• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

So what if it adds to the deficit. The point is that people are struggling and need help now. I don't hear the republicans crying about funding the wars or Bush tax cuts. In my opinion when you don't have a job, can't buy food or pay your light bill it qualifies as an emergency, worthy of deficit spending.

Well, thank Harry Reid, our wonderful Democrat majority leader. He's the one who decides when votes come up, and he's not doing it til he gets his way. Why they would want to add to the deficit is beyond me, especailly now that they are trying to suck up by saying we should bring the deficit down. You know, the one that they just ran up.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Well if you don't find helping unemployed people survive, a worthy cause, then pray that you never lose your job. Don't you care that some of these people will lose homes, cars and healthcare. What do you suggest people do in this situation?

Let's not play a turn on words that were never said or sentiments that were never implied. :)

A solution was offered. It's called Economic Growth and it has nothing whatsoever to do with Federal spending. :thumbsup:

Now answer the question. When does it become the Congresses job to provide an environment where jobs are being created and not simply doling out Social Justice for votes? :noidea:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

It becomes your responsibility to help your fellow man when they are in a time of need. Have any of you been unemployed for more than 26 weeks in the last 2 years. If you haven't then you have been blessed. Right now you get 26 weeks unemployment. If you can't find a job in 26 weeks what are you supposed to do? Are you saying that the one million that have lost benefits since june are just lazy deadbeats. They had to work in order to qualify for the 26 but suddenly since losing their job they have become lazy and unwilling to work? If congress can create an environment where jobs are being created then do it! But help the people in the meantime.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

It becomes your responsibility to help your fellow man when they are in a time of need. Have any of you been unemployed for more than 26 weeks in the last 2 years. If you haven't then you have been blessed. Right now you get 26 weeks unemployment. If you can't find a job in 26 weeks what are you supposed to do? Are you saying that the one million that have lost benefits since june are just lazy deadbeats. They had to work in order to qualify for the 26 but suddenly since losing their job they have become lazy and unwilling to work? If congress can create an environment where jobs are being created then do it! But help the people in the meantime.

What responsibility does Congress have in their not having the job to begin with? After all it was these crooked politicians forming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and then forcing banks to make bad loans to people who couldn't afford them that started all of this mess to begin with. :blink: Then they created a Spendulous bill that spent trillions of dollars and hasn't done a doggon' thing to help anyone when they should have been cutting taxes. :noidea:

That's my point. The country has been ran down so badly by poor decisions from both parties that we are in a crisis. Spending must be cut but I don't think cutting the former working people is where to start. I know the repubs put forward a paid for bill but if the dems won't vote for it, the people suffer. If the republicans block the bill fine, but what are they going to do to remedy the situation? Any bill they put forward will be blocked by the dems. So you see the people suffer either way. How do you look at the people and say sorry we can't help you. We can help Iraq and Afghanistan but not you. I hear you that things have to change but if they can't agree enough to change anything at least help the folks.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Well if you don't find helping unemployed people survive, a worthy cause, then pray that you never lose your job. Don't you care that some of these people will lose homes, cars and healthcare. What do you suggest people do in this situation?

If someone were to be laid off from their job today, there would be unemployment for them. What we have going on here is an attempt by Democrats to continue to extend benefits, virtually forever. Someone will be on unemployment 6 months, and then the Dems will try to extend benefits to a year. The year will run out, and they will try for 18 months. That runs out and they create a bill extending benefits to 2 years. When someone tries to put a stop to this, they are accused of not caring or being unfeeling. The government is creating a situation where people can go without a job as long as they want. Nobody can convince me that they can't find a job somewhere. What is usually taking place is a refusal to take a job that doesn't pay what someone used to make. I am not buying into any of this liberal garbage.

Something else I would point out is that many of the people that are losing cars and homes had maxed out their credit based on spending every cent they made with no regard to the possibility something could go wrong. There are people that cannot work and it is no fault of their own, and if the government helped them, it would not break the bank, but it has gotten to the point where the government is creating a permanent dependency class. This has to be stopped, and I fully support the Republicans in their insistance on fiscal responsibility.

IMO, unemployment should extend for up to nine months. After that, the recipient should have to take any job he or she can find; maybe offering tax breaks to employers who hire from the unemployment rolls. Unemployment was never intended to go on and on indefinitely. It's an emergency measure, not an alternative lifestyle. Think people don't ride out the benefits? I know several who have done exactly that. Now I'm not saying everyone does it but, come on, it happens. We can't support millions indefinitely. Everyone should be required to work at SOMETHING, excluding the very young (under 18), the elderly (over 70), mothers with children under 6, people caring for aged or disabled family members, and the disabled themselves. And I, btw, HAVE been laid off in the past. I drew benefits for exactly five months. Five months in my entire adult life.

These are tough times. Maybe no one else will lose their jobs. You don't feel this is an emergency?

These are tough times. Maybe no one else will lose their jobs. You don't feel this is an emergency?

To whom is this addressed, rp?

Anyone that wants to answer.

Anyone that wants to answer.

Okay. Yes, it IS an emergency. I don't think that open ended umemployment benefits are the answer though. The money just ISN"T there and deficit spending will only prolong the recovery period. I'm more for putting the unemployed to work, regardless of what that work may be, until more jobs are available. I know it's difficult to work at Burger King when one used to be an executive but, IMO, any job is better than none. If illegals are able to work there must be jobs out there....throw them out and hire American.