• i have no idea

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

1- I think the physical universe is likely millions-trillions of years old.

2- I think about 6000 yrs ago God brought life on earth back into existence after something had destroyed it (God's wrath, angel wars, rebellion, another species' sin...)

3- I think after Jesus' return, the destruction of all that is sinful, and the restoring of the earth 'again', He will continue to create new forms of life; possibly something different from humans or angels. I believe this due to God's love being so vast, His ability being limitless, and a universe He made that will hold an innumerable host. Maybe he'll create another race of beings and a fraction of them will 'choose' life just as 2/3 of the angels did and a much smaller percentage of mankind did. I also hold this opinion due to the many references in the Word of the children of God someday ruling/reigning over peoples, our being kings etc... I'm just guessing that we'll be given much more responsibilities once we've been tried-by-fire and God has perfected us. And FYI, this can easily be totally wrong and just conjecture/theorizing in my mind. Makes no difference to me. I'm trusting in His wisdom to do what is best for us all.

4- I put very little stock in certain scientific measurements. You'll note the massive variations in most universal dating. A lot of it is mere guessing based on our very limited understanding of the universe. If you have nothing to use as a 100% accurate reference point in dating, it's only guessing to label numbers to specific events. You can often identify that DD happened after AA, and GG happened after DD, so GG was clearly after AA, but most all of it is relative relationships. There's really not much science can give you an actual date about. You can bring in red-shifts, background radiation, etc etc... at the end of the day it is all still relative and filled with guessing without an accurate reference point from which to measure. None of it matters to me though.

my two-cents

I am intrigued by your statement for # 1 & 2. Did you hear,that somewhere or is it your own creative idea? I have heard # 2 by some cults, but where did you get these humorous ideas?

that theory about god repopulating the earth from statement #2 comes from a misunderstanding of the hebrew word replenish from the genesis account of mans creation.

I assume you are aware that #2 is actually taught in some churches. It is known as the gap theory, and was invented in the 1800's as a way to harmonize the 6 days of creation with the 5 billion years of evolution.

yes i'm familiar with the gap theory. benny hinn is one of those preachers that teaches that theory. but i go with scripture first and check it against what someone is teaching

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

1- I think the physical universe is likely millions-trillions of years old.

2- I think about 6000 yrs ago God brought life on earth back into existence after something had destroyed it (God's wrath, angel wars, rebellion, another species' sin...)

3- I think after Jesus' return, the destruction of all that is sinful, and the restoring of the earth 'again', He will continue to create new forms of life; possibly something different from humans or angels. I believe this due to God's love being so vast, His ability being limitless, and a universe He made that will hold an innumerable host. Maybe he'll create another race of beings and a fraction of them will 'choose' life just as 2/3 of the angels did and a much smaller percentage of mankind did. I also hold this opinion due to the many references in the Word of the children of God someday ruling/reigning over peoples, our being kings etc... I'm just guessing that we'll be given much more responsibilities once we've been tried-by-fire and God has perfected us. And FYI, this can easily be totally wrong and just conjecture/theorizing in my mind. Makes no difference to me. I'm trusting in His wisdom to do what is best for us all.

4- I put very little stock in certain scientific measurements. You'll note the massive variations in most universal dating. A lot of it is mere guessing based on our very limited understanding of the universe. If you have nothing to use as a 100% accurate reference point in dating, it's only guessing to label numbers to specific events. You can often identify that DD happened after AA, and GG happened after DD, so GG was clearly after AA, but most all of it is relative relationships. There's really not much science can give you an actual date about. You can bring in red-shifts, background radiation, etc etc... at the end of the day it is all still relative and filled with guessing without an accurate reference point from which to measure. None of it matters to me though.

my two-cents

I am intrigued by your statement for # 1 & 2. Did you hear,that somewhere or is it your own creative idea? I have heard # 2 by some cults, but where did you get these humorous ideas?

that theory about god repopulating the earth from statement #2 comes from a misunderstanding of the hebrew word replenish from the genesis account of mans creation.

