wayne0214

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Well, if you are ever told that about your church I hope you would have something good to reply with.  I just sat there looking really stupid!

This is the website of the church I go to.  It is a non denominational.  I love how our congregation has a rich mix of races too.  Many churchs, especially in the south are either all black or all white.  We have it all.  

I believe you'll get a better idea of the church I attend by looking at the site.  I am horrible at explaining things. You know, getting across in words what I mean.  

Please take a look:

http://www.cbcofbeaufort.org/index.html

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I have to agree with teri that the Catholic church could be considered a cult.  What concerns me so much is the stranglehold this church has on people from birth to death.

"He who has the Son is free indeed"

When you invite a Catholic out to a Christian meeting, they say, well I'm catholic.  This supposedly explains everything.  In other words - they don't want Christian evangelical or pentecostal fellowship.

What is even more disconcerting, is that some news reports say "christians and so and so are fighting" "have been fighting for generations", etc., etc.  What would be truly an eye opener is if the news would report as follows:

Catholics and so and so have been fighting again

or

Born again Spirit filled BELIEVERS praying for their communities

or

Orthodox Jews in altercation with Catholic priests

etc.

When we read the word "Christian" what does it mean?

I have come to the conclusion that the word is used in a meaningless way in this day and age.

Similar I suppose to Protestant (public school) versus Catholic (separate school) supporters, Christians are being lumped together, regardless of what they actually believe and live out personally.

If the Bible says - by their fruit you shall know them, and as the popular song - They will know we are Christians by our LOVE, By our LOVE....

Clashes between people groups need to be reported accurately as humanly possible.  It is not enough to say:  Christians and Hindus and Islamics clash over this or that.

There is a lot of inflammatory "reporting" going on, our own Canadian and American journalists are not exempt.

The power of the printed word is immense, as seen by these forums in the shaping of our attitudes and resulting actions.

There are many here in these forums who are obviously well read and enjoy these discussions.  I have come to appreciate the various forumers and their take on world events.  It is a tremendous opportunity to speak out and forumulate what we believe in.

Sorry I'm rambling.  My parents gave me a poster when I was young girl about 14 years old that said:

Everyone has a right to my opinion.

I have been careful since then, but maybe not careful enough to not try to impose my "opinion" on someone, but as seen by Teri's comments - I am truly encouraged by her ability to bring forth truth in this forum.  It is truly a gift from God to be able to dialogue in this manner.

Nuf for now.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Christopher

I like this definition of cult:

CULT - Any group which has a pyramid type authoritarian

leadership structure with all teaching and guidance coming

from the person/persons at the top. The group will claim to be the only way to God; Nirvana; Paradise; Ultimate Reality; Full Potential, Way to Happiness etc, and will use thought reform or mind control techniques to gain control and keep their members.

This definition covers cults within all majopr world

religions, along with those cults which have no OBVIOUS

religious base such as commercial, educational and

psychological cults. Others may define these a little

differently,  but this is the simplest to work from.  

I think the key to identifying a cult is the thought reform and mind control techniques.  In this sense, I believe that Jehova's witnesses are a cult because their leadership discourages independent thought and teaches that you must shun your family if they do not support the religion.  Also, marriages are arranged and activities strictly monitored.

The Branch Davidians in Waco would fall under this definition, as well as doomsday cults.

With other forms of Christianity, it is not so clear.  But it depends on your perspective, I suppose.  One man's cult is another's church.  It's a hard word to define.

Guest EPHRIAM777
Quote: from angels4u on 4:33 pm on Feb. 11, 2002

How sure are you that your church is not a cult?

Eph replies..

Well after we drank the grape kool aid..and didn't die...I knew we were not a cult...LOLOLOL

:)

Just kiddin Just kiddin...!

...As long as MY Pastor follows the word...I follow him..IF he departs from sound teaching...Thats were MY stop is on the "big bus" to heaven...!

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thinkinggal said,"When we read the word "Christian" what does it mean?

I have come to the conclusion that the word is used in a meaningless way in this day and age.

Similar I suppose to Protestant (public school) versus Catholic (separate school) supporters, Christians are being lumped together, regardless of what they actually believe and live out personally.

If the Bible says - by their fruit you shall know them, and as the popular song - They will know we are Christians by our LOVE, By our LOVE...."

