• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

Amen! Could this be any clearer? Methinks not............. :thumbsup:

I'll just say first that it's interesting the way folks twist scripture.

Indeed it is.

The author is Jesus, the second person of the Trinity and therefore I stand on the Word and the Word,

Spoken by the Word from the Word.

Mark 12

29 Jesus answered him, �The first of all the commandments is: �Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one.

30 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.� This is the first commandment.

31 And the second, like it, is this: �You shall love your neighbor as yourself.� There is no other commandment greater than these.�

Matthew 5

38 �You have heard that it was said, �An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.�

39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.

41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.

42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

43 �You have heard that it was said, �You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.�

44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,

45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?

48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Frankly, I am sick to death of holding our Constitutional rights in such high honor all the time - for crying out loud, those amendments should not be written in stone! I think it's high time we take a closer look at what we hold to be our constitutional rights and ascertain whether they clash with human rights! :whistling:

Coming from down under, I find this topic just a little distasteful.

In my country the interpretation of "reasonable force" to defend oneself is such that the use of a fire arm, or any premeditated weapon would result in a conviction. The carriage or keeping of a weapon intended for use against a person implies that one fully intends to cause harm or death to them.

Having discussed antipiracy measures with colleagues we have had to ask ourselves whether in the heat of the moment we would actually be prepared to kill a person in self defence and do the job properly because that is exactly what is needed in order to carry a fire arm safely (witness the unfortunate experience of Sir Peter Blake). None of us could say with confidence that we would.

Biblically however I guess all things are permissable but not all things are beneficial so I guess nobody is under condemnation who causes death or injury in the process of defending themselves or others.

However the aim of the Christian is to be Christ like in all circumstances. Is it Christ like to have the intention of blowing someones head off?

By the way a sword and a gun are very different in combat. A sword may wound and disable a person without killing them. It would be unusual for a succesfull disabling gunshot wound to be survivable.

Brother, from a fellow Aussie, don't go there! :laugh: I've BTDT. The foundation of the states was built on their right to have and use firearms and their opinion on this matter in general terms seems to be diametrically opposed to those Aussie hold (as with all generalisations, this won't hold for all, but it is generally true).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Frankly, I am sick to death of holding our Constitutional rights in such high honor all the time - for crying out loud, those amendments should not be written in stone! I think it's high time we take a closer look at what we hold to be our constitutional rights and ascertain whether they clash with human rights! :whistling:

Sounds like somebody wants to start a war. :whistling:

• Well Said! 1

Guest shiloh357
Frankly, I am sick to death of holding our Constitutional rights in such high honor all the time - for crying out loud, those amendments should not be written in stone! I think it's high time we take a closer look at what we hold to be our constitutional rights and ascertain whether they clash with human rights!

So you want to rewrite the Constitution? We should just scrap our rights and freedoms and the things that have made us the great nation we are? Your freedom to condemn our Constitution is provided to you by the very ammendments you think should not be honored. Those Constitutional rights are yours on the backs of millions of Americans who shed their blood and gave up their lives for you and the freedoms you enjoy.

Our laws are here to support and protect the freedoms and privileges we enjoy in the United States. If that is something you find untenable, then perhaps you should move to the Ukraine or to a Muslim country where you don't have to worry about having any rights any longer. If you are sick of our rights and freedoms there are plenty of countries that can accomodate you on that.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Frankly, I am sick to death of holding our Constitutional rights in such high honor all the time - for crying out loud, those amendments should not be written in stone! I think it's high time we take a closer look at what we hold to be our constitutional rights and ascertain whether they clash with human rights!

So you want to rewrite the Constitution? We should just scrap our rights and freedoms and the things that have made us the great nation we are? Your freedom to condemn our Constitution is provided to you by the very ammendments you think should not be honored. Those Constitutional rights are yours on the backs of millions of Americans who shed their blood and gave up their lives for you and the freedoms you enjoy.

Our laws are here to support and protect the freedoms and privileges we enjoy in the United States. If that is something you find untenable, then perhaps you should move to the Ukraine or to a Muslim country where you don't have to worry about having any rights any longer. If you are sick of our rights and freedoms there are plenty of countries that can accomodate you on that.

Great post Shiloh :thumbsup:

Like I said Jeanette wants to start a war, but you got to understand her poor condition, she is a liberal. Give Jeanette some aspirin and she might feel better in the morning. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

I believe Jesus said what he said to Peter, because Peter was interfering with God's will. Also, Jesus didn't need anyone with a sword to protect Him, like He said, if it were His Father's will, He'd call 10000 Angels to His aid if it were neccessary.

I will not watch my wife, or daughter or (sister in life and sisters in Christ) being tortured, or raped or murdered without doing anything to stop it, that includes putting the perp six feet under with any means neccessary.

• This is Worthy 1

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

We very convieniently forget that Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek, and not to resist an evil person, so it can be a little tricky. However i would point out that such commands were given to the people being accosted. I do not believe Jesus would have us stand idly by while others are harmed. therefore I do believe God would NOT have us defend ourselves, but WOULD have us defend others. I am sure some would disagree with me, however you MUST provide a scriptural reason. Otherwise it is only your opinion and my arguement remains true.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

maybe a better way to deal with this is ask- would god want me my family or loved one's to be attacked or killed? is it a "righteous" thing for a man to watch idly by while innocent people are being harmed- or to let some one attack you and not defend yourself? after all are we to ignore the instinct for self preservation.

if good men stand by and do nothing then the wicked will increase.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

I don't think 'do not fear' means 'do not prepare for this event'. I can have no fear about something but yet prepare for it's possible occurance. I don't fear losing my job, but I have income protection insurance.

But, please :20: don't tell me the chickens are not insured? :noidea:

Wonders if that poor child of yours has to sit up all night with a shot gun in case the foxes/kangaroos break in. Plus she has to moderate the forum,

while you dig into pickles and marmite sandwiches!

:24: :24: :24: :24: :24: :24: :24:

Night John boy , night Mary Ellen, night Jim-Bob ,,, night Beanie :shout: Beanie , "We need eggs for breakfast and not dead chickens!"

"Yes mum , I know, night mum . :guns: :guns: :guns: (Mum what time do you want your breakfast? Night mum.)

ER, Mum ? MUM,, :sleep2: :sleep2: :sleep2:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

We very convieniently forget that Jesus tells us to turn the other cheek, and not to resist an evil person, so it can be a little tricky. However i would point out that such commands were given to the people being accosted. I do not believe Jesus would have us stand idly by while others are harmed. therefore I do believe God would NOT have us defend ourselves, but WOULD have us defend others. I am sure some would disagree with me, however you MUST provide a scriptural reason. Otherwise it is only your opinion and my arguement remains true.

By that logic why not turn the other cheek when someone is committing an act of evil against another person? While you sit there and let someone beat on you I'll gladly put a bullet in my attacker.

Then please explain what turning the other cheek and don't resist an evil person means. It doesn't sound like Jesus liked violence of any kind. Can you show me ANYWHERE that Jesus told someone to defend themself?