• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

I've never considered myself a missionary before, but that is close to the very heart of Christianity. Let me describe my situation. I live with my parents right now because I have not got the financial means to live independently here on Long Island. I do not resent having to live with them(much) because they've always been good to me and mostly leave me alone when I need to figure things out on my own. My father still reminds me to practice my Cello(i'm 29!) but that's a parent for you. :) My issue arises around the fact that they are not, and never have been, Christian. My mother's mother was catholic and my father's parents were protestant, but they were both science majors in college and give more credence to what they can see/feel/touch/observe. My mother eventually settled into practicing law so she is not someone who I have ever possessed the capacity to debate effectively with. She has years of courtroom experience and is more educated than I am; She is also at least as intelligent as me or more so(a very smart, capable woman!). My sister comes over all the time with her son, to the point where they half live here, and she is not Christian either.

Since becoming Christian about a year ago I have felt a separation from my family on the level of our most fundamental beliefs. I no longer put science in God's place, but rather in his realm. It is difficult to talk to people who possess a lot of intelligence and a different point of view. It is doubly difficult when they are involved with many aspects of your daily life. I live closely with my family members and want them to at least understand where my heart lies, even if they have no interest in finding God and faith in Christ. I can live by example, and try to do so, but I am certain that they will not perceive the true glory of God simply because I have found Him. I do not want to be to overt with my views on faith because I have to live with these people every day. I do not have the option of moving out, so if I offend or annoy them I will have to live with the consequences which could impact my home life.

I respect their right to have an opinion, but sometimes I worry about whether I am doing them a service by respecting that opinion. There's more to this story, but I'll wait to hear responses and questions before I try to describe my whole living situation. :)

I welcome feedback, questions and prayers from anyone who wishes to comment.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,393
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I've never considered myself a missionary before, but that is close to the very heart of Christianity. Let me describe my situation. I live with my parents right now because I have not got the financial means to live independently here on Long Island. I do not resent having to live with them(much) because they've always been good to me and mostly leave me alone when I need to figure things out on my own. My father still reminds me to practice my Cello(I'm 29!) but that's a parent for you. :) My issue arises around the fact that they are not, and never have been, Christian. My mother's mother was catholic and my father's parents were protestant, but they were both science majors in college and give more credence to what they can see/feel/touch/observe. My mother eventually settled into practicing law so she is not someone who I have ever possessed the capacity to debate effectively with. She has years of courtroom experience and is more educated than I am; She is also at least as intelligent as me or more so(a very smart, capable woman!). My sister comes over all the time with her son, to the point where they half live here, and she is not Christian either.

Since becoming Christian about a year ago I have felt a separation from my family on the level of our most fundamental beliefs. I no longer put science in God's place, but rather in his realm. It is difficult to talk to people who possess a lot of intelligence and a different point of view. It is doubly difficult when they are involved with many aspects of your daily life. I live closely with my family members and want them to at least understand where my heart lies, even if they have no interest in finding God and faith in Christ. I can live by example, and try to do so, but I am certain that they will not perceive the true glory of God simply because I have found Him. I do not want to be to overt with my views on faith because I have to live with these people every day. I do not have the option of moving out, so if I offend or annoy them I will have to live with the consequences which could impact my home life.

I respect their right to have an opinion, but sometimes I worry about whether I am doing them a service by respecting that opinion. There's more to this story, but I'll wait to hear responses and questions before I try to describe my whole living situation. :)

I welcome feedback, questions and prayers from anyone who wishes to comment.

I am rejoicing that you have discovered the Spiritual Essence that lies in the true reality of things in Jesus Christ... It is a daily thing to feel and sense what you are going through; for knowledge is increased all around to fulfill Scripture Dan 12:4... the best approach to prideful people of their "God given" abilities of mind is to bring them into the realities of the infinite and that which they have as to amount -?- is

what -?- to that which has no bounds and increases in all aspects of dimensions to that which has beginning... Here is God's Teaching on this

1 Cor 8:1-3

8 Now concerning things offered to idols: We know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies.

2 And if anyone thinks that he knows anything,

he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. 3 But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.

NKJV

I am by this understanding the broken and contrite heart.... for all that I am is but nothing compared to that which is kept by The Lord in humility

of His Person... This question then must be- How much can be hidden by pride? So much that He won't even know who the prideful rejectors are when they die and stand before Him.... Matt 7:23

this renders me to your dilemma of prideful loved ones and the only resolve is to focus as a witness by always keeping yourself toward Him and the Beauty of His excellence in worship = love, adoration and praise He allows to flow through to Him and this making us undone for that which We have become-- a witness of-- is seen by the working of His Blessed Trinity of Being... It is not that we ever arrive but it is the journey that He has set before us to walk with Him in the Light of His Being/Word....Love Steven

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I know just how you feel, Matt, about family members that are straying from the fold or who have never been there to begin with. I think most of us here do.

It IS our responsibility to help the lost come to the Lord and it IS one of the hardest things we will ever do. This is something I would talk to a pastor about, maybe getting some advice on how to approach your family. It's natural to want to make sure your family is going to be in the Kingdom with you.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I agree. It is our responsibity to guide unbelievers to the gospel. But be careful not to be too pushy. I've learned from experience that sometimes the best thing that you can do is pray and live by example. I have a sister in law that is a pagan and my best friend is agnostic but practices some buddhism. I love them dearly and will pray for them until the day I no longer am on this earth. These are precious souls that need saving. Praying for your family!

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,044
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  237
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:emot-highfive: Praise God that you found Him ... He always knew where you were. :emot-highfive:

If you can find God so can your family and He is able to use the example of your life to reach them even without your overt help.

As for debating intelligent people it is MUCH easier to do that than to debate with UNINTELLIGENT people who re not willing or even able to listen or to hear what is being said. YOU do not have to have all the answers, in many ways it is better that you dont since God can give you the words to say when you do not have them yourself. If you debate purly on an intellectual level you and they will miss the most fundamental point ... the RELLATIONSHIP and FAITH.

Praying for you and for your family and please remember to REJ{OICE in Gods love and let the light dshine through in everything you do instead of taking on the worries of the world ... He is MORE than capable of doing that :emot-hug: