• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I've been thinking about sponsoring a child through world vision. Do you guys and gals know anything about that?

• Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

do it.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,792
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  224
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

After my son died I sponsored a child in his name ...all birthday / Christmas / Easter gifts that I would have given to John went to the child instead. That was also the time I stopped sending Christma cards to people and instead the money I would have spent was used to support a child in need. I persuaded the staff in the shool that I worked in not to send cards to each other but to donate the money instead and it was suprising how much was raised in theis way.

Just check out the organisation as much as you can to make sure the money is going to where YOU want it to go ...some spend so much on admin and others spend it in ways that they dont advertise :noidea:

Mine was done via a church group that took personal responsibility for the orphanages until the government stepped in and stopped overseas aid :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

I did once and I dont recommend world vision in particular.

When I sat down and calculated the percentage of what actually goes to the child, it comes to less than 10% of what you send every month. Plus, when I traveled back to Western Africa, I saw the big mansions in which world vision employees live and I said: ohhhh, now I know where those 90% of the money goes.

Maybe there are other organizations where the money reaches the children. I think you should look into them.

:24:

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

toChrist, I work in the field and I can totally sympathize with what you saw. Admin costs are never supposed to be more than 10%.

I am curious though how you got the stats that they spend 90% on themselves. this seems highly unlikely as 10% on program is so low that they probably will be shut down or even exposed by people like auditors and such.

We have to realize that the salaries these people earn while living in "developing countries" go much further than they would in western countries. I am in nicaragua right now and am living comfortably on less than $150/month (excluding rent). I can afford to eat out a few times a month and also do a bit of shopping while treating myself to things I never could never afford at home like semi-regular pedicures and manicures :thumbsup:

Having said that, it would be foolish not to do research on the organization you are working for. One place to start is charity navigator

I would recommend grassroots organizations. The smaller the organization, the more transparent and the less money needed to spend on other things (to keep the organization afloat) rather than on program.

a little extra:

We also have to pray for people who work in this field. It has one of the highest depression and suicide rates. People who work in the disaster part of NGOs usually last about 3yrs before they burn out and retire. Its a very difficult thing to see poverty everyday and to be separated from your family and basic comforts.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

I've been thinking about sponsoring a child through world vision. Do you guys and gals know anything about that?

I use Ambassadors to the nations. http://www.ambassadorstothenations.com

They are very efficient. They do not have a big staff and they do not get paid high saleries. 100% of your sponsorship goes to your child. Partners to the ministry cover the overhead of running the ministry so your money goes where it is supposed to go.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50

I sponsored a child through Compassion International. However, I'm interested now in looking into the link hr.jr. posted. Thanks brother. :thumbsup:

Guest LadyC

why not consider "sponsoring" a local food bank instead? there are children in your neighborhood who are going hungry, and food banks use 100% of the donations for feeding local families. granted, it doesn't go to a single child, but the money stretches a long way. most food banks now get there food from a primary source and pay roughly 9 cents per pound of food. so even a small donation can feed a lot of hungry people, and you know where your money is being spent.

just a thought.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

I sponsored a child through Compassion International. However, I'm interested now in looking into the link hr.jr. posted. Thanks brother. :rolleyes:

Check them out. I think you will really like what they do. I have talked with Darey and Karen several times and am always blessed by my conversations with them. They are really down to earth people and are quite a blessing to many hurting people. They do so much with so little.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Thanks for your advice everyone. I totally forgot I started this topic...

peaches what do you think of Covenant House in Toronto?

traveller, compassion looks good.. do they allow you to visit the child if you want to? What do you think of their service for your child so far. Are you happy with it? Is the child happy?

fromIslam2Christ, hr.jr. and Ladyc, i'm also considering what you've suggested