• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

This is kind-of fun to browse through.

One word of caution - even though there are elements that would if established unravel critical understandings of science as we know it, using such in a debate to discredit anything or prove anything would backfire - since these things are in the speculation stage, and any points are conclusions or proofs drawn from them would be speculation as well.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html?full=true

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

Thanks nebs good article

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Oh I like this one:

Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old.

Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, so there is no way heat radiation could have travelled between the two horizons to even out the hot and cold spots created in the big bang and leave the thermal equilibrium we see now.

And this one:

If the observations are correct, the only vaguely reasonable explanation is that a constant of physics called the fine structure constant, or alpha, had a different value at the time the light passed through the clouds.

But that's heresy. Alpha is an extremely important constant that determines how light interacts with matter - and it shouldn't be able to change. Its value depends on, among other things, the charge on the electron, the speed of light and Planck's constant. Could one of these really have changed?

• 4 weeks later...

Help!!! I just joined this chat room, and need to know how to put forward some itmes I would like to have discussion on. How do I go about it. Thanks for the answer.

DCC

Welcome!

>>>>>()<<<<<

Help!!! I just joined this chat room, and need to know how to put forward some items I would like to have discussion on. How do I go about it. Thanks for the answer.

DCC

Make 10 Posts (Not In The Fellowship Threads) And It Will Open Up

Start With Opening Up A Thread In The Welcome Section And Reply To Each Post And You'll Get there Before Your Keyboard Can Cool Off!

>>>>>()<<<<<

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I would think that if it was so simple, the experts would have figured that out by now. But it seems as if they have not. This indicates to me that it is not so simple as you propose.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I would think that if it was so simple, the experts would have figured that out by now. But it seems as if they have not. This indicates to me that it is not so simple as you propose.

Of course. But there are many possibilities before invoking a varying speed of light.

Honestly, as an atheist, I would love it if somebody proves that the so-called constants of nature

are not constant at all but vary (the wilder, the better). As a scientist I rate the chances

of this event quite slim, though.

In this particular case I can think of very simple scenarios involving two particles, separated by 28 billions light-years

of space, which were once in contact, even though the universe is ca 14 billion years old and speed of

light did not change.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your field of scientific expertise, ricercar? :emot-questioned:

.... I would think that if it was so simple, the experts would have figured that out by now. But it seems as if they have not. This indicates to me that it is not so simple as you propose....

.... Honestly, as an atheist, I would love it if somebody proves that the so-called constants of nature are not constant at all but vary (the wilder, the better). As a scientist I rate the chances of this event quite slim, though....

If you don't mind my asking, what is your field of scientific expertise, ricercar? :emot-questioned:

I have a master degree in computer engineering and one in applied mathematics. My job is mainly design of control systems....

:thumbsup:

One Of The Nice Things About Engineers And/Or Mathematicians (IMO) Is That These Folks Have The Freedom To Actually Make An Honest Professional Living Without Adding The Evolution Mythos Into Every Thought, Paper, Device And Manuel They Produce.

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:8

And Especially When Dealing With Physics, We Know We Scientifically Don't Know Much About What Is

And We Know Nothing Scientifically About What Was (Origins), About Values And About What Will Be (Destinies).

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

And Yes Dear One That Is Exciting Stuff

>>>>>()<<<<<

The laws of physics are different in different parts of the universe, according to new evidence uncovered by a team of Australian and British astrophysicists.

- - - - - - -

The report describes how one of the supposed fundamental constants of Nature appears not to be constant after all. Instead, this 'magic number' known as the fine-structure constant -- 'alpha' for short -- appears to vary throughout the universe.

- - - - - - -

Recent observations of metallic atoms in gas clouds 12 billion light years from Earth may help to confirm the theories of four physicists who have been working for over a decade in virtual obscurity on an outlandish notion -- that cherished fundamental constants of nature, such as the speed of light, might not be constant after all.

Using the world's largest telescope, the 30-foot-wide Keck Telescope in Hawaii, a team of experimentalists led by John Webb of the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia, observed patterns of light absorption that could not be explained without assuming a change in a basic constant of nature called the fine structure constant, a combination of 3 other universal constants: electric charge, light speed, and Planck's constant, named for the German physicist Max Planck and important in the study of atoms and subatomic particles.

Because the speed of light is an integral part of the fine structure constant, the work of John Moffat, John Barrow, Andreas Albrecht, and Joao Magueijo is the theoretical centerpiece of what could become one of the most stunning and revolutionary scientific discoveries ever -- that light does not travel at a constant speed.

Moffat, a physicist at the University of Toronto, first proposed a variable speed of light as a way to explain certain cosmological puzzles, such as why the universe has uniform temperatures and densities. Known as the "horizon problem," this universal homogeneity is hard to explain if light has forever traveled at the same constant speed. Light carries the information that would smooth out the many density and temperature variations that must have arisen after the Big Bang. The universe is simply too big for constant-speed light signals to have had time to travel around smoothing out all the lumps -- that is, unless light traveled much faster in the early universe than it does today.

"It is immediately obvious that if the speed of light were larger in the past one could resolve the horizon problem of the universe," Demos Kazanas, a physicist with the Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., told United Press International.

Moffat published his ideas on light speed in the International Journal of Physics and Foundations of Physics in 1993.

>>>>>()<<<<<

Believe

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

And Be Blessed Beloved

Love, Joe