IGNORED

Is Acquiring The Holy Spirit equivalent to being Born Again?

oak

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

I realize I asked a difficult question and there were answers that I received that I will always treasure. I know quite a few people would say, read the testimonials. But for me I was interested in how you

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

First of all I have confessed Jesus Christ as my personal Savior who died for my sins on the cross and was resurrected on the third day. I met many people who have confessed Christ. But here is where I start wondering. Some Christians in my opinion don

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  232

This may be completely off, but I think the whole concept of being "Born Again" is very misunderstood. Jesus was giving Nicodemus an example of spiritual birth as opposed to physical birth, and I am not convinced that it was ever intended to be an entire doctrine of its own.

But, to answer what I believe is the question at hand, the Holy Spirit is given the moment that someone turns from their wickedness and confesses that Jesus Christ is Lord. But just as we go through a growing process from physical birth until death, so too we go through a spiritual growth process, and honestly I believe that is the point that Jesus was making. It was more a description than a doctrine.

I believe that there is one new birth John 3:3, with two parts, water and Spirit John 3:5. In order to be born again you have to be born of water and the Spirit (John 3:5) You have to believe and be baptized (Mark 16:16) to be saved.

I completely agree with this. And then we will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:38.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  289
  • Birthday:  12/04/1963

And A Little About Me And The Big Book Of Jesus Is Found

Here

Been there. Read that!!!

BE BLESSED, BELOVED.

* The Angel of Jehovah camps round about those who fear Him, and delivers them. Taste and see that Jehovah is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him. O fear Jehovah, His holy ones; for there is nothing lacking to those who fear Him. (Psa 34:7-9)

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  287
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/07/1967

Christian terminology can be a point of doctrinal friction. Terms like Spirit filled seem to indicate an obvious characteristic which establishes the level of a person's faith. But I think it is not for us to try and measure a person's Christian condition or attitude in the heart. Becoming a Christian is about establishing God as God of all and accepting that Christ (Son of God) has become the door through which we can receive salvation and grace.

Upon salvation we are given a new heart and a new Spirit. I believe this is the Holy Spirit that dwells in us. So in my understanding salvation and having the Holy Spirit are synonymous. Whether or not we manifest this indwelling is a separate issue.

Born again, corresponds to salvation as well.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

oak,

Acquiring the Holy Spirit is equivalent to being born again.

How will one know that they have the Holy Sprit ? They will speak in tongues.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

oak,

:emot-questioned: I know the word says that this is evidence, but this is not the only evidence, nor is it required evidence.

Agreed. Tongues is a gift from the Holy Spirit yes. But it is most definitely not a requirement of having the Holy Spirit within. To have the Holy Spirit within, all we need do is to do what Jesus commands of us "Love Me and Obey Me".

Do that and the Holy Spirit is evident in any beleiver....

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Nope, and later, if someone does not beat me to it, I will discuss it with you, but I have to leave for a few hours..

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

oak,

:emot-questioned: I know the word says that this is evidence, but this is not the only evidence, nor is it required evidence.

Agreed. Tongues is a gift from the Holy Spirit yes. But it is most definitely not a requirement of having the Holy Spirit within. To have the Holy Spirit within, all we need do is to do what Jesus commands of us "Love Me and Obey Me".

Do that and the Holy Spirit is evident in any beleiver....

Actually it is the initial evidence for receiving the Holy Ghost. There are two functions of tongues, the initial sign of receiving the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:4, Acts 10:46, Acts 19:6) and there is the gift of speaking in tongues (1Corinthians 12:10, 1Corinthians 14.) Just like you have to have initial faith to come to God, but there is also the gift of faith (1Corinthians 12:9.) The gift of tongues is for the edifying of ones self (1Corinthains 14:4), but tongues as the initial evidence is the Spirit and our spirit crying "Father" (Romans 8:15; Galatians 4:6) so the Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God (Romans 8:16.) So then everyone that is born of the Spirit you will "hear the sound thereof" (John 3:8) Speaking in tongues as the initial evidence is a symbol of Gods complete control over us (James 3:3) taking control of the member that no man can tame (James 3:8) Speaking in tongues is the Spirit binding the strong man of this house we call our body so that he can enter (Matthew 12:29)

If it were true that speaking in tongues if evidence of the indwelling of the Spirit then theres not a whole lot of people who have that. The 'tongues' spoken in Acts when the Spirit flowed over them were actual languages such as Greek, notice it says in Acts 2 that men from every nation were there and heard in their native tongue. These men were not just there in Jerusalem as an everyday occurance they were there 'as devout me from every nation under heaven', they were there because they had come for the Passover. The pouring out of the Holy Spirit was fulfilling the prophecy that God would do such a thing in the latter days. There is no litmus test for having the indwelling of the Spirit except by the fruit they produces.

shalom,

Mizz

• Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I am late but wanted to comment;

1 Cor. 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

1 Cor. 6:11 11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I first became God conscious as a child and made my profession for Christ at that time, as a result of the sermon I heard that day. The Pastor asked if I knew what I was doing, and being shy I just nodded in the affirmative. Nothing changed as a result of my profession and I soon pretty much forgot about it. It was several years later that I became active in learning about God and His Son, Jesus Christ, and still more years before I began to understand what the Bible was really all about. I am still in my journey to learn, not only the written Word, but learning to be more Christ like.

I can remember thinking about something at one time, and God immediately gave me the answer. It startled me that He was hearing my thoughts, because I had not put that thought into words. This led me to believe that He really cares for us and wants to encourage us to know Him.

My journey into mature faith took 40 years to come to fruition. At the age of 48 I finally had a faith knowledge of Him and not just an empirical knowledge. I am continually amazed that He was so patient with me, and I am grateful that is the case.

Jeremiah 17:9

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

If we invite Christ into our wicked heart in an attempt at salvation, I do not think He wants to venture into that heart of filth. Additionally, in my opinion, inviting him into our heart is works.

Romans 10:17

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ultimately this is how I came to be saved, by hearing the Word and making an active decision to take Him at His Word. I am amazed that it took me 40 years to gain faith to do what it takes others just a second to do, yet He was still there ready to receive me.

The verses at the beginning of my post indicate that upon accepting Jesus as the uniquely born Son of God, who ransomed me on the cross, I am sanctified.

As for showing our Christianity, Christ had some definite ideas on the subject;

1.Matthew 5:43

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

2.Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

3.Matthew 5:46

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

John 15:9

As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

Romans 13:8

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Romans 13:9

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:10

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

As I see it, baptism of an infant does not fulfill the requirement to indicate that he accepts Christ as His savior, because at that age he has no knowledge of Christ.

Bless you for trying to understand what God expects of you. I pray that He gives you clarification and faith to find your answers and satisfy your soul.