• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Rev. 6:2 - I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

I know the traditional interpretation of the bow notes that arrows are not given with the bow, thus it is a peaceful conquest . . . something like that.

(Even though arrows are not always mentioned with the bow in other places in Scripture - i.e. Genesis 48:22 - "Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow.")

???

Anyway, as I was looking up symbolism for something else, I happened to see the mention of the symbolism of the bow:

~~~~~

Bow

Judgment against evil, taking action to conquer evil

God judges the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he has bent his bow, and made it ready. Psalm 7: 11-12.

And in your majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and your right hand shall teach you terrible things. Your arrows are sharp in the heart of the king's enemies; by which the people fall under you. Psalm 45: 4-5.

Source

~~~~~

If the bow is the symbol of judgment, how does this affect the interpretation of the prophecy?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Rev. 6:2 - I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

I know the traditional interpretation of the bow notes that arrows are not given with the bow, thus it is a peaceful conquest . . . something like that.

(Even though arrows are not always mentioned with the bow in other places in Scripture - i.e. Genesis 48:22 - "Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow.")

???

Anyway, as I was looking up symbolism for something else, I happened to see the mention of the symbolism of the bow:

~~~~~

Bow

Judgment against evil, taking action to conquer evil

God judges the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he has bent his bow, and made it ready. Psalm 7: 11-12.

And in your majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and your right hand shall teach you terrible things. Your arrows are sharp in the heart of the king's enemies; by which the people fall under you. Psalm 45: 4-5.

Source

~~~~~

If the bow is the symbol of judgment, how does this affect the interpretation of the prophecy?

the rider held a bow but did not hold an arrow nor aimed at anyone with an arrow.

me thinks deep sometimes.

the rider held a bow but did not hold an arrow nor aimed at anyone with an arrow.

Why are arrows necessary for the description and symbolism?

Genesis 48:22 - "Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow.

Genesis 49:24 - But his bow remained in strength, And the arms of his hands were made strong By the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel),

2 Samuel 1:22 - From the blood of the slain, From the fat of the mighty, The bow of Jonathan did not turn back, And the sword of Saul did not return empty.

2 Chronicles 17:17 - Of Benjamin: Eliada a mighty man of valor, and with him two hundred thousand men armed with bow and shield;

Job 20:24 - He will flee from the iron weapon; A bronze bow will pierce him through.

Psalms 44:6 - For I will not trust in my bow, Nor shall my sword save me.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

I see the bow here representing a false seed or word, a false gospel or corrupt one coming upon the world to divide, conquer. The root word for bow here in Strongs reads like this:

tiktō

tik'-to

A strengthened from of a primary word τέκω tekō (which is used only as an alternate in certain tenses); to produce (from seed, as a mother, a plant, the earth, etc.), literal or figurative: - bear, be born, bring forth, be delivered, be in travail.

Its a seal that was broken it brings forth the false twisted gospel to the world and in the name of 'religion' many things have been done. Thats my take on it anyhow.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I don't think there is anything mysterious about this. I don't think arrows are even need to be mentioned. David wrote in one of his Psalms, "he makes my arms strong to bend a bow of bronze"... so it's not necessary.

I believe the bow is mentioned because it is a weapon that can be shot from a distance to kill. The attacker does not need to be in close proximity to the enemy... but Nebula that verse in revelation you mentioned is not about God. It's about the anti-christ. Jesus is always represented with a sword which is the word of God.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  5

I would say that the absence of arrows means nothing . . . no more than if some one said "He has a gun!" yet failed to mention bullets would have to mean the gun was useless or a non-threatening thing.

but Nebula that verse in revelation you mentioned is not about God.

:emot-questioned: I never said it was. Why did you think I did?

It's about the anti-christ.

Well, I'm not convinced of that. I believe it is the same kind of entity as War and Pestilence and Famine (the other three horses/horsemen).

I would say that the absence of arrows means nothing . . . no more than if some one said "He has a gun!" yet failed to mention bullets would have to mean the gun was useless or a non-threatening thing.

Great example, thanks!

OK - so what is the symbolism of the bow, and how does that impact how one interprets the horse and rider?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

Why are arrows necessary for the description and symbolism?

Genesis 48:22 - "Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow.

Genesis 49:24 - But his bow remained in strength, And the arms of his hands were made strong By the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel),

2 Samuel 1:22 - From the blood of the slain, From the fat of the mighty, The bow of Jonathan did not turn back, And the sword of Saul did not return empty.

2 Chronicles 17:17 - Of Benjamin: Eliada a mighty man of valor, and with him two hundred thousand men armed with bow and shield;

Job 20:24 - He will flee from the iron weapon; A bronze bow will pierce him through.

Psalms 44:6 - For I will not trust in my bow, Nor shall my sword save me.

did the rider with the bow conquer?