• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

How important is physical appearance when it comes to achieving success or getting one's way in life?

Unfortunately in our current society physical appearance is everything. The beautiful people are the ones that get the jobs, the attention whether they are qualified or not. Because of the media portraying the idea person to be slim, beautiful/handsome the majority of us average looking people really don't get the advantage to prove ourselves before a judgment is made and it is a judgment. Thats why so many of our young people who feel they don't measure up to the ideal either starve themselves or get cosmetic surgery. Young children and teens are constantly picked on and often tragic coincidences occur because of it. Like bullying, taunting, suicide and even killing their aggressors. In the times we live in I don't think at this point it will change, beauty will always take precedence over average. In some countries though beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, but not here. Thank Jesus we can count on You to treat us fairly! What do you think?

Marilyn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  41
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/24/1982

To some it is the most important thing. However, more and more people are realizing that it is what is within a person and their set of moral standards is who they would like to work with. A growing number of people are reaching a point were they are tired of this looks craze and would rather be around someone who just makes them feel good with their personality than eye candy. Being a positive person and how you carry yourself is more important in success than looks.

Amy

p.s. This does work! I'm proof of that. :rofl:

Guest Called

I just noticed this thread and once again Marilyn, you have come up with an awesome topic. :t2:

I don't want to get into great details about me personally in regards to this. I will just say that this is something that I have dealt with in my own life and even recently I have been having to come to grips with it.

We feel that we have to measure up to some sort of idealistic standard of perfection when it comes to our appearance and if we don't we are not accepted, we won't get the good job, we won't move up in the world. This is a lie from the enemy. The world tells us what beauty is through magazines, movies and television, but you know who the ruler of this world is? Satan and satan is the father of lies. As Christians we need to quit listening to him (I am talking to myself here too)! :t2:

I was led to read Isaiah 53:2b a couple of days ago and I want to share it.

There was nothing beautiful or majestic about His appearance, nothing to attract us to Him.

I began to meditate on this. Do we think that Jesus cared that he wasn't considered handsome? That he was plain? I would venture to say, NO! Jesus was so focused on His mission that nothing could deter Him from it, nothing else mattered. We need to have the same attitude. Let us be so focused on Jesus that nothing else matters, even what others think. :P

GOD IS GOOD! :il: :P

Edited by Called

Guest LCPGUY

Marilyn, you are so right in saying how the world seeks out and promotes the so-called beautiful people. How sad. Physical appearance is only one small part of the equation. And it is the first to go, to deteriorate. It is temporary. It, in the long run, doesn

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

HI, PHYSICAL APPEARANCE, It's true I'm afraid to admit, but it does MATTER in this world we live in. I think It's just human nature to be biased when it comes to LOOKS, but I always try to remind myself to be fair with people and even with animals. I am thankful though when it comes to people GOD IS GOOD, for somehow HE made it so everyone could find somebody to LOVE and we call this BEAUTY IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER ....... :huh: TAKO.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  94

Very true stuff. Unfortunately, looks are the first impression you get or give to someone. So you can't go around looking like you just woke up.

A more disturbing thing I see is the propoganda of racial beauty.

White women want to get breast implants and cologen lips, I have even heard about butt implants.

Black women want to straighten their hair and lighten it.

Asian women get surgery done on their eyes to make them rounder.

These are just a few examples, but I hate seeing this, it really frustrates me. I love the physical racial differences in all people, It really saddens me to see them change things to look more black or white or whatever they aren't.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  42

This....is a subject to close to home. I am naturally olive-skinned with my native american heritage. In high school (the "best years of my life" :rofl: ) I was told for 3 years of it that I was not white enough to live. I was harrassed,followed, and hunted down like a rabbit being hunted by a hound.

I couldnt wait to get out of high school. It all took a toll on me (obviously) I was the "freak", I heard racial comments all day everyday. It was hard to even get out of bed. The depression ended in Bulimia. I was told by some of my "friends" that I wasnt attractive and I had no personailty and i would never find a man and i would never be married.

I did find a man. I was married at 20, divorced at 25. Gain a few pounds with pregnancy and the whole story changes :rofl: I was told on daily basis I needed to lose weight. I was cheated on daily. I tried my best to be a good christian woman and fix my marriage. The bulimia continued.

