• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Incorrect.

Paul is talking about love. "That which is perfect" is about love.

Knowledge is listed with prophecies and tongues, not separate.

You need to maintain the context.

He says that that which is perfect has not yet come at that time. Are you saying that Paul is saying love hadn't yet come at that time? How does that make sense? The greatest display of love in history had already come--Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. He is not talking about love. He talks about love in the PRESENT "Love is kind, love suffers long... etc." Meanwhile he says that that which is perfect has yet to come, and that it will replace that which was in part, which was prophecy and knowledge. You are very greatly misinterpreting that verse.

When that Which is Perfect comes...

1 John 3:1 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. 2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

1 Corinthians 15:51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

That which is perfect is refering to Jesus coming. All spiritual gifts are used for edification, when we are caught up with Him, there will be no need for edification through gifts. We will be with Him and share in His fullness. We will be perfect in Him, given incouptable bodies.

There still are all thie gifts in operation today, and it is such an amazing blessing to see the Lord move in these ways. I am always humbled and in awe at the work of the Lord. I have been so blessed to see His hand move in power again and again. Press into His Spirit, seek Him, get intimate with Him, He will lead you and guide you. He wants you to walk in His presence, in His love and in His power. Surrender to the Holy Spirit.

If you want to know if the Lord is still moving in the same ways as He did ask Him, and seek it out.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

He says that that which is perfect has not yet come at that time. Are you saying that Paul is saying love hadn't yet come at that time? How does that make sense? The greatest display of love in history had already come--Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. He is not talking about love. He talks about love in the PRESENT "Love is kind, love suffers long... etc." Meanwhile he says that that which is perfect has yet to come, and that it will replace that which was in part, which was prophecy and knowledge. You are very greatly misinterpreting that verse.

I believe you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

Are you perfected in love in your actions? Do you love as Jesus loves? Have you completely ceased doing unloving things?

What Paul says here ties into what he said earlier:

1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge ; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Paul is repeating himself, but from a different angle:

8 Love never fails ; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away ; if there are tongues, they will cease ; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part ; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

Paul says that knowledge will be done away; he isn't exalting it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

God performs miracles today and it is His will to heal our sickness. Religion (satan’s deception) and our natural minds keep us from believing in healings God has appropriated for us through His word. God’s name is Jehovah Rapha! Throughout the bible there are scriptures about how God healed and there’s power in the spoken word of GOD. The devil will fight your prayers just as he did Daniel in Daniel 10, the problem is when we say “it must not be God’s will” we doubt or give up on believing and the devil wins. Most of us give up on God because we use our timetable and not His.

Proverbs 4:20-22 says, My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life to those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

God’s Word is His medicine.

Psalm 107:20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

Proverbs 4:22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

Psalm 30:2 O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.

Mark 11:24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.

Psalm 103:2-3 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases.

Psalm 107:20 He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

Proverbs 4:20-22 – 20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. 21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. 22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

Isaiah 53:5 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Matthew 8:16-17 When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.

James 5:15-16 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

I Peter 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

III John 2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Acts 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

There is power in the tongue that confesses God’s word because faith comes by hearing.

Proverbs 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.

(wisdom comes from God's word)

Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

If all else fails try to confess God’s word on healing every day.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  366
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

If that is so, why is Luke referred to as a physician rather than as a miracle worker?

Colossians 4:

14 Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you.

And where are the accounts in history after 300AD (or when the Bible was put together) of Christians performing miracles of healing?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If that is so, why is Luke referred to as a physician rather than as a miracle worker?

Colossians 4:

14 Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you.

And where are the accounts in history after 300AD (or when the Bible was put together) of Christians performing miracles of healing?

Christians don't perform miracles God does. And how many in my life do you want?

And what makes you think Luke could not perform miracles because he was a physician?

You just need to know where to look.

Here, read this: Miracles Throughout History

Snippets:

"Even Augustine of Hippo (a.D. 354- 430), who had originally adopted the view that miracles had ceased with the apostolic age, changed his opinion during the last two or three years of his life. This change of viewpoint was precipitated by a revival in North Africa, where Augustine lived. Suddenly, miracles seemed to proliferate.... Some of the material that Augustine collected appears in the last book (Book 22) of his work, City of God, the eighth chapter of which contains a very lengthy description of miracles which he had either witnessed himself, or about which he had heard from those whom he considered to be reliable witnesses."

