IGNORED

Why do "most" Protestants not use the Sign of the Cross?

Attreyu

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

It's just a ritual that means nothing to many Christians.

If it means nothing then it shouldn't bother them if I do it right?

I doubt many would even notice.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

In a somewhat related topic: my husband's family is Independent Baptist. I was raised Southern Baptist. Neither of us ever experienced rituals like crossing oneself or using repetitive prayers. (I've memorized The Lord's Prayer, but not because I think reciting it is somehow pious or particularly beneficial. My understanding and belief is that it was given to us as a model for our own prayers. Back to the topic at hand. :) )

I have never been superstitious. I find it absurd behavior, especially for a Christian. Which was why I was outright stunned when I was riding with my father-in-law in his truck once when a black cat darted across the road in front of us. He crossed himself instantly. I was too shocked to react. I have laughed about it since, but I also feel disappointed that he would do something so superstitious. 1st: black cats are just cats like any others. I've owned black cats before and never viewed them as evil or somehow unlucky. (I don't actually believe luck exists either.) 2nd: I do not know why any Christian would think making the sign of the cross would somehow ward off perceived evil. (I'm not saying I don't believe evil exists, but a simple act of crossing oneself is no way to deal with it.)

Having said all this, I do not see any problem with it in the way Attreyu is describing his use of the ritual. I wear a cross as a way of identifying myself as a Christian and as a tangible reminder to myself in those moments when I feel myself slipping. What Attreyu is describing seems to be the same. I don't worship the cross, I worship Christ. And I don't really care whether the implement that was used to kill Jesus was a pole, a pike, a stake, a "T" shaped cross or some kind of "X." It's like Christmas to me. It's the accepted tradition and so long as it is fine with me so long as it is viewed correctly. So cross yourself if you like, Attreyu. In answer to your original question, I cannot think of any passage of scripture that would prohibit it so long as you don't ascribe some mystical power to the motion.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I remember that Carol Burnett used to tug on her earlobe at the end of her show as a secret sign to tell her kids "I love you". I do not understand why anyone needs to genuflect - The Catholic church and some Episcopal churches do it.... personally, I don't need a sign of the cross to tell Jesus I love and respect Him.

:whistling:

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

There are definite points during the liturgy that one is to cross themselves. After recieving the host , after "blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord"

after "Father, Son , and Holy Spirit" after "resurrection of the dead" when reciting the nicene creed. After recieving the wine. When entering the sanctuary, when approaching the cross on Good Friday mass. Making a small cross on your forehead, lips and heart before the reading of the gospel.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I remember that Carol Burnett used to tug on her earlobe at the end of her show as a secret sign to tell her kids "I love you".

I thought Carol did that as a "hello" to her grandmother? :whistling:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

There are definite points during the liturgy that one is to cross themselves. After recieving the host , after "blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord"

after "Father, Son , and Holy Spirit" after "resurrection of the dead" when reciting the nicene creed. After recieving the wine. When entering the sanctuary, when approaching the cross on Good Friday mass. Making a small cross on your forehead, lips and heart before the reading of the gospel.

Perhaps you could elaborate as to the specific meanings and why someone would do this?

Having been an adherent of this Religious practice I will tell you that it takes you no closer to God.

What are the Biblical requirements for entering the presence of the Lord?

Peace,

Dave

I remember that Carol Burnett used to tug on her earlobe at the end of her show as a secret sign to tell her kids "I love you".

I thought Carol did that as a "hello" to her grandmother? :rolleyes:

Hi to Grandmother - I love you to the kids - w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r .... :whistling:

Perhaps you could elaborate as to the specific meanings and why someone would do this?

Having been an adherent of this Religious practice I will tell you that it takes you no closer to God.

What are the Biblical requirements for entering the presence of the Lord?

Peace,

Dave

That is my question, also ... Where in the Scriptures does it describe that we are to use a sign of the cross, etc?

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

You are not required, but I do. It is an Anglican tradition, especially in the high church or broad church worship styles. I think it is a way to keep yourself centered on the cross. The sacrament of communion is central to the episcopal church.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.84
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

You are not required, but I do. It is an Anglican tradition, especially in the high church or broad church worship styles. I think it is a way to keep yourself centered on the cross. The sacrament of communion is central to the episcopal church.

AHA! That explains everything!!