• Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,063
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  1

what good comes from Christianity?

I think someone should get rid of all the Christians

Should we repay bigotry with bigotry?

Or shall we show, by example, how to behave?

First seek to understand, then seek to correct.

Think on it.

Regards from your neighborhood atheist,

UF

Edited by UndecidedFrog

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  2

we should correct Christianity by eliminating it

I sense too much hatred and animosity in your approach. What did christians or christianity do to you that you hate them enough to favor elimination?

Regards,

UF

• Followers:  2

because they're useless and try to shove everything down people's throats

plus it's a fake religion

Well, I will disagree with you on one point...they are human, and all humans have a use.

The shoving everything down people's throats is annoying. But then humans can get annoying once in a while.

I think it is also a fake religion, like all other religions. However, if they are not infringing on other people's rights, why shouldn't they be allowed to believe the religion they choose to believe?

None of these reasons qualify to justify elimination.

Live and let live.

Regards,

UF

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I don't mind offending atheists FOR CHRIST. It's offending them or mocking them for no reason that I see no point of :whistling: .

I'm an atheist, and don't worry I'm not offended, simply because the premise of the original post is just flat wrong ;)

Basically, he says that no atheists have done any good, and proceed by listing a few horrible characters who happened to be atheists. It's like saying that no Christians have never done any good, and then providing the Spanish Conquistadors, the shady Popes, the Witch Hunts, etc as an example. That is so off the mark it can't be taken seriously.

The only difference between these two views, tho, is that tyrans like Staline, for instance, didn't kill people in the name of atheism. But to strengthen his political power. His atheism was merely a tool to ensure no other entity (i.e. the Church) would come and claim part of his power. On the other hand, the Inquisition and other atrocities have been executed in the name of Christianity. But then that doesn't mean most Christians throughout History agreed to it, or labelled murderers because someone else committed atrocities in the name of their religions.

As for the idea that no atheist ever done any good. Wow. What to reply to such absurdities? Atheists are involved in charities, public services, scientific discoveries (Einstein for instance was effectively atheist), etc. If you crash your car and you're stuck in its flaming carcass, the people who will rush to your help could be Christians, atheists, Muslims, or whatever other religions.

Also, atheists are proven good citizens. In almost every single statistics about social issues, atheists and Mormons rates amongst the best (lower teen pregnancies, lower divorce rate, lower criminal & imprisonment rate, lower chances of drugs/alcohol addictions, etc). Whereas Evangelical Christians often rates the worst. Although with all these statistics, it's important to know that the poorest people and the ones without much educations are more likely to be Christians than atheists (compared to the average balance), therefore more likely to boost social issues statistics.

There's awesome atheists and terrible atheists. There's awesome Christians and terrible Christians. Most humans are good persons, some are not. Which religion they are (or are not) has no relations. :)

Edited by Jeunet

There's awesome atheists and terrible atheists. There's awesome Christians and terrible Christians. Most humans are good persons, some are not. Which religion they are (or are not) has no relations. :)

Relationships

That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: John 1:9-12

And The Good?

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips: Romans 3:10-13

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/24/1959

Similarly, neither people with red hair or atheists have done bad things and claimed them in the name of red hair or atheism.

Overtly no one that has held atheist beliefs stated they have done what they did because they were atheist but covertly that is exactly why their evil infected the world. They have said to themselves there is no God so they do what ever they want not matter how evil it may be.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn offered the following explanation:

“ Over a half century ago, while I was still a child, I recall hearing a number of old people offer the following explanation for the great disasters that had befallen Russia: 'Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened.'

Since then I have spend well-nigh 50 years working on the history of our revolution; in the process I have read hundreds of books, collected hundreds of personal testimonies, and have already contributed eight volumes of my own toward the effort of clearing away the rubble left by that upheaval. But if I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible the main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: 'Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened.'

Vox Day notes concerning atheism and mass murder:

“ Apparently it was just an amazing coincidence that every Communist of historical note publicly declared his atheism … .there have been twenty-eight countries in world history that can be confirmed to have been ruled by regimes with avowed atheists at the helm … These twenty-eight historical regimes have been ruled by eighty-nine atheists, of whom more than half have engaged in democidal162 acts of the sort committed by Stalin and Mao …

The total body count for the ninety years between 1917 and 2007 is approximately 148 million dead at the bloody hands of fifty-two atheists, three times more than all the human beings killed by war, civil war, and individual crime in the entire twentieth century combined.

