Sexual relationships and the learning disabled

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think I can add to what's been said.

:emot-hug: I'm no expert, but I believe you are doing well!

Thank you for your encouragement.

It is reasssuring to know from brothers and sisters in Jesus that I am on the right track, even though staff at my daughter's school think I am just a religious nutcase.

I totally agree that you are doing what's right for you........ You are a reliable loving Christian who knows how to handle these kinds of things.....

I have a question though. For those caretakers who are not Christian and who have worldly morals, would it be the thing to do.

My wife was a kindergarten teacher for over 20 years and one of the major problems with kids of that age groups is that parents really don't instruct children any longer about much of anything.

So, I have to ask, if a caretaker was not a Christian, would you still feel the same about the classes? There are sooooo many perverts in the world today, what about thoae that have perverts for caretakers?

This is really a complicated situation. I have a cousin who became a caretaker for someone in a bit worse shape than the person you are describing here, and when she died from cancer, it seems that no one had any control over who took up the care for the young lady........ it's a scarry thing when you think about it for I know from experience that you can't trust most if any department of health & human services people in any state.

I can see what you're saying and I would agree for instances of christian caretakers....... but I have a problem concerning everyone......

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

As SavedbyGrace1981 mentioned, a support group would be wonderful. Perhaps if you are unable to locate an existing group, you could start one for others who the Omniscient God has found worthy of this struggle. Yes, I believe you have been chosen by the Lord to walk this significant journey. Of course our paths are mapped out for each of us by the Lord, but not just anyone could walk the steps you do, and with the grace that you seem to display. I would say that you are blessed and tried. :emot-hug:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think I can add to what's been said.

:emot-hug: I'm no expert, but I believe you are doing well!

Thank you for your encouragement.

It is reasssuring to know from brothers and sisters in Jesus that I am on the right track, even though staff at my daughter's school think I am just a religious nutcase.

I totally agree that you are doing what's right for you........ You are a reliable loving Christian who knows how to handle these kinds of things.....

I have a question though. For those caretakers who are not Christian and who have worldly morals, would it be the thing to do.

My wife was a kindergarten teacher for over 20 years and one of the major problems with kids of that age groups is that parents really don't instruct children any longer about much of anything.

So, I have to ask, if a caretaker was not a Christian, would you still feel the same about the classes? There are sooooo many perverts in the world today, what about thoae that have perverts for caretakers?

This is really a complicated situation. I have a cousin who became a caretaker for someone in a bit worse shape than the person you are describing here, and when she died from cancer, it seems that no one had any control over who took up the care for the young lady........ it's a scarry thing when you think about it for I know from experience that you can't trust most if any department of health & human services people in any state.

I can see what you're saying and I would agree for instances of christian caretakers....... but I have a problem concerning everyone......

I am the only parent at my daughter's school that has withdrawn their child from sex education lessons so one assumes that other parents have no problem with their learning disabled children receiving sex education.

There was a recent case reported in the UK newspapers concerning a 48 yr old learning disabled man who was living in a council provided, assisted living home. He had embarked on a homosexual relationship with one of his housemates. The judge ruled that he must be stopped from engaging in this sexual relationship as he judged that he lacked the ability to understand the health risks and lacked the capacity to give informed consent. The judge went on to rule that he should receive sex education in the hope that he would gain the capacity to give informed consent to sexual relations.

What I take from this report is that the mentally retarded are extremely vulnerable to being drawn into same-sex relationships especially when they live in same sex council provided homes; and because society in general, and the law in particular, view all sexual relationships (homo or hetero) as equally valid, staff are powerless to prevent such a relationship from developing for fear of being found guilty of sex discrimination or disability discrimination. Only once it has occurred, and if staff feel the relationship is abusive or exploitative, are they able to turn to the courts for a ruling - as in the case mentioned above. But even the judge believes that it is sex education that will protect the man (give him the capacity to make informed decisions) even though he is 48 yrs old and unlikely, in my experience, to develop a mental capacity at that age when he has not achieved it in his previous years of life. And the judge also ruled in favour of sex education against the man's psychiatrist's advice who felt that sex education would only confuse the man.

And that's what I feel about my daughter. I know her so well that I understand where her mental capacity begins and ends. I know that she struggles with abstract concepts, that she is unable to process information and apply it to any given situation - her thought processes are very linear and she has no ability to rationalise or compute the consequences of actions. And I know that sex education would simply confuse her as it is outside her experiential realm and thus could only be presented as an abstract concept. As hard as it is, I sincerely believe that children such as my daughter are better served by remaining celibate. If they are deemed of insufficient mental capacity to enter marriage then they are, in my opinion, not of sufficient mental capacity to engage in sexual relations outside of marriage.

I think that what is being demonstrated in the above court case is a predicament that has arisen because society has rejected marriage as the sanctified union for sexual relationships and has legalised and given its collective blessing to all and any type of sexual relationship outside marriage. The courts can no longer rely on the protection against exploitative sexual relationships that marriage once offered to those "not of sound mind", so turn instead to sex education as the panacea, regardless of the fact that these people are educationally subnormal and thus are incapable of receiving the very education that is supposed to protect them from sexual abuse.

In short, society has painted itself into a corner through choosing to disobey God's rules concerning marriage and sexual relations. And I cannot see a way out apart from a return to God and His rules which were given for our individual and collective benefit. If or until that happens, the mentally retarded will remain extremely exposed and vulnerable to sexual abuse and exploitation.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

As SavedbyGrace1981 mentioned, a support group would be wonderful. Perhaps if you are unable to locate an existing group, you could start one for others who the Omniscient God has found worthy of this struggle. Yes, I believe you have been chosen by the Lord to walk this significant journey. Of course our paths are mapped out for each of us by the Lord, but not just anyone could walk the steps you do, and with the grace that you seem to display. I would say that you are blessed and tried. :emot-hug:

Sadly, I have not yet found anyone locally, with a similarly disabled child, who agrees with my stance, so at the moment a support group is not feasible. Even some Christians seem to think that sex education is the best way to protect the mentally retarded from sexual exploitation. Very few are able or willing to understand that sex belongs within marriage (regardless of what present day society would have us believe) and therefore if marriage is denied to those of unsound mind, so also is sex. They start talking about human rights and sexual urges etc etc.

Unfortunately, we are up against a widely held belief that if only all children were given enough sex education early enough, teenage pregnancies and other ills associated with promiscuous sex would all be cured, and this despite the fact that the evidence points in the other direction; i.e. that early years sex education actually awakens sexual desires prematurely and increases teenage preegnancies. Abstinence is totally derided and disregarded as being repressive and inappropriate. Sex is considered to be a recreational ativity instead of the procreational activity that God designed it to be, and so long as this attitude prevails, sex education will continue to be viewed by most as the panacea to all ills associated with promiscuous sex/fornication.

I count it a great joy that the Lord has tried my faith through my daughter's disability and that it has worked in me patience and perseverance. Not only has my faith endured, it has also increased as in my weakness I learn to lean more and more on my Lord Jesus and His infallible Word and His indwelling Holy Spirit.

Our daughter has been a great blessing to our family and has taught us how to remain always thoughtful and responsive to the weak. Without this lesson I am sure I would have been much more inclined to dismiss the truly needy and concentrate on fulfilling my own much lesser needs and desires.