• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1973

The title of the topic pretty much says it. I have so many questions, and I need some resources on how to get those questions answered. Specifically, I need the beginning steps 1-2-3 to get started. I have plenty of vision for the middle and release stages, but no idea how to start. Our church's leadership is totally on board and willing to commission us, but they don't know anything about planting a church either! So, any advice, resources, and prayers (nothing will happen without prayer!) will be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Couple of questions and some advice from one whose church has planted out all over the place.

You think God wants you to? Thats great, but every couple I have ever seen plant a church were consumed by the desire to do so. They did not think God wanted them to, they knew. They pulled kids out of school, sold houses and immigrated to places like New Zealand, and in one case Mongolia. Without the real prospects of good employment, housing, a vehicle, etc.

My point is that they simply knew. They were on fire and nothing was going to stop them.

But......

They had spent a lot of time as cell group leaders and elders, (one was a pastor), had spent time teaching, dealing with church finances, utility bills, building additions, etc. They had experience in running a church.

And then they went on a church planting course for three months (one was a farmer who left his farm for three months to do the course). They learned about income tax laws, banking regulations, civil law, counseling, preaching (although all had taught in church over and over), and even fire and vehicle parking regulations.

I really commend you for your desire. The church needs people willing to be sent.

But I caution you as a brother who cares for other believers, that there is far more to planting a church than most of us think.

Blessings

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Step 1: Buy property.

Step 2: Buy building permits.

Step 3: Buy building materials.

Step 4: Build Church

Step 5: Hire Pastor

Step 6: Gather congregation through advertising and door-to-door visiting.

Step 7. Preach Gospel.

Step 8: After a few years, concentrate more on activities than on preaching and teaching.

Step 9: Grow lukewarm

Step 10: Split congregation through in-fighting

Step 11: Grow cold

Step 12: Watch as less and less people show up on Sunday

Step 13: Go into deep debt on taxes and utility bills

Step 14: Close doors

Step 15: Burn building down for insurance money

Step 16: Get caught, plead guilty, do prison time

Any Questions? :whistling:

Nope!

Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee: Psalms Jeremiah 32:17

Praying!

Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me? Jeremiah 32:27

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,871
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  228
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Step 7. Preach Gospel.

Step 8: After a few years, concentrate more on activities than on preaching and teaching.

Yes ... how on earth do you keep evading the men in white coats ????

and can you teach me as well ???? :24::24::24:

• Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

The title of the topic pretty much says it. I have so many questions, and I need some resources on how to get those questions answered. Specifically, I need the beginning steps 1-2-3 to get started. I have plenty of vision for the middle and release stages, but no idea how to start. Our church's leadership is totally on board and willing to commission us, but they don't know anything about planting a church either! So, any advice, resources, and prayers (nothing will happen without prayer!) will be much appreciated. Thank you.

praying for you

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Step 7. Preach Gospel.

Yes ... how on earth do you keep evading the men in white coats ????

and can you teach me as well ???? :24::24::24:

It's easy. When I see them coming I put on a white coat too, point and yell, "He went thataway!" :38:

Couple of questions and some advice from one whose church has planted out all over the place.

You think God wants you to? Thats great, but every couple I have ever seen plant a church were consumed by the desire to do so. They did not think God wanted them to, they knew. They pulled kids out of school, sold houses and immigrated to places like New Zealand, and in one case Mongolia. Without the real prospects of good employment, housing, a vehicle, etc.

My point is that they simply knew. They were on fire and nothing was going to stop them.

But......

They had spent a lot of time as cell group leaders and elders, (one was a pastor), had spent time teaching, dealing with church finances, utility bills, building additions, etc. They had experience in running a church.

And then they went on a church planting course for three months (one was a farmer who left his farm for three months to do the course). They learned about income tax laws, banking regulations, civil law, counseling, preaching (although all had taught in church over and over), and even fire and vehicle parking regulations.

I really commend you for your desire. The church needs people willing to be sent.

But I caution you as a brother who cares for other believers, that there is far more to planting a church than most of us think.

Blessings

I am not going to begin to defend myself as a would-be church planter. That would not be the right attitude. Furthermore, I firmly believe that, although training and experience are important (and whether I have enough of those things is certainly debatable), being available for use by the Holy Spirit is the ultimate qualification. I am so willing. Toward that end, I ask for prayers.

Toward the training issue, I am asking for resources. You mentioned that one couple took a three month training course. What course is that? I'd be very interested in that. I never took any church planting courses in seminary, and I don't have the prereqs to do it now. Know any good books on the subject? I just bought Viral Churches and The Celtic Way of Evangelism. I have also checked out a stack of books from the library on church planting, missional ministry, and leadership. Aubrey Malphurs, Stuart Murray, Ezra Earl Jones, Jerry Doherty, etc. I'll need more books when I get through these.

Toward the experience issue, I am asking for advice. Have I been a pastor of a church? No. Nor, do I want to be. I see my job as a launchpad, a catalyst, a (as my mother affectionately calls me) spiritual arsonist. I am not supposed to build up a church to pastor for the next 20-30 years. I am supposed to start things, train people up, and then move on to the next project.

So, I hear your caution, but I am not sure that I understand it. I figure that the worst that comes out of this is that a "church" never actually gets off the ground, but we have a really good Bible study. Are there specific dangers I should be aware of? What pitfalls do you see? Common mistakes? If your caution is just "be careful", that's not very helpful to me, though I appreciate you voicing it. It takes some courage to voice caution when someone is excited, and I want to really hear you.

Praying!

Awesome! Thank you!