The historical record of collective atheism is thus 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity’s worst and most infamous misdeed, the Spanish Inquisition. It is not only Stalin and Mao who were so murderously inclined, they were merely the worst of the whole Hell-bound lot. For every Pol Pot whose infamous name is still spoken with horror today, there was a Mengistu, a Bierut, and a Choibalsan, godless men whose names are now forgotten everywhere but in the lands they once ruled with a red hand.

Is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules sufficient evidence that atheism does, in fact, provide a systematic influence to do bad things? If that is not deemed to be conclusive, how about the fact that the average atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them. If one considers the statistically significant size of the historical atheist set and contrasts it with the fact that not one in a thousand religious leaders have committed similarly large-scale atrocities, it is impossible to conclude otherwise, even if we do not yet understand exactly why this should be the case. Once might be an accident, even twice could be coincidence, but fifty-two incidents in ninety years reeks of causation!

Vox is right, causation it is. The evidence is clear and concise and has been for a very long time. Yet atheist after atheist wants to ignore the historical evidence, gloss it over and then tell us a story about red hair, atheists, and Christians as if it will make all the historical evidence go away. Well it is still here and won't ever go away. Atheism is a belief system unto itself and one that brings evil down on the heads of all humanity. What good has come from this belief system? None as far as I can see, nothing, zero, zilch, Nada. So Mr. Frog you have either been deceived or you have embraced a lie, either way you can only peddle your wares to the uninformed and ignorant because nothing you state can hold water. Perhaps you should examine the facts and then rethink your position. The one you hold now is on the side of the worst criminals this world has known in our lifetimes and the lifetimes of our grandfathers.

Edited by coelacanth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Overtly no one that has held atheist beliefs stated they have done what they did because they were atheist but covertly that is exactly why their evil infected the world. They have said to themselves there is no God so they do what ever they want not matter how evil it may be.

Can you please explain, then, why atheists are so under represented in prison population? Why are there so fewer, in percentage, atheists in prison than in the rest of the population?

Either they are smarter than Christians in not getting caught, or you are just utterly and ridiculously wrong. Judgement is left to the intelligent reader.

This kind of prejudice, without any evidence, is what started the biggest wars and crimes in history. Being against blacks, against immigrants, against liberals, against albinos, against jews, etc.

If I translate your words in German and replace "atheist" with "Jew", you would be indistinguishable form Joseph Goebbels.

Open your eyes and consider the Truth, viole, for the Truth shall set you free......

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  185
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Can you please explain, then, why atheists are so under represented in prison population? Why are there so fewer, in percentage, atheists in prison than in the rest of the population?

Either they are smarter than Christians in not getting caught, or you are just utterly and ridiculously wrong. Judgement is left to the intelligent reader.

This kind of prejudice, without any evidence, is what started the biggest wars and crimes in history. Being against blacks, against immigrants, against liberals, against albinos, against jews, etc.

If I translate your words in German and replace "atheist" with "Jew", you would be indistinguishable form Joseph Goebbels.

Viole, as someone who appreciates science, you have ignored the obvious flaws in this statement. First, I've never heard of any statistic comparing the ratio of christian felons to atheist felons. But more importantly, I think you are wrongly including in that group, if it exists, all those felons who become Christians after they entered prison. Lastly, and this probably goes off into a debate about baptism and salvation, or once saved can you be unsaved, if you consider violent criminals and the crimes they committed, with exceptions of course for the few pyschos that fit the Christian-bashing crime programs you see on TV or pedophile priests (people regularly associated with a church), I would wager that most violent criminals' claim to being Christians consists of them going to church once or twice on Christmas eve in their life, or were baptized when they were 2.

If we compare with countries like Sweden, where real Christians are a tiny minority, this inverse relationship between belief and social health looks even stronger.

Indeed, and this is not just for Sweden. Pretty much across the board, the more secular and atheistic a population is, the lower its crime rate. I won't go as far as saying that religion makes people criminal, but it does put a heavy burden on everyone claiming atheism makes people barbaric and without morality.

Edited by Jeunet

They have said to themselves there is no God so they do what ever they want not matter how evil it may be.

False. Humans are a social creature, therefore we have deep down in our gene a sense of morality. One that simply dictate:

Don't do to others what you don't want others do unto you. And do as much as possible to others what you'd want them to do unto you.

It's very simple. It comes from our sense of empathy, one of the only animal capable of it. Most humans are this way. Religions simply appropriate themselves this fundamental tenant of humanity's morality, and then pervert it by adding completely arbitrary pseudo-morality (don't work on Sunday! Don't say this or that word! etc).

If that wasn't the case, how then would you explain that the overwhelming majority of atheists are good people, law abiding citizens, exemplary mothers and fathers, highly educated people?

Edited by Jeunet