"One of the greatest early works of church history is the Venerable Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People, written in A.D. 731. This is a valuable source, known for its separation of historical fact from hearsay and tradition.3 Bede was a very careful scholar, and did his utmost to find reliable source material for his work, often sending emissaries to various places like Rome to gather important source materials. Throughout Bede's work there are accounts of miracles. In fact, the entire work is so saturated with accounts of miracles that if one were to discount them, one would have to discount the entire work, which would be impossible, since the events it describes are woven so unmistakably into the tapestry of history."

"Miraculous phenomena were also associated with Bernard of Clairvaux (A.D. 1090-1153), Hildegard of Bingen (A.D. 1098-1179), Dominic (A.D. 1170-1221), Francis of Assisi (A.D. 1182-1226), Anthony of Padua (A.D. 1195-1231), Clare of Montefalco (d. 1308), Bridget of Sweden (A.D. 1303-1373), Vincent Ferrer (A.D. 1350- 1419), Martin Luther (A.D. 1483-1546), the "French Prophets" (A.D. 1685-1710), and many others. Miracles were observed during the Great Awakening, the Second Great Awakening, and the revival of 1857-59, and have usually taken place during periods of revival throughout church history."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,358
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

You just need to know where to look.

Here, read this: Miracles Throughout History

Snippets:

"Even Augustine of Hippo (a.D. 354- 430), who had originally adopted the view that miracles had ceased with the apostolic age, changed his opinion during the last two or three years of his life. This change of viewpoint was precipitated by a revival in North Africa, where Augustine lived. Suddenly, miracles seemed to proliferate.... Some of the material that Augustine collected appears in the last book (Book 22) of his work, City of God, the eighth chapter of which contains a very lengthy description of miracles which he had either witnessed himself, or about which he had heard from those whom he considered to be reliable witnesses."

"One of the greatest early works of church history is the Venerable Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People, written in A.D. 731. This is a valuable source, known for its separation of historical fact from hearsay and tradition.3 Bede was a very careful scholar, and did his utmost to find reliable source material for his work, often sending emissaries to various places like Rome to gather important source materials. Throughout Bede's work there are accounts of miracles. In fact, the entire work is so saturated with accounts of miracles that if one were to discount them, one would have to discount the entire work, which would be impossible, since the events it describes are woven so unmistakably into the tapestry of history."

"Miraculous phenomena were also associated with Bernard of Clairvaux (A.D. 1090-1153), Hildegard of Bingen (A.D. 1098-1179), Dominic (A.D. 1170-1221), Francis of Assisi (A.D. 1182-1226), Anthony of Padua (A.D. 1195-1231), Clare of Montefalco (d. 1308), Bridget of Sweden (A.D. 1303-1373), Vincent Ferrer (A.D. 1350- 1419), Martin Luther (A.D. 1483-1546), the "French Prophets" (A.D. 1685-1710), and many others. Miracles were observed during the Great Awakening, the Second Great Awakening, and the revival of 1857-59, and have usually taken place during periods of revival throughout church history."

My two cents worth... if after I am done you want to give it back it will be ok :) ...

Luke 16:30-31

30 And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.' 31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.'"

NKJV

the purpose of miracles is grace upon the one who asks in faith... Our Fathers Good Pleasure! So if we receive as we ask or do not ->we are thankful for we know He hears us, and always answers for good even though sometimes it is not seen with our abilities.... Love Steven

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

I have a great friend, 67 years old. She is a godly woman. I count on her for support and prayers . 5 years ago she was diagnosed with kidney disease. She is not a candidate for transplant. Today she has 15% of her kidney funtions, what qualifies her for the diagnose of end stage renal disease . Since she absolutely refuses dialysis she was put in hospice services. Let me tell you, it has been very difficult for me to respect her decision. Her argument is that if God wants her to live he will heal her kidneys if not it is because her time has come. I think that she believes that God will cure her. I don't want to go into questioning her decision, she is surrounded by bible based christian people and I know that they have discussed it with her . Some how I don't believe that today our God do miracles. I would love to change my thinking. What do you think?

Lori

Oh YES! I firmly believe that God performs miracles in small ways as well as huge ones...I feel that because of my "testimony" in my early life and the fact that I was able to walk away from a lifestyle that most couldn't and can't , I believe that God makes us his miracles everyday...

• Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I just found this and thought it an interesting take on the subject.

http://letusreason.org/Biblexp107.htm

I just found this and thought it an interesting take on the subject.

http://letusreason.org/Biblexp107.htm

I don't know. People were healed by Peter's shadow and Paul's sweaty handkerchiefs. That's different from what is recorded of Jesus.

I have heard testimonies of food being multiplied and people walking on water.

We need to be careful about limiting God.