• Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,071
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  240
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Gay couple set to christen children

3 July 2010 03:15am

A gay couple that made legal history when they were jointly registered as fathers are this weekend celebrating the arrival of their fourth and fifth children.

Barrie and Tony Drewitt-Barlow, of Danbury, Essex, said more than 150 people are due to attend a christening service for five-month-old twins Dallas and Jasper on Sunday.

The couple, both businessmen in their 40s, said the boys were born to a surrogate mother in California, USA, in February and would be christened at St John the Baptist Church in Danbury.

They said surrogate mother Rosalind Bellamy and the egg donor - "up and coming Russian supermodel" Alexandra Cooper-Strash - would be among guests.

Barrie Drewitt-Barlow said he and his partner had "angered church groups over the years".

But he added: "It is important for us to have the children all christened. As a Christian family we feel that it is important for our children to be given the opportunity to follow the teachings of the church and if they decide when they are older not to, then that is their choice."

He said the couple's third child, seven-year-old Orlando, would also be christened at the service.

The couple first hit the headlines in 1999 when their twin daughters Aspen and Saffron, were born to a surrogate mother in California and, following a ruling by an American court, became the first British children to be registered as having two fathers and no mother.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HIS girl

Scratching my head and wondering what "As a Chrsitian family ...." means to them.....

Christian by what definition?

Certainly not followers of Christ Jesus.....

They want their "kids" to make their own choices regarding religion, yet being "mothered" has been denied them - which is a basic right of all human beings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

@ Sam. wow......

That was a really confusing reply.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Scratching my head and wondering what "As a Chrsitian family ...." means to them.....

Christian by what definition?

Certainly not followers of Christ Jesus.....

They want their "kids" to make their own choices regarding religion, yet being "mothered" has been denied them - which is a basic right of all human beings.

The only good I can see here is that, for the children, it's better to be christened than not.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

The Bible tells us that to be gay is wrong.

In a class I'm taking now, the "The Truth Project" (which is an excellent video series), we are told that God has a social order that runs in three's through out our world. Starting with the highest order the Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Then we move on to Jesus, church leaders and the church members. Then we move on to the family which is Father, Mother and Children, we can go on and on.

Now there can be only one head honcho in any group of three, if a family has two fathers or two mothers, what kind of spiritual teaching is being taught to the children? There can not be two leaders to a group, it's like two cars traveling on a double lane highway that is coming to a single lane, if one is not submissive to the other there is going to be a disaster.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,071
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  240
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

These two men BOUGHT 5 human beings...they chose the mother but didnt want her to carry the child ( children ) so chose someone else and rented her body then they had two babies implanted ( one from each of them ) so they could both be " fathers " and refuse the child to right to know who their mother is by putting both their names on the birth certificates. They couldnt get it done here so they went to the American courts claiming that the child was half American ( even though the biological mother was in fact Russian ) Can you say EGOTISTIC ???

They claim to want their children brought up to know the teaching of the Christian church which if they do will leave the children feeling even more hurt / confused / betrayed as they struggle with the conflict of loving a parent/parents who are clearly disobeying one of the most basic teachings of Christ :):P:emot-highfive::emot-highfive::emot-highfive:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/06/1949

its soo sad,these things happen ,but unfortunity they do,we are not to judge but discern the times we are liveing in and pray for those concerned,that they would have thier minds unbound to see the truth

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

We can only hope and pray that the children really are brought up in a bible teaching church. The parents are a bad role model for christian behavior, but never under estimate the power of the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  82
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

Sad, It is difficult to me how they can practice something that is an abomination to God, yet seem concerned about their family being Christian...

I have a question... I've been reading and studying the Bible for over 40 years, yet I haven't yet seen the word "christening", nor have I read about baby baptisms in the Lord's Word.

It seems to me, every example of Baptism or acceptance of Christ into a person's life was done by people old enough to reason through their state of being and sence of sin in their life. I know of a few instancews of a person and their "households" accepting Christ (Lydia, Phillipian Jailer etc) but there is no reference to their ages.

I would welcome to hear the scriptural reasoning behind christening, or at least the historical begininnings of it, because it confuses me a bit. Thanks.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

We can only hope and pray that the children really are brought up in a bible teaching church. The parents are a bad role model for christian behavior, but never under estimate the power of the Holy Spirit.

Right