Burqa ban in Australia on the cards

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

http://www.news.com.au/national/muslim-women-protest-against-push-to-ban-burka-in-australia/story-e6frfkvr-1225926494355

I don't know why Fred Nile is doing this :taped:. They are already trying to remove christian liberties, what he is doing here (if it passes) is opening the door and setting new standards for the manner in which they are allowed to remove even more of our liberties.

I haven't weighed into this debate at worthy, but I'm hoping this ban falls flat on it's face.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

The silly part of this is that islam, oppressive as it is, does NOT require women to cover their faces, only their hair. They should be free to wear hijab, if they wish, but in western countries concealing one's face (and thus one's identity) is not acceptable; especially when entering public places. They need to get outside their 7th century box and think like civilized people living in a modern society. We have had the same issues here, although they are very rare, where islamic women want to have a driver's license photo taken with their entire face covered. :rolleyes: Kinda defeats the purpose of an I.D. photo, huh?

The silly part of this is that islam, oppressive as it is, does NOT require women to cover their faces, only their hair. They should be free to wear hijab, if they wish, but in western countries concealing one's face (and thus one's identity) is not acceptable; especially when entering public places. They need to get outside their 7th century box and think like civilized people living in a modern society. We have had the same issues here, although they are very rare, where islamic women want to have a driver's license photo taken with their entire face covered. :rolleyes: Kinda defeats the purpose of an I.D. photo, huh?

Why is it unacceptable? Says who? :noidea:

They should be free to exercise their religion as much as they wish while not invading the privacy and freedom of others. I really don't mind that they completely cover up except in those very rare security settings.

They really don't need to get out of their "box" at all, they are free to do as they wish. The fact that they cover their faces really doesn't imply they aren't civilised people living in a modern society :blink: . This is an expression and practice of their faith which they are entitled to do.

The problem here is that it might be islam they are puttig prohibitive measures on now, but it will be the christian faith soon, and none of us want that.

I really hate the thought that people have to live up to our own expectations of 'civilised people living in a modern society' before we will grant them the right to practice and express their religion as they wish (within the normal safety framework). So what if they want to cover up?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

but in western countries concealing one's face (and thus one's identity) is not acceptable; especially when entering public places.

The same reason it is illegal for a person to transact on an outdoor ATM with a biker's helmet on. Walking down the street is no big deal. but when it comes to matters involving identification, faces have to be seen.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

They should be free to exercise their religion as much as they wish while not invading the privacy and freedom of others. I really don't mind that they completely cover up except in those very rare security settings.

They really don't need to get out of their "box" at all, they are free to do as they wish. The fact that they cover their faces really doesn't imply they aren't civilised people living in a modern society :blink: . This is an expression and practice of their faith which they are entitled to do.

The problem here is that it might be islam they are puttig prohibitive measures on now, but it will be the christian faith soon, and none of us want that.

I really hate the thought that people have to live up to our own expectations of 'civilised people living in a modern society' before we will grant them the right to practice and express their religion as they wish (within the normal safety framework). So what if they want to cover up?

Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with any of that. Their way of life is not compatible with civilzation. Unless you're talking a couple of millenia ago.

but in western countries concealing one's face (and thus one's identity) is not acceptable; especially when entering public places.

The same reason it is illegal for a person to transact on an outdoor ATM with a biker's helmet on. Walking down the street is no big deal. but when it comes to matters involving identification, faces have to be seen.

Neb you quoted me so far out of context and made it look like those words of mine were in response to the statement by MG. I did make a point that I wasn't willing to impede on security :sad030: and that got totally lost...

The fact is that they aren't just banning burka's for those times when you are using an ATM or having your drivers licence photo taken. They are banning them outright and I think its wrong.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with any of that. Their way of life is not compatible with civilzation. Unless you're talking a couple of millenia ago.

Not compatable with your version of civilisation perhaps, but they are quite entitled to live that way, regardless of whether we agree or not.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Neb you quoted me so far out of context and made it look like those words of mine were in response to the statement by MG. I did make a point that I wasn't willing to impede on security :sad030: and that got totally lost...

I'm sorry. :( I did miss that point.

Please forgive me.

I'm sorry. :( I did miss that point.

Please forgive me.

Love you Neb. Sorry I got frustrated. :emot-hug:

Luke 12