• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The rider has no arrows...and neither does he have a backpack!

As I mentioned previously, arrows do not always have to be mentioned with the bow; they can be implied as part of the equipment - the same we we don't mention bullets with guns but they are implied.

I don't understand the backpack reference. "Backpacks" were not exactly ancient items.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Rev. 6:2 - I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.

I know the traditional interpretation of the bow notes that arrows are not given with the bow, thus it is a peaceful conquest . . . something like that.

(Even though arrows are not always mentioned with the bow in other places in Scripture - i.e. Genesis 48:22 - "Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow.")

???

Anyway, as I was looking up symbolism for something else, I happened to see the mention of the symbolism of the bow:

~~~~~

Bow

Judgment against evil, taking action to conquer evil

God judges the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. If he turn not, he will whet his sword; he has bent his bow, and made it ready. Psalm 7: 11-12.

And in your majesty ride prosperously because of truth and meekness and righteousness; and your right hand shall teach you terrible things. Your arrows are sharp in the heart of the king's enemies; by which the people fall under you. Psalm 45: 4-5.

Source

~~~~~

If the bow is the symbol of judgment, how does this affect the interpretation of the prophecy?

:noidea:

Yes they do have to be mentioned and they are not implied!

I hope you aren't being defensive?

As I presented previously, Scripture mentions several times the word "bow" without including arrows. There' no point in going to battle with a bow but no arrows!

The bow symbolizes the people who are out "conquering and to conquer."

Look again at the meaning of the word bow and notice why I say it represents the people who are out doing the conquering....

For what it's worth, I have considered this as a possibility - the seal being opened 9/11 perhaps? The first horse and rider being Islamic Holy War?

I'm just not "cutting it in stone."

Without a direct revelation from the Lord, I don't think any of us should insist 100% correct interpretation.

Guest shiloh357

The rider has no arrows...and neither does he have a backpack!

As I mentioned previously, arrows do not always have to be mentioned with the bow; they can be implied as part of the equipment - the same we we don't mention bullets with guns but they are implied.

I don't understand the backpack reference. "Backpacks" were not exactly ancient items.

Yes they do have to be mentioned and they are not implied!

I was just joking about the backpack.

He has no arrows and to assume that the rider does then we may just as well assume he has a saddle and a backpack and reads Harry Potter! If arrows aren't mentioned in Rev. 6:2 ...they don't exist and can't be considered in any way as part of the prophecy.

The bow symbolizes the people who are out "conquering and to conquer."

Look again at the meaning of the word bow and notice why I say it represents the people who are out doing the conquering.

5115. toxon tox'-on from the base of 5088; a bow (apparently as the simplest fabric):--bow.

At first it say's a bow. Then it mentions a simple fabric. I have seen some resources translate the word as "bough". (Turbans?)

The word bow is from the base word tikto #5088,

1) to bring forth, bear, produce (fruit from the seed)

a) of a woman giving birth

b) of the earth bringing forth its fruits

c) metaph. to bear, bring forth

The bow represents the offspring of Ishmael...whose descendents are the Arab's and Muslims. Muhammad or bin Laden could be the rider. Bin Laden has been crowned "the worldwide symbol of holy war." ( I heard that on CNN)

So how do I associate the bow with the Arabs?

I discovered that there are only a few people in the bible to whom a bow is personally ascribed. They are Esau and Ishmael. These two are the fathers of today's Arab/Islamic mixture of people (iron and clay) that we see engaged in worldwide holy war. Ishmael's offspring is today a mixture of the many tribes and clans of the Arab'a and Muslim's. Muhammed is a descendent of Ishmael. And Easu is the father of the Palestinian's. Both want to see Israel completely destroyed.

The only other people that I've found to whom a bow is personally attributed is Elisha and Joseph.

A bow of steel is attributed to Elisha and is fugurative of strength and vigor. Joseph of the OT also has one personally attributed to him.

666=multitudes of a man=the followers of Muhammad.