This is my thoughts exactly.  Some people really have no idea what it means to be a Christian.

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

I have to agree with teri that the Catholic church could be considered a cult.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

quite a few years back David Breese published a book called "Know the Marks of the Cults" which is really very good, especially for such a short book. It is not some overly scholarly tome, but points out 12 points at which to look to evaluate if a group could legitimately be considered a cult.

After going through these posts, it appears the operative definition of 'cult' here is: "A religion or church with which I disagree!

Guest idied2

I wanted to know where the word started and here is the oldest dictionary I could find it in

Websters 1913

1. Attentive care; homage; worship.

Every one is convinced of the reality of a better self, and of. thecult or homage which is due to it. Shaftesbury.

2. A system of religious belief and worship.

That which was the religion of Moses is the ceremonial or cult of the religion of Christ. Coleridge

Looks like Christianity is a Cult.

De 26:18

And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that thou shouldest keep all his commandments;

Tit 2:14

Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1Pe 2:9

But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  557
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  09/21/1976

A cult generally puts importance on a mediator in front of God. Such as Mohammed, Priests, or Budda. Most churches now days fall under the heading of Apostate, or if you like luke warm. They are more concerned about the money in the basket or making their members feel good than about preaching the gospel. Jesus said in revelations he would spit them out of his mouth. The true church of Jesus Christ is the people who make up his body and are burning with love for him. The more we love Christ the bigger our hearts become and the more love we feel for our fellow man. This gives us the desire to bring others to Christ. Most of the world today is getting caught up in the tolerance movement, even sad to say christians. We cop out on spreading the word of the gospel by saying everyone has a right to believe what they want. This is not what God commanded but the world told us. The world we live in can be viewed as a cult of material Gods. We are slaves to a house payment, car payment, ever increasing insurance, cosmetics, clothing, and all the things we think we have to have. How many people can honestly say they would give it all up and follow Christ. How many people would honestly believe that God would take care of them if they didn't have treasures piled up on earth. We walk blindly through life follow stuff even without realizing it. All of this distracts us from the word of God. The sad thing is even churches do this by setting an example of materialism. Many people go to church on Sunday, put their money in the basket and figure they did their deed for God for the week. Church allows us to put God aside Monday through Saturday and pats us on the back for being a good christian. <p>The Catholic church by the way originated in Babylon, it had a papacy that was tranfered to Alexander the Great when he made it part of the Roman empire. Alexander, wanting some peace between the christians of his empire and the Babylonians merged the two.(or at least tried to). All of the rituals, like holy water, sprinkling of incense, praying to Mother Mary, purgatory, and setting up an idol. (which by the way is Christ on the cross) The cross is empty Christ is alive, he is not a dead guy on a cross. All of this was brought in from the pagans. When the true christians refused to worship in this manner the inquisitions began. Over 900,000 people were killed in the name of Christ. Even now the Catholic Church supports the death penalty, because they say they have had a long standing tradition of supporting it. They are asking any priests that do not agree with this to resign. This is happening right now. So I would say this is a cult. And yes we need to be aware of these things. For one to stay away from it and two to know who to tell the true Gospel to. If we hold on to this worlds tolerance how many people will miss hearing it.<p>Love in Christ

Teri

Good post!!!! :blink:

Guest Monkey on a typewriter

Diconary.com says:

1a: A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

1b: The followers of such a religion or sect.

2: A system or community of religious worship and ritual.

There are more, but these two are the most relivent.

According to the correct definition, every religon is a cult, even christanity. definition 1: christanity is not the most commen religon. Most of the worlds population is not christian, so, when speaking of the world as a whole, christanity is generally considered false. Christans usually live in a manner different from non-christans. This can be as simple as going or not going to church on sundays, or it can be an entire idea about how life is supposed to be lived, also, it says often, so it is not a requirement that all christans live differently from all non-christans. Going back to the fact that the majority of the world is non-christan, the second part of the definition can be applyed. As for the third part, it can be said that Christanity is led by Jesus, although he is no longer alive. He was defanitaly charismatic and sould be considered authoritarian. Thus definitan 1a fits christanity. Definitons 1b and 2 are pritty self-explanitory on how they fit christanity.

So, while we don't veiw it at one from general purpuses, every religon in the world is a cult, and that mean YOURS.