died without. . .dying?
Nope. No creatures died prior to the fall.