• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Uh, yes, doctrine is essential.

The doctrine of salvation

The doctrine of grace

The doctrine of the trinity

Without these, there is no purpose to believing in Christ.

Doctrines are not essential. For instance I do not to have to have perfect flawless doctrine to know God and be loved of God.

9 Any one who goes ahead and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God; he who abides in the doctrine has both the Father and the Son. 10 If any one comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into the house or give him any greeting; 11 for he who greets him shares his wicked work. 2 John 1:8-11 :rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Here is some good doctrine:

Matthew 16:24-25

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.

Mark 8:34

Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Luke 9:23-24

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.

:rolleyes:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  764
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

What is the cross? It is doing all things Jesus did, and greater in quantity because their are more of us. Total submission to God's will, total resistance of sin to the sweating of blood, total obedience. What is our motive to encourage us? Love as He loves us? Where do we get the power? From The Holy Spirit. How do we get that kind of love? Spending all our time with Him. Practicing His presence with us at all times.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

Uh, yes, doctrine is essential.

The doctrine of salvation

The doctrine of grace

The doctrine of the trinity

Without these, there is no purpose to believing in Christ.

Doctrines are not essential. For instance I do not to have to have perfect flawless doctrine to know God and be loved of God.

9 Any one who goes ahead and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God; he who abides in the doctrine has both the Father and the Son. 10 If any one comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into the house or give him any greeting; 11 for he who greets him shares his wicked work. 2 John 1:8-11 :)

I did not say that doctrine is not important but what I said is that doctrine is not essential for salvation.

Did you know all the doctrines that are taught in the bible the day you were saved. If you were anything like me, I did not know anything about God and what I did know was was misconceived. All I knew was that I was lost and I needed a savior. I did not know anything about the Holy Spirit, Virgin birth, Trinity, Faith, Eschatology, Theology, or anything else; all I knew was that God did something in my life and I was just living in the moment.

Doctrine at the time was not important to me. God was important me and being forgiven for all my horrible sins.

Ill still stand on the fact that doctrine is not essential; its something that we learn as we grow in Christ and as he reveals himself to us by his Spirit. True doctrine can not be learned from man but is revealed by God.

For instants Jesus asked his disciples "Who do you say that I am" Peter spoke up and said "You are the Son of the living God" and Jesus said :

Mat 16:17 KJV ... Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

God Bless,

Guest shiloh357
I did not say that doctrine is not important but what I said is that doctrine is not essential for salvation.

It is not essential for salvation, that is true. It IS essential for Christian living.

We live in a generation that is devaluing proper doctrine, and understanding of theology.

As a result, 80-90% of all converts to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Morman's are directly out of mainline denominations. Not to mention the Christians who are getting caught up in the World Wide Church Of God cult, as well.

The most sucessful cults in the world are the ones who use the Bible. Mormans, the Masonic Lodge, JWs, Word of Faith, all get their members from Church attending Christians from the Lutherans, Presbyterians, Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists, etc.

Teaching/possessing sound biblically based doctrine is vital not only to perserving Christians from entering into the aforementioned cults, but to also reaching those already involved in those cults and bringing back to the Christian Faith.

We see first hand what is happening in the Church when proper doctrine is either ignored or is just not known. Look at the denominations that are allowing homosexuals to be ordained a ministers, and are actually sanctioning homosexual marriages.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Hey Shiloh, Kinda puts me in mind of the verse which says we all are like sheep, gone astray, each one turned to our own ways.

Replying to Doctrine. Is it important?

1Ti 1:10

for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine,

2Ti 4:3

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers;

Tit 1:9

holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

Tit 2:1

But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine:

YEA.

In CHRIST JESUS :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

What kind of statement is this? (doctrine) "Not nearly as important as repenting and loving Jesus and striving to be unified with other believers."

This is contridiction. According to John the 1st chapter Jesus is the word. God and his word are one in the same. Teaching the word of God is what develops enough faith to come to Christ with the leading of the Holy Spirit.

I guess for unity sake we should lay down our differences and doctrines with Mormans and JWs and welcome them in our houses when they come by.

No way. Paul said if someone comes and teaches another gospel other than the one you received, let them be cursed.

The Word of God is Christ.

In his love,

Brian :)

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Maybe in my last post I shouldn't have been to quick. Maybe we're all not understanding each other.

Col 2:6So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

8See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.

Col 2:20Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21"Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Col 3:1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is your[1] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.

Col 3:16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

1 Cor 15:1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[1] : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

True doctrine and Christ are the same.........human doctrine can't save. The only reason we know about Christ is through teaching/doctrine of God's word.

In his love,

Brian

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  1

It is not essential for salvation, that is true. It IS essential for Christian living.

...but most church doctrines do not even refer to Godly living. They use it as Church Dogma that separates and divides them from other believers.

There are thousands of different Protestant denominations yet none of them agree on doctrine. They have used doctrine to as a weapon to divided. They take doctrines of little importance and build mass denominations on it.

Jesus said he was going to build his Church on one simple Doctrine: That he is the Son of the Living God.

Yet People have Churches built on doctrines of Baptism, Pre-destination, Legalism, Formalism, Gifts, Eschatology, Trintiy, Racism, Culture, Communion, Tradition, etc...

The truth is we have used doctrine as weapon to hurt and divide others. Church doctrine has done more harm then good. What should be important is our faith and belief in the Son of the Living God. It is by this that we have fellowship with one another. Our faith should not be in words of mans teaching but in the saving power of God.

God bless,