• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

I have to say, I looked up this site because I was curious to see what non-denominational Christians thought about Catholics. I'm Catholic, and I have a lot of friends who are non-denominational and just accept that my religion is a part of who I am - after all, we do believe in the same God. But from other non-denominational Christians, I've gotten a lot of hate just for being who I am and I don't know why. There seem to be quite a few misconceptions about my Church floating around, too, and I'm educated enough about Catholic dogma to clear those up if anybody has any questions or is confused about anything. But I genuinely do want to know...why do people shy away from me at Christian events if they "find out?" I don't get how you can judge someone just because you think you know their religion...I certainly don't judge my non-denominational friends. It just doesn't make any sense. Thoughts?

"Love one another." - the last words of George Harrison

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

So why did you choose the Catholic religoon?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hi Georgesbluegirl. I think within Catholicism there are some strange and unbiblical doctrines and a sort of elitist membership that frowns on anyone not under the unbrella of Catholicism. That being said...welcome to worthyboards I hope you enjoy it here...and I totally accept you for who you are. :hug:

I don't think George Harrison was much of an example though. :)

I chose to be Catholic because I was born into it, like many people were born and raised in their religions. Like most Catholics, I was baptized as a baby, which technically means that I was accepted into the community of the Church and that my parents and godparents promised to the Church to raise me to be a person of faith in the Body of Jesus Christ. I chose again when I was fifteen and received the sacrament of Confirmation, which is a renewal of the baptismal promise...only this time, you are deciding yourself to be a Catholic.

I'm a member of the Church because I believe in its teachings and doctrines - even though it does need some serious reforms in a few areas. I'm actually sort of a Dorothy Day subset: a lot of my love for my religion comes from our social justice principles. Plus Vatican II reformed a lot of stuff and made mainline Catholicism more tolerant of other denominations and religions in general. But yeah, I believe in the trinity, the communion of saints, in Mary as an example for us all, an amazing woman to ask for help, and the basic, good Catholic stuff. I'm also into exploring my religion, and I've never been afraid to ask questions of it, yet I'm still a Catholic.

And as far as George Harrison goes, he is my hero and my favorite Beatle and an amazing musician. Even if he did leave Catholicism and then become Hindu. :)

Beautiful music, beautiful man.

"Shout in the name of the Lord and you'll be free, for the Lord is awaiting on you all, wait and see." ~ you guessed it, George

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

I chose to be Catholic because I was born into it, like many people were born and raised in their religions. Like most Catholics, I was baptized as a baby, which technically means that I was accepted into the community of the Church and that my parents and godparents promised to the Church to raise me to be a person of faith in the Body of Jesus Christ.

Maybe I'm not understanding you here. But it looks like yer saying that a lot of people made decisions for you.

Have you ever investigated other churches? If so, why didn't they appeal to you?

It's not that people make decisions for you. It's just that when you reach the age of "discernment" (I think that's somewhere near the correct terminology), which is usually early teens, you are asked if you really want to be a Catholic, and if so you take classes and prepare to announce your decision, your confirmation of your faith, in a ceremony before the people of your church (or, as in most cases, a packed house of teary relatives armed with cameras and congratulations cards!). It's just like parents would raise a kid in the family faith in any other religion, it's just got a few extra steps added in with infant baptism. Confirmation is like when you are baptized older in many Protestant churches. Really, it's not all that dissimilar. Catholicism just has a lot of dogmatic explanations.

So in conclusion, yes, your parents make the decision to raise you Catholic, the same way Lutheran parents raise their kids Lutheran or Jewish parents raise their kids Jewish. But it is required of a practicing Catholic at a certain age to step in front of the congregation and announce their willing committment to the Body of Christ, the Church. YOU make that decision.

As far as other religions...I feel called to my faith life as a Catholic. I am very active in Youth Ministry at my church, participating in leadership and service events and ministering to younger teens going through the Confirmation process. I have always felt comfortable as a Catholic. I believe in the Consecration, and I have great admiration for Mary. I enjoy celebrating Mass with my family and friends. Truly, it is a gathering about community. I have friends of many different religions, and while I have great respect for them all, I have never felt the same calling or enthusiasm about any other religion. I apply my Catholic faith to my worldview (which means that I'm a liberal...). I am Catholic, it is a major part of my identity, and although I've struggled with my faith before, I always wind up more dedicated to the Church...although she could do with some REFORM.

PEACE AND LOVE.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Welcome to worthy

I'm also into exploring my religion, and I've never been afraid to ask questions of it, yet I'm still a Catholic.

Then may I encourage you to read the bible and see what it says. It is the word of God. Question "religion", seek God in everything. Seek His will in all things. Desire that relationship with the Lord.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

Hello georgesbluegirl, and welcome to the WorthyBoard! :)

Your topic is a very good one for discussion, however, it is one that can quickly become conterversial. Therefore, I'm going to move it to the Controversial Forum. You did nothing wrong by posting it here in the General Forum. Basically, this is just a good housekeeping move, so please don't take any offense. :D

In the meantime, please enjoy the fellowship here. You are MOST welcomed!!

• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

As per my PM conversation with you georgesbluegirl I will move this thread to the Apologetics Forum. Due to recent rule changes for the Controversial Forum, you're not eligible to post in it.

Again, I apologize if my error brought you any embarassment. :) It was sincerely unintentional.

Not at all, not at all. Thanks for acting so quickly!

Anyway....anyone else want to discuss anything? Ask anything? Really, I'll give you my perspective and not just shoot doctrine at you.