• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

QUOTE (charlie @ Sep 11 2004, 08:21 PM)

Maybe the HS is not what's doing the "convicting" here. Maybe it's all the politically correct anti-smoking jargon that's making her feel guilty.

charlie! we AGREE on something!

When we are the children of God, bought by the precious Blood of the Lamb, the Holy Spirit is always at work in us - speaking to us through many and diverse ways.

Being a Christian is not a compartamentalized existence.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

QUOTE (charlie @ Sep 11 2004, 08:21 PM)

Maybe the HS is not what's doing the "convicting" here. Maybe it's all the politically correct anti-smoking jargon that's making her feel guilty.

charlie! we AGREE on something!

When we are the children of God, bought by the precious Blood of the Lamb, the Holy Spirit is always at work in us - speaking to us through many and diverse ways.

Being a Christian is not a compartamentalized existence.

i think the post was to mean that sometimes what we assume to be conviction from God isnt. im sure there are countless believers who feel guilty for drinking b/c of what they have been told. i speak from personal experience. when i became a believer, i was in a church that for the most part condemned all alcohol. but i didnt agree, but was inexperienced in knowledge on the issue. so when my wife and i had some wine w/ our dinner, i felt a little uneasy. not b/c God was leading me otherwise, but b/c i felt differently on an issue but had trouble explaining myself b/c of newness w/ Christ.

but i do agree that God speaks to us in many ways. i will say it again, i feel guilt is not always reliable.

in Christ

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  346
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  05/25/1964

I was also a smoker. Started when i was 17. I too was convicted about it, For me it was in 1995 after accepting Christ as my Savior. It took me about a year after feeling the conviction to finally try to quit, but once I listened to the voice, and had the faith that God wanted me to quit, I did. Cold turkey. It helped that I brought it up to my church family and they all prayed for me. Only with the help of the Holy Spirit could that have happened.

Now, on the opposite end as in Lady C not feeling the conviction..... I have a Grandma that felt the conviction to wear a head covering. She heard a clear voice from Christ to her to do so. Scripture does have the vs. that talks of women covering their heads when they pray. For the longest time, she was horrified all the rest of us in the family would not also wear one, and don't feel strongly about it as she did. But u see, we all did not get that same conviction.

I also know, that if Christ expected us to be saved, and we were immediately convicted of every piece of imperfection in our lives, we'd feel we failed so miserably, and would just give up. He takes piece by piece, and changes us, slowly as we trust and grow in relationship with Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  557
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  09/21/1976

I am not a smoker so I do not know how it affects one's relationship with God. So I can't answer that question. However there is one comment I would like to address...

I know that it is not good for my health nor good for my relationship with GOD as it always makes me feel bad and guilty.

This sounds like the Holy Spirit convicting you...let me share a verse with you...

Romans 14:23

But if people have doubts about whether they should eat something, they shouldn't eat it. They would be condemned for not acting in faith before God. If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning.

The passage mentions eating, but I believe it could be applied to anything. I hope that this helps....

God Bless!

Debbie

This can be applied to smoking, drinking, tattoos, drinking, or taking posion, or anything.

You see God may justify someone, yet most of the time, God does not, why because people who do these things, do them because they get effected, so as to not rely upon God, rather they rely upon those things, yet they are permisible, yet not edifying, all things are permisible to me, but not all things edify, and therefore let us do things which edify, which do not have any appearance of evil to other people. God knows the hearts, and people are justified by what comes out of there mouth, or condemned by what comes out of there mouth, not what is done to the physical body. How are we saved, through The Holy Spirit if The Holy Spirit leads us then are we the sons of God, if The Holy Spirit is leading you, to not do those things, which seemingly He is, then listen to Him, and Christ blood will cover those areas of your life.

• Content Count:  328

Sachi, excellent post!

We are stewards of everything God grants to us by His grace... money, goods, relationships, time, and even our bodies!

God gave you your body so that you could live, come to know Him, and then serve Him in this world.

It is His, as is absolutely everything.

"Knowing this, that ye are the temple of the Holy Ghost, and ye are not your own." (paraphrase)

Scripture says, "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." (emphasis mine)

Your smoking does not glorify God. Furthermore, it eats up money you could be using for His glory, and, obviously, harms your body.

Moreover, quitting smoking would most definitely improve your testimony, as well as making you more reliant on Jesus.

"For me, all things are permissable, but not all things are expedient (useful)."

