• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

One way to help the poor is government funded projects. I manage a few......

I have some wonderful success stories stemming from this government initiative.

For all the things my government does wrong, this is one they are getting right.

Well, dems fighting words in capitalist worthy, but I agree. We need not neglect what our government can do, while maintaining our own responsibility.

One of my responsibilities is fighting for funding. Without it people go hungry, and school fees are not paid. I spend hours into the night sometimes, writing business plans.

If the government gives me the funding, I don't really care about the politics. It's kind of like Paul saying sometimes we ignore the person, as long as the truth is being preached...

As to our own responsibility, I agree. If I thought for a moment I was being forced to compromise my faith for instance, I would have some serious decision making to do....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1

and i'm going to be really nice here and just politely point out that i come from a long line of military people in my family, and my daughter and son-in-law met and fell in love while serving in iraq. i am in full support of this war, and nothing makes me madder than people who think too much money was spent equipping our troops. so let's not go there.

Well, I am a military wife and I don't like the idea of my husband and friends having to fight a war based on lies........but that is a subject for it's own thread.

A large percentage of homeless people are veterans and 70% of the homeless vets are addicts. There is a chance that the angry homeless guy that you honked at was a vet.

Keep supporting your troops!

the government really doesn't have a role in homelessness. not a legitimate one, nor a biblical one. again, that is the responsibility of ministry. can i say that again? nah, think you heard me. but it's not just my worthless little opinion, it's God's opinion too. He is the one who commanded that role be taken by ministry.

Scripture repeatedly calls on the leaders of Israel to help the needy.

i'm not at all bitter and angry at the homeless. but people like you, who act like the homeless should have all rights granted and that people who are not homeless have lesser rights tick me off beyond belief. the only reason i sound bitter and angry in your ears is because you don't care about anything but your own agenda.

Come on now LadyC......as a Christian, what has more value to you........your precious park........or the lost, hungry souls that are hanging out there?

Edited by seeking truth

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

One way to help the poor is government funded projects. I manage a few......

I have some wonderful success stories stemming from this government initiative.

For all the things my government does wrong, this is one they are getting right.

Well, dems fighting words in capitalist worthy, but I agree. We need not neglect what our government can do, while maintaining our own responsibility.

One of my responsibilities is fighting for funding. Without it people go hungry, and school fees are not paid. I spend hours into the night sometimes, writing business plans.

If the government gives me the funding, I don't really care about the politics. It's kind of like Paul saying sometimes we ignore the person, as long as the truth is being preached...

As to our own responsibility, I agree. If I thought for a moment I was being forced to compromise my faith for instance, I would have some serious decision making to do....

Right. Government funded aid is not the ideal, we all know that. It should be a personal responsibility, engaged in by the whole church. But living in reality, we know that the government has it's finger in the pie so to speak, so use that if we can in order to bring care and aid to people. Use the system if it works for you, don't waste your energy fighting it if it doesn't. Just get out there and get your hands dirty doing something :cool:.

i'm not at all bitter and angry at the homeless. but people like you, who act like the homeless should have all rights granted and that people who are not homeless have lesser rights tick me off beyond belief. the only reason i sound bitter and angry in your ears is because you don't care about anything but your own agenda.

Come on now LadyC......as a Christian, what has more value to you........your precious park........or the lost, hungry souls that are hanging out there?

There is no need to make this debate an emotional / personal one. Stick to the topic or watch it get closed down fast.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

Not having food security will cause people to steal, beg, and resort to other desperate measures.

Please explain "Food Security."

The Lord has said this;

Mr 14:7

For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you will you may do them good: but me you have not always.

Your Chief concern is Christ. Then the Lord says that "Y-O-U" can do good to them whenever you wish.

Please expound on the concept of the Lord commanding you to give to Caesar so that he can feed the poor. Use Scripture.:thumbsup:

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

A large percentage of homeless people are veterans and 70% of the homeless vets are addicts.

Addicts are addicted because they choose to be. It isn't the government's job to help them with their addictions. They're addicted because they chose to start using their drug of choice in the first place. I know plenty of vets that aren't addicted to anything. I know some who were addicted but chose to get clean - without government help. My pastor is one of them.

A large percentage of homeless people are veterans and 70% of the homeless vets are addicts.

Addicts are addicted because they choose to be. It isn't the government's job to help them with their addictions. They're addicted because they chose to start using their drug of choice in the first place. I know plenty of vets that aren't addicted to anything. I know some who were addicted but chose to get clean - without government help. My pastor is one of them.

The fact that people choose to get themselves in a mess doesn't negate our personal responsibility to minister to them and meet their needs :wub:. We all choose to sin. But I agree that it isn't the governments responsibility. That lies at our feet. :emot-hug:

We all live every day with consequences of our own sinful choices. Addicts choose to use. Many who have a mental illness choose not to use the medications that would allow them to be productive members of society. As heartless as it may sound, many who got caught up in the recent housing crash did so because they chose to buy a house they couldn't actually afford, generally because they couldn't be satisfied with something that merely met their needs. All of these poor choices can lead one to wind up on the streets. Not saying it applies to everyone there, but the fact is, the government isn't the one responsible for getting them off the streets. It falls to them personally to make better choices and to the ministry to help them once they make those choices.

The fact that people choose to get themselves in a mess doesn't negate our personal responsibility to minister to them and meet their needs :wub:. We all choose to sin. But I agree that it isn't the governments responsibility. That lies at our feet. :emot-hug:

I'm not saying we don't have a personal responsibility to minister to them. That's clearly a commandment. (Love our brother. :) ) I'm just saying that sin has consequences. They choose to sin by using drugs, they become an addict, they lose everything, they wind up on the streets. That's a consequence of their sin. Doesn't mean they don't deserve compassion or help from anyone who feels personally led to help them. I just don't see how the government is responsible for getting them out of the situation.

I know you weren't arguing with me, I'm just trying to clarify my position. :wub:

Guest LadyC

and i'm going to be really nice here and just politely point out that i come from a long line of military people in my family, and my daughter and son-in-law met and fell in love while serving in iraq. i am in full support of this war, and nothing makes me madder than people who think too much money was spent equipping our troops. so let's not go there.

Well, I am a military wife and I don't like the idea of my husband and friends having to fight a war based on lies........but that is a subject for it's own thread.

A large percentage of homeless people are veterans and 70% of the homeless vets are addicts. There is a chance that the angry homeless guy that you honked at was a vet.

Keep supporting your troops!

the government really doesn't have a role in homelessness. not a legitimate one, nor a biblical one. again, that is the responsibility of ministry. can i say that again? nah, think you heard me. but it's not just my worthless little opinion, it's God's opinion too. He is the one who commanded that role be taken by ministry.

Scripture repeatedly calls on the leaders of Israel to help the needy.

that's all you got out of everything i've said? that there was a homeless guy that i honked at? and then you twist everything i've said, and all the work i do FOR the homeless, into being something i do from selfishness and resentment?

you really trip me out.

and you're WAY out of line.

it sickens me that there are people in this world that think the rights of one group should supercede the rights of another group. i'm advocating balance. you're not. i'm advocating helping the downtrodden while keeping society safe for EVERYone, the homeless and homed alike. you're advocating letting the homeless take over and destroy quality of life for others.

and yes, that kind of attitude sickens me beyond belief. THAT is a selfish attitude. it's a hateful attitude. and i'm done talking with you.