alex_31

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

In Malachi 1 God states that "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated." On the surface it may seem like Esau got a bad rap, because he was deceived by his brother Jacob, resulting in a lost blessing. Is it possible that God made this pronouncement against Esau because gave away his birthright, or perhaps because Jacob's descendants were God's chosen people Israel and Esau's descendants were the Edomites? Any insight or comments would be appreciated...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Let's look to Gods Word and His Holy Spirit for illumination;

Heb 12:16

Lest there be any immoral, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.

Heb 12:17

For you know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

:thumbsup:

Esau's true heart was revealed despite his tears because immediately after his repentance was rejected he sought to murder his brother. Explaining the true motive behind his repentance. It wasn't because he felt he sinned against God, but that he was sorrowful in worldy way for the blessing that he had lost through his despising it for a full belly.

2Co 7:10

For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be regretted: but the sorrow of the world works death.

We see the same pattern in men like King Saul and Judas.:thumbsup:

Yet King David said;

Ps 41:4

I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against you.:wub:

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,398
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Grace to you,

Lest there be any immoral, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.

For you know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

Esau's true heart was revealed despite his tears because immediately after his repentance was rejected he sought to murder his brother. Explaining the true motive behind his repentance. It wasn't because he felt he sinned against God, but that he was sorrowful in worldly way for the blessing that he had lost through his despising it for a full belly.

For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be regretted: but the sorrow of the world works death.

Yet King David said;

I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against you.:wub:

Peace,

Dave

It is interesting that in the proving of Christ in the wilderness this you have spoken of was the very first in that proving... thanks Dave for the timely Word of understanding! Love Steven

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Nicely put together Dave...clear and concise. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you for the thoughtful answer... Perhaps Esau's motive has a parallel to Cain, who after having his offering rejected, also held malice toward his brother.

Grace to you,

Esau's true heart was revealed despite his tears because immediately after his repentance was rejected he sought to murder his brother. Explaining the true motive behind his repentance. It wasn't because he felt he sinned against God, but that he was sorrowful in worldy way for the blessing that he had lost through his despising it for a full belly.

Yet King David said;

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Paul has this to say:

Romans 9:10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.

13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Thank you for the thoughtful answer... Perhaps Esau's motive has a parallel to Cain, who after having his offering rejected, also held malice toward his brother.

It has been said of the 7 deadly sins (man made I know, but still with some relevance), that jealousy is probably the worst, as it leads to a multitude of other sins.....

Disobeying "Thou shalt not covet", has sent many a person down the slippery slope...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Let's not derail this thread with links to another.:thumbsup:

Guest shiloh357

In Malachi 1 God states that "Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated." On the surface it may seem like Esau got a bad rap, because he was deceived by his brother Jacob, resulting in a lost blessing. Is it possible that God made this pronouncement against Esau because gave away his birthright, or perhaps because Jacob's descendants were God's chosen people Israel and Esau's descendants were the Edomites? Any insight or comments would be appreciated...

"Jacob" and "Esau" are the figureheads of two peoples. God is referring to two nations, not two particular individuals. This refers to God's choice of Jacob over Esau. Even before they were born, God chose Jacob (Israel) to be His nation of promise. It is a covenantal statement. God "loved" Jacob in the sense that He preferred Jacob over Esau where His covenant was concerned.