Can you have a relationship with God as a smoker? I suppose so...

But the relationship would be far better if you quit smoking.

Quitting would be to the glory of God, and it would be "doing good".

"Now, to those who know to do good and do it not, it is counted to them for sin." (paraphrase)

I'll be praying for you. :il:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

All for the One, for the One died for all!

NF

Edited by Nero's Fiddle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

I had been given what I think is good advice. When we are convicted and yet do not have the desire to quit something tell that to God. Tell Him that you're having trouble desiring the things of God and detesting the things of the world. Then ask Him to make you want to obey.

Lord I don't want to give up "coffee."  I like it too much.  I know it isn't doing me much good and I know You want me to quit.  help me to obey you and honor you in my body, soul, & spirit.

I've done this with several things in my life and in all of them He has delivered me. I still drink coffee but when I prayed that prayer I was drinking 2 pots a day. I needed my caffene fix every hour. I was able to quit for over a year and now I have 1-2 cups a day.

LT

first of all, regarding being good stewards of money, our bodies, etc...

fiddle, how often to you grab a bite to eat at the local mcdonalds or other fast food restaurant? how often do you go out and buy a CD? how often do you go see a movie, or rent one? how often do you eat a bag of potato chips?

see where i'm going with this?

second... i don't think anyone can truly judge what kind of witness it makes of those who smoke. there are many people in this world that think christians can't possibly be someone they can relate to. i know there have been many i've witnessed to that have told me flat out that it was because of who i am, what i am, that made them even take the time to listen.

i say this not just regarding smoking, but regarding other things. i used to manage a pool hall. i was a beer-slinger by trade. i was constantly convicted by my family about where i worked, how i dressed, or that i smoked, and yet God used me in that situation exactly as i was, to reach people that my brothers or parents could never have reached.

and years later, God convicted my heart, and i argued with Him for about three months before i finally submitted to His will and quit my job. but... for 7 years, He had me right where He wanted me, flaws and all.

i also recall once, as a youth group leader for our church, a young boy who told me once that i was the only YGL he could relate to. you see, he was struggling to stay off drugs. because i smoked cigarettes, he felt more comfortable talking to me about issues he was dealing with than anyone else. the sad thing is, when i left that church, he quit coming to youth groups altogether.

so what YOU may think is a poor witness, may actually be the thing that makes someone else's witness effective to those who are hardest to reach.

• Content Count:  328

I know the feeling, larryt.

I used to drink can after can of caffeinated soda. When I realized that I ingested caffeine at intervals more than sufficient to create an addiction, I became worried. I came to understand that relying on something other than my Jesus, especially something that alters one's state of mind and emotions (such as caffeine and nicotene), is not good for my testimony or my Christian walk.

Quitting caffeine cold turkey was not really an option. It can give you headaches and even migraines, as well as making you "groggy" all the time. I had school.

I took a more gradual approach: one week, I drank three servings of caffeine a day, the next week two, the last week only one, and then I didn't drink any at all.

Occasionally, I'll still have a diet coke or a glass of tea. But diet A&W (no caffeine) and juice suffices for more regualr drinking.

(BTW, diet A&W is the king of soft drinks... no calories, no carbs, no caffeine, no phosphoric acid, and a pleasant taste. :wub: )

We are stewards of everything God grants to us by His grace... money, goods, relationships, time, and even our bodies!

true

"Knowing this, that ye are the temple of the Holy Ghost, and ye are not your own." (paraphrase)

1 Cor. 3:16 is not a discourse on what we eat or put into our bodies. please read in context.

Your smoking does not glorify God. Furthermore, it eats up money you could be using for His glory, and, obviously, harms your body.

Moreover, quitting smoking would most definitely improve your testimony, as well as making you more reliant on Jesus.

you say this assuming you know all that God can be glorified in. what about a smoking non believer who confides in believing smoker b/c he/she sees them as approachable?

im not saying smoking isnt expensive, but where do you draw the line? could i not go through your closet and say that you dont really need four pairs of shoes. that money could go to better use for God's glory.

But the relationship would be far better if you quit smoking.

Quitting would be to the glory of God, and it would be "doing good".

not so sure about this one. what do you base this on?

in Christ

Occasionally, I'll still have a diet coke or a glass of tea. But diet A&W (no caffeine) and juice suffices for more regualr drinking.

JUICES for regular drinking?!?!?! what about all that sugar? isnt this 'bad' for you as well?

in Christ