• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/18/1957

Something is terribly wrong with Safari ...

I keep getting a error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

"Safari can't open the page "http://www.apple.com/startpage/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.apple.com".

Doesn't matter which webpage I try to access, Safari doesn't work anymore.

I've tried deleting the Cache, Cookies, plist.

I just deleted Safari altogether and all Safari files that I could find, emptied the Trash, then downloaded the most recent version of Safari from Apple, and installed.

Still have exactly the same problem.

Several days ago, I Reset Safari, which fixed the problem for a couple days. I've tried to Reset Safari many times today, but still have the same problem ....

Is this an issue with Snow Leopard 6.8? Any ideas how to fix this issue ... ???

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

I'm not a comp. tech but perhaps your operating system has updates that need to be installed that will allow that browser to operate on your puter. If so, update your operating system or windows first and then try to reinstall the browser you want to use. I don't know if that is the answer, hopefully it is. I know on my puter that a lot of programs run a lot smoother when I keep the operating system or windows updated and installed as well as getting the update for the browser.

Also double check to see that your installing the correct version for your operating system. Safari is mac's op systems default browser but there is also a safari version for ms windows. I hope this is helpful.

First thing you need to do is find out where the problem is, because it might not be with Safari itself. There may be another issue somewhere else. If you are able to get on line, download and install a different web browser, like Opera, or Firefox. (Or use another computer and load it on a USB stick if the Mac won't go online at all.) If that works okay, then the problem really is with Safari itself and its probably time for tech support. If the other browser does the same thing -- then you'll need to look at your router, home network, or internet provider for the problem. Keep in mind if you are on or near the east coast that Irene may have messed up some infrastructure and some site might not be available until things are sorted out.

Hope this helps. :)

First thing you need to do is find out where the problem is, because it might not be with Safari itself. There may be another issue somewhere else. If you are able to get on line, download and install a different web browser, like Opera, or Firefox. (Or use another computer and load it on a USB stick if the Mac won't go online at all.) If that works okay, then the problem really is with Safari itself and its probably time for tech support. If the other browser does the same thing -- then you'll need to look at your router, home network, or internet provider for the problem. Keep in mind if you are on or near the east coast that Irene may have messed up some infrastructure and some site might not be available until things are sorted out.

Hope this helps. :)

Very strange ... I opened up an e-mail message in Mail, then clicked on one of the links in the message, and Safari open right up with no problems!

Safari has been working ever since, for several days now. There was one issue with a webpage I frequent everyday many times, got the same error message, but a few hours later, that webpage opened up, and is still working.

I don't use Proxies. We have seven devices that get on the Internet daily, not counting the X-Box, so I don't think there are any problems with our Internet connection, the Modem or Router.

I've tried several other browsers and they are working just fine (Firefox and Google Chrome).

I'm wondering if perhaps there is a bug in Safari (as other people have suggested) .....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Did you download Lion? Or do you need to upgrade some of your programmes? There have been a lot of upgrades lately if you use a MAC. The current version of Safari is 5.1. Is that what you are using?

Just when I though that Safari was working ok, it is now doing exactly the same thing as before ....

I've tried deleting the plist many times, resetting

Safari many times, clicking on links in my e-mail messages and other

active links, which open Safari, but it still will not work. Restarted my computer, but that also did not help.

Looks like the newest version of Safari has some very serious bugs ....

Hopefully the developers will fix this bug soon ....

Edited by vja4Him

Did you download Lion? Or do you need to upgrade some of your programmes? There have been a lot of upgrades lately if you use a MAC. The current version of Safari is 5.1. Is that what you are using?

I don't want to upgrade to Lion on my internal HD. I will buy an external HD and install Lion on that. I have lots of older software and files that I'm need to access, and I'm concerned that Lion will not be compatible ....

I'm am currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. The only version of Safari that will run with 10.6.8 is Safari 5.1, so I'm stuck. I already tried deleting Safari and installing an older version, but they are all System Specific ....

One other note:

All day yesterday up until late last night, Safari was working just fine. I shut my computer down last night, then when I booted up this morning, Safari would not work.

Could this somehow cause Safari to not work ... ???

Maybe Safari will mysteriously start working again ......

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Something is terribly wrong with Safari ...

I keep getting a error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

"Safari can't open the page "http://www.apple.com/startpage/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.apple.com".

Doesn't matter which webpage I try to access, Safari doesn't work anymore.

I've tried deleting the Cache, Cookies, plist.

I just deleted Safari altogether and all Safari files that I could find, emptied the Trash, then downloaded the most recent version of Safari from Apple, and installed.

Still have exactly the same problem.

Several days ago, I Reset Safari, which fixed the problem for a couple days. I've tried to Reset Safari many times today, but still have the same problem ....

Is this an issue with Snow Leopard 6.8? Any ideas how to fix this issue ... ???

My wife has a couple of 'fixes' that work.

Her simplest and the one she uses currently, is to simply turn off AirPort before she shuts down. When she restarts, she turns AirPort back on, and answers 'yes' to the two prompts about internet access. She hasn't had a prblem since doing that.