Eventually before i could take no more and left, he told me he wanted a divorce. HE wanted a divorce because i was to fat and ugly. He "saw the way girls looked at him. He could do better"

So yes, i know how that feels. God is awesome! This is only 2 minor examples of the life of pain and heart ache i have lived. More in my 25 years than some have in 60. Yet.....I am still here. I trudge on day after day. Becasue I know my Lord and savior LOVES me. not earthy, human, pyhsical, conditional love. but HIS love, that can not be measured and will never leave me. I know he is waiting for me. After all this.....

I still have my faith. :huh:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Sadly the world does judge people by their outward appearance. Since when as christians did we care what the world thinks? There are girls at my work who are constantly critical about others' apprearances, what they wear etc. It disgusts me really. God's beautiful hands created each and every one of us. We are beautiful to our Father. Satan will use whatever tool he can to direct our attention from Christ so we must do as it says in Hebrews 12:2:

"We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom out faith depends from start to finish. He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward. Now he is seated in the place of highest honor beside God's throne in heaven".

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  187
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  05/23/1959

This....is a subject to close to home. I am naturally olive-skinned with my native american heritage. In high school (the "best years of my life" :P ) I was told for 3 years of it that I was not white enough to live. I was harrassed,followed, and hunted down like a rabbit being hunted by a hound.

I couldnt wait to get out of high school. It all took a toll on me (obviously) I was the "freak", I heard racial comments all day everyday. It was hard to even get out of bed. The depression ended in Bulimia. I was told by some of my "friends" that I wasnt attractive and I had no personailty and i would never find a man and i would never be married.

I did find a man. I was married at 20, divorced at 25. Gain a few pounds with pregnancy and the whole story changes ;) I was told on daily basis I needed to lose weight. I was cheated on daily. I tried my best to be a good christian woman and fix my marriage. The bulimia continued.

Eventually before i could take no more and left, he told me he wanted a divorce. HE wanted a divorce because i was to fat and ugly. He "saw the way girls looked at him. He could do better"

So yes, i know how that feels. God is awesome! This is only 2 minor examples of the life of pain and heart ache i have lived. More in my 25 years than some have in 60. Yet.....I am still here. I trudge on day after day. Becasue I know my Lord and savior LOVES me. not earthy, human, pyhsical, conditional love. but HIS love, that can not be measured and will never leave me. I know he is waiting for me. After all this.....

I still have my faith. :)

Hello Unbeaten

Just by reading what you wrote I can tell you are a surviver. You have so much courage, and it has made you stronger. I wish I had even half your stamina and strength. When you grow up constantly put down and belittled its really hard to look at yourself any other way.

All my life I've wanted to be one of the 'beautiful' people, great body, the beautiful hair, face, the works, I pleaded with God to make me better. But this is the way He made me, He loves me the way I am and I'm here for a reason. But you know even the 'beautiful' people are not happy with their appearance they are constantly tinkering or tweaking their looks with plastic surgery. So are they saying God made a mistake in the way He created them? I wonder.

Some of these people have skin so tight you could bounce a quarter off their foreheads. They don't look real anymore, they look fake, plastic and they still aren't happy, why because they aren't happy or content within themselves. When you are beautiful inside people don't often even see the outward appearance.

I don't know what Jesus looked like when He walked the earth, but I would be willing to bet He was just average looking but the man had charisma, He was dripping with it! He had a quality that drew people from far and wide to Him, they wanted to walk with Him, touch Him, eat with Him, listen to every word He said. His physical appearance didn't even enter into the equation.

I know people like that today who just drip with the love of Christ and you just want to be in their presence and spend hours talking with them. Appearance never enters into to the matter, its what is inside them that you want. If we could only strive to rise above the physical plain and see what Christ sees then we can truly say physical appearance makes no difference.

Marilyn - Striving for inner Beauty!

Guest koppen

As I grew up going through High School I was one of these GIRLS that judged people by their outward appearance...I was a cheerleader and thought I was so perfect...Now that I have found the Lord I know that I was the one with the problem with my self ..I tore others down to make myself feel good...I am a shamed for my actions...Now that I am a little older and OVER WEIGHT I get what I used to dish out to others..Be careful because what you say to others and do comes back at you...

I am so tired of people judging me now for being fat...I hear oh you have such a beautiful face and your hair is so beautiful, if you could lose some weight you would be so beautiful.... Well...The truth is whether I am skinny or fat I am the same on the inside as I am on the outside....I will serve the Lord whether I am fat or skinny and I will radiate the Love of Christ because HE abides in me...

Through my walk with the Lord I have learned how to see others through the Lords eyes... We are all the same in His eyes...No one is above the other..We are all the same... When I meet a new person I always look at their spirit...This is what matters...

Blessings

Kelli