• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't see what is so hard about accepting that tongues spoken today are still earthly languages. :noidea:

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I can see that this is one of those threads that go on for pages and everyone will still feel the same. I have said my piece and wish everyone a good thread.

God bless Katy :emot-handshake:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

speaking in tongues is not a requirement for salvation or a test of whether you are saved or not. I speak in tongues on a regular basis, but it is in my private prayer times, I sing in the Spirit too. Actually, I sang in Spirit first, at church, during a really intense worship service after the preaching.

I have been led to pray for people I don't know, nor their situation. When this happens, I will pray in the Spirit because I don't know what the need is but God does.

I believe that the Spirit prays through us. Romans 8:26,27 ~Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And He that searches the hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

personal speaking in tongues edifies us:

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, PRAYING IN THE HOLY GHOST, ~ Jude 20

He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself, 1 Corinthians 13: 4a

In regard to unknown tounges edifying ourself, the next part of scripture tells us that he who prophesies edifies the church. What is being implied is that speaking in unknown tongues make us "look good" we should be doing what is good for the church.

Scripture also tells us when speaking in tongues there should be an interpreter. Is this part of scripture being followed by those who say they speak in tongues.

Also, can someone please provide scripture for praying and singing in tongues?

Yes the second part of 1 Cor 13 is about edifying the church but nothing about the first part is about making ourself "look good".

Paul is admonishing the saints to seek after the gifts that edify the church 1 Corinthians 14 12) but is not saying you shouldn't speak with tongues.

The main theme of 1 Corinthians 14 is order in the edifying of the church. (verses 26-40) Verses 27,28 tell us that if there is no interpreter to keep silent (not speak out in tongues) in the church, BUT speak to himself & to God

Nebula provided great scripture in her post.

I don't see what is so hard about accepting that tongues spoken today are still earthly languages. :noidea:

Where did you ever say that todays tongues are earthly languages. You are being a bit disingenious here, aren't you? At least debate honestly.

BTW, I never said today's tongues weren't earthly languages. Don't twist what I say or presume what I mean.

I said that biblical tongues are earthly languages. If today's tongues are biblical then they have to be earthly languages. Are they?

Maybe & maybe not---Paul talks about speaking the tongues( language) of angels also. 1 Corinthians 13: 1a ~Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels......

I didn't believe tongues was for us today for several of my first years as a believer & was actually quite shocked to find myself singing in them at that church service. But I know they are now & make plenty of use of them in prayer.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My option is not available.

I beleive the diverse tongues spoken of in scripture were diverse earthly languages. Paul spoke in diverse tongues so he could preach to diverse peoples. The babbling of today has no basis in scripture.

Out loud in church I would tend to agre. However Paul prayed in a language that he did not understand, and I am among several other people who do the same.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My option is not available.

I beleive the diverse tongues spoken of in scripture were diverse earthly languages. Paul spoke in diverse tongues so he could preach to diverse peoples. The babbling of today has no basis in scripture.

During that time when the Apostles spoke, people heard them in their native language. So they spoke and people heard in different languages....... so where's the miracle thing happening...... in the tongue of the speaker, or the ears of the diverse listeners???

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

The babbling of today...

Why is there an insistence to claim that what happens today is babbling?

I meant no offense. But, it sounds like babbling to me.

Well, when you hear a foreign language you have never heard before, does it sound any less gibberish?

I don't see your point.

When I hear a foreign language with sounds I do not recognize, it sounds like gibberish - or babbling (I am thinking of the terms synonymously).

Does it not sound like babbling to you?

Of course, but so what. That has nothing to do with anything.

Biblical toungues were earthly languages. The Book of Acts spells this out perfectly.

Acts 2

5And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

6Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

7And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Is it possible the multitude who received the Holy Ghost was given the ability to interpret the tongues. Twelve apostles speaking every language of (every nation under heaven. v5)? How many languages were there?

Acts 2

13 Others mocking said, “They are full of new wine.” It seems odd that these guys did not recognize one single language that was spoken.

I believe these folks did not receive the Holy Spirit and thought they were babbling.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Where did you ever say that todays tongues are earthly languages. You are being a bit disingenious here, aren't you? At least debate honestly.

BTW, I never said today's tongues weren't earthly languages. Don't twist what I say or presume what I mean.

I said that biblical tongues are earthly languages. If today's tongues are biblical then they have to be earthly languages. Are they?

faint.gif Communication breakdown

When you stated, "I beleive the diverse tongues spoken of in scripture were diverse earthly languages. Paul spoke in diverse tongues so he could preach to diverse peoples. The babbling of today has no basis in scripture."

I took this to mean you considered today's tongues to not be earthly languages. By the responses of some others, it would seem I am not the only one that took you to mean this.

If my understanding of what you implied is incorrect, please clarify how "the babbling of today" is an earthly language, but not Biblical?

The response I gave was challenging the notion that today's tongues are babbling rather than languages - by stating that unknown foreign languages sound no less like babbling than hearing someone speak in tongues (not the exact words, but what I was trying to get at).

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I never spoke in tongues, nor did I ever hear anybody speak in tongues. If I ever hear somebody speak in tongues, my first thought is going to be "are you for real".

So here is my question to those that have experienced tongues. If I hear somebody speaking in tongues, how do I know it is the real deal or somebody just showboating? I'm sure somewhere on my walk with Christ, I'm going to hear someone speaking tongues, I just know it.