alex_31

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What would be the proper balance between prayer and faith for a Christian? If a person makes a request to God, should they only ask for it once and then subsequently just thank God in faith that the prayer has been answered after that until they see the manifestation of it, or should they ask repeatedly showing faith by persistence? A translation of Matt 7:7-8 says 'Keep on asking and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and the door shall be opened'. Also, the parable of the unjust judge seems to illustrate the virtue of persistence in prayer, just like the acronym PUSH(pray until something happens). Perhaps the first method may be correct, because if you were to continually keep asking for something, then in your mind you don't yet believe that you have it(Heb 11:1). Any comments and insight would be very much appreciated...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

Matt. 7:7-8 doesn't say to 'keep' on asking but "Ask, and it will be given to you, seek and you shall find; knock, and it will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knows it will be opened.

We are also told that God knows what it is we need before we ask but we are told to pray for the things we need too. I don't really think that if we wake up each day and continue to pray for the same things we are growing at all in Him and we also know that God does not answer prayers the way we think He should sometimes the answer is a resounding no yet we still sometimes fail to see that no. Sometimes God allows us to wait for whatever it is we need to either teach us something or help us further our relationship with Him. My personal opinion about asking for something, if its a great need in ones life I believe He will send us the help that He thinks we need, but that constantly coming before Him in our prayer time asking for material things can border on what I call the kids prayers, that whole 'mommy, daddy, mommy, daddy, can I can I please have it'. Many times Gods answers are not what we wanted but are always in our best interests at least how He sees them.

Perhaps the first method may be correct, because if you were to continually keep asking for something, then in your mind you don't yet believe that you have it(Heb 11:1).

I am not sure at all what you mean by this, Heb. While the verse isn't exactly telling you what faith is how faith works and not how prayer works although without faith I am pretty sure none would be praying! Faith is a that strong trust we have in our God and Savior, that He will keep true to His words. Also I am not a fan of that push thingy seems like its telling you to pray for something until God gives it to you, I am not familiar with that term at all, is it part of your church or others churches?

shalom,

Mizz

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thank you for your thoughtful response... As to the acronym, I had heard it used in certain non-denominational mainstream ministries.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

1Th 5:16 Rejoice always,

1Th 5:17 pray without ceasing,

1Th 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

If you have a need, or a burning desire for a gift you think the Holy Spirit may want to use through you. If you desire for someone to be healed through Jesus. If you have a thorn in your side.

If you just want to worship God through prayer.

"Pray without ceasing"

Sometimes, most times your prayers, your ceaseless prayers, are a true indication of the faith you have that God will answer.

Pray without ceasing. Make your every breath a prayer.

Pray without ceasing.

Blessings

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  517
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

What would be the proper balance between prayer and faith for a Christian? If a person makes a request to God, should they only ask for it once and then subsequently just thank God in faith that the prayer has been answered after that until they see the manifestation of it, or should they ask repeatedly showing faith by persistence? A translation of Matt 7:7-8 says 'Keep on asking and you will receive, seek and you will find, knock and the door shall be opened'. Also, the parable of the unjust judge seems to illustrate the virtue of persistence in prayer, just like the acronym PUSH(pray until something happens). Perhaps the first method may be correct, because if you were to continually keep asking for something, then in your mind you don't yet believe that you have it(Heb 11:1). Any comments and insight would be very much appreciated...

I think mizzdy answered this quite well. I would add that faith is found in trusting that what you're praying for is God's will. That is, it is in the service of love that we are seeking God's guidance, or providence. The Holy Spirit is most likely the inspiration for such prayer. Faith is not believing you will get what you want. Faith is believing what you're praying for is right. We might pray for someone who is ill, yet God may have a better plan than us. These are always complicated issues, trying to guess God's will, but I know prayer works.

Once I was driving down the Highway and passed a van on the side of the road. There were maybe ten people standing out side the van and I mentioned to my wife who was with me, "I wonder what is up with those people?" Immediately, I heard a voice inside me say, "These people are praying for someone to bring them a jack". So I got off the highway got back on going the other direction, got off and on again so I could come up behind them. I pulled up behind them and when I got out, I walked up to them and said, "God told me you were all praying for someone to bring you a jack". They all began jumping up and down, raising their fists in victory and shouting unto God with great joy. It was a wonderful experience.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Three part answer,

sometimes we are to pray once and then its done, and let the Lord use this. the "shotgun" prayer approach and yes it's Biblical, a

quick cry out to daddy. Not always recommended. See Nehemiah 2.

Then there is the persistent prayer when you have burden or a need, see Daniel 10. When the Lord puts a desire for prayer on your heart, I say pray until an answer comes or a release of the burden.

Then there is the Praying with out ceasing being in a constant state of prayer, of being in his presence of all time, and that is much easier said then done,

I found the book "A Short and Easy Method of Prayer" by Jeanne Guyon. Helpful in this.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

I believe God knows what we want before we ask but He wants us to ask. With confidence we can come boldly to the throne. Halleluiah! We must continually thank God for answering our prayer and believe it will be answered. The book of Daniel 9& 10 gives us some insight on what is happening in the spiritual realm when we pray. In chapter 10, I think if Daniel would have broken his fast (23rd day ?) because of doubt his answer would not have been given. Daniel held fast believing God for an answer.

2 Corinthians 1

20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God.

Philippians 4:6 (Amplified Bible)

6Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.

I believe that God says yes to all that is asked according to his promises but in His timing and how long we stay in faith. When we think God says "no" that automatically will create doubt.

Matthew 14:31

And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him "O you of little faith, why did you doubt"

Matthew 21:21

So Jesus answered and said to them "Assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but also if you say to the mountain, "Be removed and cast into the sea," it will be done.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

We might pray for someone who is ill, yet God may have a better plan than us. These are always complicated issues, trying to guess God's will, but I know prayer works.

Jesus has healed us at the cross. I believe it's the devils plan to kill us. For me Gods will is simple. Love! What would this world be like if we loved one another instead of putting our selfish desires ahead of others. This is something that I ask God for help everyday!

1 Peter 2:24

24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousnessby whose stripes you were healed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/06/1967

I think that when you pray, you should have the faith in your heart that the God you pray to hears and answers. Power is not in the prayer, but in the One you pray to.

Secondly, when you pray, you should have the faith that when (not if) God answers, it may not always be the answer or outcome you expect it to be, but you must have that faith and conviction that whatever the outcome may be, the God who answers is an all knowing God, a loving and faithful God, a God who does not withhold anything good from those who love Him, and who knows what is best for His children.

And thirdly, when you pray, surrender to the Lord's authority that He will do what will glorify Him the most.

Blessings...South

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Jesus is the Christ.

Jesus asked three times in the garden.

His human will was not aligned with the "will of His Father" until after the third prayer.

Faith comes by hearing.

Have you ever heard an answer to your prayer?

Jesus heard the answer "No." three times.

Jesus is Lord!