I assume you are aware that #2 is actually taught in some churches. It is known as the gap theory, and was invented in the 1800's as a way to harmonize the 6 days of creation with the 5 billion years of evolution.

yes i'm familiar with the gap theory. benny hinn is one of those preachers that teaches that theory. but i go with scripture first and check it against what someone is teaching

Correct me if I am wrong, but I hope you are not suggesting that the gap theory is scriptural. You cannot seriously create a teaching from between the lines of 2 verses. One could then make up any kind of teaching in the world and simply claim it is taught "between the lines". There are no actual scriptures that teach it. Benny Hinn teaching it would definitely give me reason NOT to believe it. His teachings are beyond bizzare. I am not sure he has ever actually read the bible with the strange teachings he tries to pass off. The gap theory was created in the 1800's and is NOT scriptural.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

how old do you think the universe is? is it billions of years old or just a few thousand like most christians believe. please give scriptural and/or scientific reasons why you believe the way you do.

If you consider that God created man and women, plus all the creatures of the world in a "grown up" state. Adam and Eve were not babies but full grown adults when they were made, as were the animals.

So would it not seem reasonable to believe that He also made the Universe in the same manor....allready billions of years old! In a split second!

What scientist call the big bang IS true, but God created the big bang.

So the answer is...the scientist are right! and Christians belief of creation is also right.

Praise and glory to the creator of the Universe!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Sometimes I feel I am old enough to have been there....sigh.

As to the actual age of the earth, I have no idea.

It's not something that I think about much.

I just comfort myself in knowing that God is there before .

If you see what I mean?

.... And I think it is wise not to make faith-based assessments about the age of the universe....

:)

And I Think It Is Wise Not To Make Speculative Assessments About The Power Of Jesus

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it. Exodus 20:8-11

Especially When You Have His Word On It

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Amen to that. :thumbsup:

It took me so many years to understand that all the time God and His word are always true.

All it takes is just to focus on the cross, the other problems disappear.

Jesus died for me that's what counts in my life.

When I stopped looking to prove the bible wrong and applied His word in my life I came to realise how infinitely silly I had been for so many years.

Amen to that Joe and ncn :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

just wanted to say that i dont believe in the gap theory nor do i ascribe to word of faith teachers like binny hinn.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

how old do you think the universe is? is it billions of years old or just a few thousand like most christians believe. please give scriptural and/or scientific reasons why you believe the way you do.

I think that depends several things. First, how much humans understand what "time" actually is. The answer is, no one actually understand what time is, not even Einstein. In the theory of relativity, when two beams of light travel towards each other, the relative speed is still the speed of light. It is said that the speed of light is a constant in this case, while time and space changes in a way that we never understand. In quantum physics, "time" shares a lot of common characteristics with "space", so in multi-spatial calculations "time" is treated as the outer most "space".

The "time" we understand (or assume) is a constant as we experience through, this is because we are bound by our living environment which happens to be a 3D space and only within this environment time behaves as we observed in the past several thousand years. Beyond this scope, it relies on our faith to believe what it was. 14 billions is calculated under the assumption that time in the past was as stable as it is now. On the other hand, Eintein said that time is not a stable physics unit, instead speed is.

In a nutshell, time can behave totally outside our concept to comprehend. What left is the question that under what conditions it behaved "normally" and what conditions it behaved totally out of our concept to comprehend. So whether it is 6000 years or 14 billion years, inevitably we already applied our concept of time with the assumption that it behaves constantly and stably. It's just like saying that dogs are good companion of men, and that's before they bite. :laugh:

Second, we took for granted to think that planet earth is in its current position all the times. Now take a look at Genesis, earth and heavenS (assume multiple spaces) were created in the beginning, but it never says in which heaven the earth was created. How about that earth was created in another space then brought to its current position on Day 4? If so, how will you be able to calculate its age?

Edited by Hawkins

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

just wanted to say that i dont believe in the gap theory nor do i ascribe to word of faith teachers like binny hinn.

AMEN TO THAT :) :) :) Did you know Kenneth Copeland was one of benny Hinn's mentors? They both went to kenneth hagan's school, which has produced a VAST majority of false teachers we see today.