IGNORED

"Sinners" Were Drawn to Jesus

I was reminded in a sermon recently that the "sinners" of Jesus day were drawn to Him. It reminded me that as I read the gospels it seems that Jesus would show up in town and people would start coming out of the woodwork. :laugh: That He was often ridiculed by the religious leaders of His day because He hung out with all those prostitutes, tax collectors, etc. Jesus would arrive in a town, and - *bang* there's a crowd.

I wonder why it is that the "sinners" today are not drawn to the very churches that are supposed to represent Jesus? Could it be that they don't see a whole lot of Jesus in many (not all!) churches these days?

Edited by walla299

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Sinners are drawn to Jesus today through the power of God,the preaching of the Gospel,and witness of Christians being Christlike.

Jesus our Saviour

I was reminded in a sermon recently that the "sinners" of Jesus day were drawn to Him. It reminded me that as I read the gospels it seems that Jesus would show up in town and people would start coming out of the woodwork. :laugh: That He was often ridiculed by the religious leaders of His day because He hung out with all those prostitutes, tax collectors, etc. Jesus would arrive in a town, and - *bang* there's a crowd.

I wonder why it is that the "sinners" today are not drawn to the very churches that are supposed to represent Jesus?

Isaiah 53 makes it pretty clear that people were probably not drawn to Him because of His appearance. I'm guessing here, buy I would imagine Jesus looked like any other Jewish carpenter of the time. There was something else about Jesus that drew people to Him.

I don't want to turn this into a bashing session, but when I bring up the topic of God to non-believers, the one issue that usually pops up is the sex scandals. People don't distinguish between the catholic church and other denominations. In their eyes we're all the same.

Professing christians killing abortion doctors. Again, we are all labeled as lunatics.

This last stunt concerning the Qua'ran. One tiny congregation managed to cast a shadow over the entire Gospel.

The church has had it's share of controversy and people remember that. They may see good things that the church has done, but the bad is what's remembered.

When Jesus came onto the scene, He was different. He showed no partiality. Ones standing in society made no difference to Him. It's not like that today. I'm not saying we're all like that, but a majority of the christians today do show partiality. They tend to shun people who are not like them.

I think the reason people aren't flocking to our churches is because of us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

I wonder why it is that the "sinners" today are not drawn to the very churches that are supposed to represent Jesus? Could it be that they don't see a whole lot of Jesus in many (not all!) churches these days?

I have no doubt that this may be the case at times, but we are also told that the love of many will turn cold. In the last days, the world will be even more wicked then before everywhere, which would also have something to do with what they are searching for. I do believe that those who Christ spoke with grew up knowing about God, where most kids today in the US don't.

2 Timothy 3:1-5

But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

Signs of the times!

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There are about a dozen verses similar to this one:

"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him/her ..." (John 6:44).

Edited by Porter-77