This rider wears a 'stephanos' which is a victors crown.

Crowns actually developed into turbans. In Exodus the high priest word 'crowns' which were a piece of cloth tied around the head with a plate of gold attached to it. They devoloped into turbans as people couldn't afford the plate of gold and omited it and thus you have a turban.

The Persian's also word a piece of cloth around their head with a precious stone attached to it.

So I say that the first seal is symbolic of holy war and has already been opened.

Boy, you are reading a lot into all of that.

And you are wrong about the Arabs, too. The Arabs predate Ishmael. Esau was the father of the Edomites. The Edomites are lost to history as are many people groups. The Palestinians hail from many areas in the middleeast that the Edomites never inhabited. The Palestinians are simply Arabs. They were never known as Palestinians until 1964. The Palestinians come from North Africa, Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen, Lebanon, Syria, Saudi Arabia , Jordan, etc. They are nothing but the descendents of migrant Arab workers who came to pre-Israel Palestine looking for employment in the early 20th century.

Trying to tie the stephanos to the turbin is also a bit of a stretch.

The "holy war" has nothing to do with the ancient rivalry between Isaac and Ishmael OR Jacob and Esau. It has to do with the intolerance of the Islamic religion. It is a religious war agaisnt the world, including Israel. It is not exclusively a war agaisnt Israel.

Of course I'm being defensive! I'm defending what I said.

Listen. We are trying to interpret the bible. We shouldn't assume the rider has arrows if the Word doesn't mention them. If arrows are not mentioned then they cannot be considered in the interpretation.

Well, I'm sorry you have to get angry. But here are examples of that for which I speak:

Genesis 27:3 - "Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;

Genesis 48:22 - "I give you one portion more than your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow."

Genesis 49:24 - But his bow remained firm, And his arms were agile, From the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel ),

1 Samuel 18:4 - Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was on him and gave it to David, with his armor, including his sword and his bow and his belt.

2 Samuel 1:22 - "From the blood of the slain, from the fat of the mighty, The bow of Jonathan did not turn back, And the sword of Saul did not return empty.

2 Kings 6:22 - He answered, "You shall not kill them. Would you kill those you have taken captive with your sword and with your bow ? Set bread and water before them, that they may eat and drink and go to their master."

Psalm 44:6 - For I will not trust in my bow, Nor will my sword save me.

Isaiah 21:15 - For they have fled from the swords, From the drawn sword, and from the bent bow And from the press of battle.

Isaiah 41:2 - "Who has aroused one from the east Whom He calls in righteousness to His feet ? He delivers up nations before him And subdues kings. He makes them like dust with his sword, As the wind-driven chaff with his bow.

Jeremiah 6:23 - "They seize bow and spear ; They are cruel and have no mercy ; Their voice roars like the sea, And they ride on horses, Arrayed as a man for the battle Against you, O daughter of Zion !"

Jeremiah 50:29 - "Summon many against Babylon, All those who bend the bow : Encamp against her on every side, Let there be no escape . Repay her according to her work ; According to all that she has done, so do to her; For she has become arrogant against the LORD, Against the Holy One of Israel.

Hosea 1:7 - "But I will have compassion on the house of Judah and deliver them by the LORD their God, and will not deliver them by bow, sword, battle, horses or horsemen."

Hosea 2:18 - "In that day I will also make a covenant for them With the beasts of the field, The birds of the sky And the creeping things of the ground. And I will abolish the bow, the sword and war from the land, And will make them lie down in safety.

Zechariah 10:4 - "From them will come the cornerstone, From them the tent peg, From them the bow of battle, From them every ruler, all of them together.

In all of these incidences, "arrows" are not mentioned with the bow. What use would the bow be if arrows were not included with them? I only found a couple verses where "arrows" are mentioned with the bow. I also discovered times where arrows are mentioned without the bow. (And how effective are arrows with no bow?)

This is why I stated that in Scripture, arrows are implied when the bow is mentioned.