IGNORED

Sabbath or Sunday ?

Guest zionprophet

So unless Paul is a liar then we can safely say that Paul kept the Sabbath. Would you agree?

yes...and besides that, as a rabbi, the way he would observe Sabbath would be to teach. No jew would accepted him as a teacher if he was breaking the Sabbath

Acts 17:2

As his custom was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last post is only showing how uninformed about the times and customs of the first believers you are.

Every "God fearer" mentioned in the synagogues was a gentile. They did observe the feasts (though not out of obligation and not to the letter of the law because they weren't jewish) and all the apostles including Paul absolutely continued following Torah.

It looks like your biggest error is in assuming that being "under the Law" means an obedience to God's Law. I don't know why you would think that is a bad thing except that european theologians have been teaching this since the 1st century

When Paul uses the phrase "under the Law" it only means that someone who is not saved will be judged according to and by the Law instead of through grace and mercy. So ONLY unbelievers can be "under the Law"

Now...I think it is wrong to judge someone who is simply ignorant or has been beguiled by theological devices. But as the verse stated, you should not judge those who choose obedience to the Word in regard to the Sabbath or New Moon either.

Grace should go both ways according to romans 14

wow, you get snippy when someone does not agree with you.

only responding in kind.

Can you give some examples of the "God fearer" because I have no clue as the what your point is.

yeah...that's why I said you are uninformed about first century believers.

They were gentiles. Meeting on the Sabbath. You are assuming that they changed this from a position of silence in the Word. Why?

If Paul continued following Torah, did he also continue on with the sacrificial system of the Torah.

Acts 21:26

The next day Paul took the men and purified himself along with them. Then he went to the temple to give notice of the date when the days of purification would end and the offering would be made for each of them.

Acts 24:17

"After an absence of several years, I came to Jerusalem to bring my people gifts for the poor and to present offerings.

while the Temple stood, yes. The entire community continued meeting in the Temple regularly. There is no evidence to the contrary and there are plenty of verses showing they met in the Temple until it was destroyed in 70 AD. This should indicate that they didn't reject the heritage of being Israeli which is defined by the Torah as given to them by the Lord.

ok then, if believers cant be "under the Law", why would they continue with the law of the Sabbath?

Are we "free" from sin or are we "free" to sin?

Is there no obedience to God required now that we are saved? If you go to church on Sunday...are you not doing this in an attempt to obey the commandment?

I agree, I have not said it is wrong to observe the Sabboth, my issue is with those that say it is required.

I have not read the entire thread but I didn't see that. What I see are people saying the Sabbath is obsolete and yet they keep the commandment by observing another day in its place. Not a biggie, imo, but I do tire of people judging those who choose to observe Sabbath as the Lord gave it instead of the way Constantine gave it.

But I also will defend your liberty to do so just as fervently as I will defend others who have a different conviction.

I confess that I give the ''early church fathers'' absolutely no authority over the scriptures. They were mostly (if not completely) anti-semitic bigots...

I also reject theology from the KKK for the same reasons, btw

so any example that is extra-biblical is going to be utterly rejected by me...as it should be by everyone

If you can find a place in the scriptures where the notion of Sabbath being rejected or changed it would have credibility.

until then....keep studying and enlightenment will come eventually

I don't have much time, I will reply further when I get a chance.

In answer to your thought, it is the Law of God that was given to Israel (a mixed multitude).

No one is "bound" by the any Law, old or new testament, as a means to earn salvation.

As far as keeping ALL the Law, I can say that I keep the Law. Keeping the Law doesn't mean you are perfect, to "keep" the Law means that you "safely keep it, protect it, guard it, let no one make it common (profane) etc."

Can I ask this... David kept the Law, he declares that through out Psalms, did King David lie when he proclaimed this?

ok, then I will rephrase it, do you try and keep all the law? do you make an effort to keep all the law? do you try your very best to avoid eating pork? do you do your very best to not have clothes with mixed fabrics? Do you do your best to keep the other 1000 or so rules that were part of the same law that the law of the Sabbath was a part of.

Paul kept the Sabbath after the resurrection... Otherwise he lied when he said this:

Acts 25

6 And when he had remained among them more than ten days, he went down to Caesarea. And the next day, sitting on the judgment seat, he commanded Paul to be brought. 7 When he had come, the Jews who had come down from Jerusalem stood about and laid many serious complaints against Paul, which they could not prove, 8 while he answered for himself,

there is not one example of a Gentile believer keeping the Sabboth in the NT that I know of, why do you suppose that is?

Acts 13:42

So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

If Paul continued following Torah, did he also continue on with the sacrificial system of the Torah?

Well he called us to be living sacrifices, did he believe in Christ's sacrifice?

Was Paul a false prophet? A false prophet is described as being "lawless" or teaching against the ways of the Father.

Look at what Stephen says when he stands accused of Blasphemy, this is soooooo awesome:

Acts 6

8 And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. 9 Then there arose some from what is called the Synagogue of the Freedmen (Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and those from Cilicia and Asia), disputing with Stephen. 10 And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke. 11 Then they secretly induced men to say,

ok then, if believers cant be "under the Law", why would they continue with the law of the Sabbath?

Because they want to, it's a blessing and it was made for us. :D

Yes, the Jewish believers continued meeting in the Temple regularly, but there is no record of the Gentiles doing so outside of Jerusalem. But there are records of them meeting in homes on the first day of the week.

Believers are said to have met on the first day which is true, here's why.

A Hebrew day is from one sunset to the next... So the "first day" is from Sunset Saturday to Sunset Sunday.

By Tradition believers came together at the end of Sabbath which is Sunset Saturday, they shared food and fellowship as a farewell to Sabbath. This does not mean that believers were allowing for Sunday to be Sabbath.

My question to those that say we should not follow the 10 commandment or keep the Sabbath is this, Which of the commandment should we not keep?

1. Is it O.K. to have other gods b4 God?

2. Is it O.K. to make graven images and worship them?

3. Is it O.k. to take the Lord's name in vain?

4. Is it O.k. to disregard the Sabbath?

5. Is it O.k. to dishonor your parents?

6. Is it O.k. to kill?

7. Is it O.k. to commit adultery?

8. Is it O.k. to steal?

9. Is it O.k. to bear false witness?

10. Is it O.k. to covet or lust for what is not yours?

So which of these commandment should we not Keep none of them, or just not the 4th one?

By the way the Sabbath is Saturday not Sunday, although I have no problem with Sunday worship, or Monday, or Tuesday ect... as long as you do not claim that it is the Sabbath.

I keep all that were repeated as commands in the New Testament.

Why would anyone keep just these 10 rules and not all of the rules of the Mosaic Law?

I have to say "good point" RunningGator why wouldn't they keep the rest of the Torah?

I think the only difference between these 10 is that they are written by the finger of God so they are a good starting point.