• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I just wanted to add a small comment here, something of interest I noted when I first arrived at what is largely an American forum. It appeared to me that (fundamentalist) Christianity and patriotism goes hand in hand in the states, I see a massive support for the troops etc come from you guys. The opposite is true here. It seems that christian faith is negatively associated with things commonly ascribed to patriotism in the states. Interesting cultural influence, and shows that Christian piety should be measured independent of one's level of patriotism. Likewise, patriotism, or lack thereof, does not imply piety. And if I really spoke my mind, you'd all slay me!

Don't take this wrong ~candice~, I'm not degrading your beautiful country. Here in the USA there is a reason for massive support for our troops, Those troops are our sons, daughters, mothers, fathers and they are fighting for our freedoms, one of those freedoms just so happens to be freedom of religion. We don't have to worry (not yet, anyhow) about somebody shooting us when we kneel down to pray to our Heavenly father.

Even though there are those political groups/individuals (not mentioning any names) that are trying their best to convince us God doesn't belong in our government. God is a very big part of our government and there is no way they can kick God out. If you really think about it, it's a foolish notion to think you can kick God out of anything.

I should make a "Here's your sign" for Oba............ oops, I'm not mentioning any names. :taped:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

I understand, it just does not work that way here :thumbsup:. Supporting the troops is not seen as much of an element to Christian practice here.

One negative thing I have noticed. There are people who attribute certain spiritual beliefs to me which are untrue because they PERCIEVE me as a liberal.

I am against abortion as much as anyone, but I am not as far right as most on Worthy. That makes my belief no less real than anyone elses.

With all due respect "KatyAnn" your post lost me as far as pertaining to the topic. :39: Did somebody hit a nerve?

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,925
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

One negative thing I have noticed. There are people who attribute certain spiritual beliefs to me which are untrue because they PERCIEVE me as a liberal.

I am against abortion as much as anyone, but I am not as far right as most on Worthy. That makes my belief no less real than anyone elses.

Politically I am very right-wing. (Not necessarily Republican, mind you. More Constitutionalist or Libertarian). But I've struggled with the issue of "pre-judging" other Christians, based on their politics, ever since I became a Christian in the early 80s.

During the 1984 election, my wife and I had just started attending an evangelical church. There was an older gentlemen there (I'll call him Sam) who I didn't know real well at the time. Of course, I ASSUMED he was a conservative (based on the fact we were living in a conservative state at the time, attending a conservative church, etc.)

One day, in the heat of the political season, I noticed a "Mondale/Ferraro" bumper sticker on his car. (For the benefit of the un-initiated, Walter Mondale was the 1984 democrat POTUS candidate - very liberal, pro-abortion, etc.). I ALMOST (but didn't, PTL) went up to him and said "hey Sam, some joker stuck a Mondale bumper sticker on your car".

Well, as I came to better know "Sam", I learned he was a very politically liberal, union-oriented man. But I also came to know him as one of the best brothers in Christ that I've had the good fortune to meet. ("Sam" has since gone home to be with the Lord)

This was a tough lesson for me - one I still struggle with. There may be political issues that I am adamant on, but other Christians certainly can see things differently.

I don't know - perhaps it will all make sense when we go home ourselves to be with the Lord.

Or maybe then it won't matter :laugh:

Blessings!

-Ed

Edited by SavedByGrace1981

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What makes America so different in this issue, though, is because "God and country" has been a root to our culture.

Many people came to America with the sole purpose of religious freedom. I know of at least one group (forget the name, but they landed in what is now Virginia I believe) who dedicated this land to the Lord and the spreading of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The words of our Founding Fathers are filled with references to faith, to God, to the Bible, and such.

There is a rich heritage of faith that exists in this nation that does not exist in others. There are more examples, but hopefully, this will give you an idea.

I believe this is why so many Christians are tied to faith and patriotism.

What makes America so different in this issue, though, is because "God and country" has been a root to our culture.

Many people came to America with the sole purpose of religious freedom. I know of at least one group (forget the name, but they landed in what is now Virginia I believe) who dedicated this land to the Lord and the spreading of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The words of our Founding Fathers are filled with references to faith, to God, to the Bible, and such.

There is a rich heritage of faith that exists in this nation that does not exist in others. There are more examples, but hopefully, this will give you an idea.

I believe this is why so many Christians are tied to faith and patriotism.

:thumbsup:

OK, now you've made me have to look it up....

I think it was the first arrivals to set up the Jamestown colony I was thinking of.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

It has even made me wonder if the American flag in the area where worship services are held is even good discipleship.

If I recall correctly there's some legal issue that requires the American flag there - something regarding public meeting places (not targeting churches, but as a building designed to be a public meeting place).

If so it's terrible that in a free society people should be forced to display an idol of the state.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

It's not a particularly American thing. I live in a country where the Head of State is also the head of the national church and "defender of the faith", which is clearly absolute nonsense. It's something that for Christianity, started with Constantine. It didn't make the Roman Empire "Holy" and those who think that their country is some how more Godly than others are dangerously deluded. The UK, the USA,and all the rest are just transient human creations, not worthy of veneration.

It's not a particularly American thing. I live in a country where the Head of State is also the head of the national church and "defender of the faith", which is clearly absolute nonsense....

What you have in Britain is completely different from what we have in America.