• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

As I was going through my Bible reading, I found reference to the gatekeepers, and noticed they were Levites with a little bit of there job duties. However I was wondering why the position was held in high importance and why it was a job of the Levites, the tribe chosen to serve the Lord in the temple.

I was also wondering if there is a prophetic type and shadow of Christ or the church in the position?

Thanks, just curious.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

As I was going through my Bible reading, I found reference to the gatekeepers, and noticed they were Levites with a little bit of there job duties. However I was wondering why the position was held in high importance and why it was a job of the Levites, the tribe chosen to serve the Lord in the temple.

I was also wondering if there is a prophetic type and shadow of Christ or the church in the position?

Thanks, just curious.

Just off the top of my head, and to get the ball rolling....I believe that the gate-keepers of the Temple were indeed Levites, and that it took quite a few of them to push open and shut the huge doors leading to the Inner Court and Temple, but possibly also the Outer Court....I suspect their duties incorporated other things as well, and that they operated on a rotational basis.

King David mentions that he would rather be a gate-keeper in the House of the L-rd etc....

Jesus identifies Himself with a Gateway/Door, and being the Way the Truth and the Life (which if certain teachings are true, present Him as the the 3 entrances to every area of the Temple complex.)

I don't necessarily think that specific job was highly esteemed....more like the entire duties of the Levites were greatly respected as they were serving on a regular basis at the closest place to the Shekinah, the Presence.

Today if you go to Israel and visit the Western Wall, you will see how Jewish people revere these stones because they are the closest they can get to where the Presence used to be.

I think it made sense for it to be a Levitical undertaking, and incorporate it amongst their many duties...perhaps due to their having to constantly sanctify and consecrate themselves before G-d

and that such a duty did not therefore get profaned by becoming mundane and tended to by careless individuals who might be very blaisé in doing the work. (probably a lesson in this somewhere)

Be interested in seeing what people present, and in the meantime will refer to some things I have read in the past.

Bests regards. Botz

Thanks for the reply Botz!

I think I need to clarify a bit .Here is the passage I read that prompted that question

1 Chronicles 9:17-44

New King James Version (NKJV)

The Levite Gatekeepers

17 And the gatekeepers were Shallum, Akkub, Talmon, Ahiman, and their brethren. Shallum was the chief. 18 Until then they had been gatekeepers for the camps of the children of Levi at the King’s Gate on the east.

19 Shallum the son of Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his brethren, from his father’s house, the Korahites, were in charge of the work of the service, gatekeepers of the tabernacle. Their fathers had been keepers of the entrance to the camp of the LORD. 20 And Phinehas the son of Eleazar had been the officer over them in time past; the LORD was with him. 21 Zechariah the son of Meshelemiah was keeper of the door of the tabernacle of meeting.

22 All those chosen as gatekeepers were two hundred and twelve. They were recorded by their genealogy, in their villages. David and Samuel the seer had appointed them to their trusted office. 23 So they and their children were in charge of the gates of the house of the LORD, the house of the tabernacle, by assignment. 24 The gatekeepers were assigned to the four directions: the east, west, north, and south. 25 And their brethren in their villages had to come with them from time to time for seven days. 26 For in this trusted office were four chief gatekeepers; they were Levites. And they had charge over the chambers and treasuries of the house of God. 27 And they lodged all around the house of God because they had the responsibility, and they were in charge of opening it every morning.

So it looks like they were assigned and it was a Trusted Office... So it was important, but why for?

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I think I need to clarify a bit .Here is the passage I read that prompted that question

The Levite Gatekeepers

17 And the gatekeepers were Shallum, Akkub, Talmon, Ahiman, and their brethren. Shallum was the chief. 18 Until then they had been gatekeepers for the camps of the children of Levi at the King’s Gate on the east.

19 Shallum the son of Kore, the son of Ebiasaph, the son of Korah, and his brethren, from his father’s house, the Korahites, were in charge of the work of the service, gatekeepers of the tabernacle. Their fathers had been keepers of the entrance to the camp of the LORD. 20 And Phinehas the son of Eleazar had been the officer over them in time past; the LORD was with him. 21 Zechariah the son of Meshelemiah was keeper of the door of the tabernacle of meeting.

22 All those chosen as gatekeepers were two hundred and twelve. They were recorded by their genealogy, in their villages. David and Samuel the seer had appointed them to their trusted office. 23 So they and their children were in charge of the gates of the house of the LORD, the house of the tabernacle, by assignment. 24 The gatekeepers were assigned to the four directions: the east, west, north, and south. 25 And their brethren in their villages had to come with them from time to time for seven days. 26 For in this trusted office were four chief gatekeepers; they were Levites. And they had charge over the chambers and treasuries of the house of God. 27 And they lodged all around the house of God because they had the responsibility, and they were in charge of opening it every morning.

So it looks like they were assigned and it was a Trusted Office... So it was important, but why for?

Aha....now I get a better picture...thanks Isaiah will get back to this later.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

The Levite Gatekeepers

Aha....now I get a better picture...thanks Isaiah will get back to this later.

Looks to be an interesting thread. I hadn't noticed the significane of it before.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Since the entire tribe of Levi was taken to become priests assignments had to be made, just like Zecharias was assigned a rotation to light the incense in the temple. There was a whole tribe of Levi's who became the priesthood, each 'elder and sons' were given an assignment that carried down over the generations, thousands of men had to have some job to do. Gate keepers roles were very important, they knew the comings and goings of all that went through the gates. I would think also they are watchmen and just as today many are called to be watchmen over the body of Yeshua. Thats off the top of my head so theres probably more to see here.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

I think it would be good to look at Phineas, since he is specifically addressed as being their "ruler" in times past. He stood righteous among men, against the immorality of his day.

1Ch 9:20 And Phinehas the son of Eleazar was the ruler over them in time past, and the LORD was with him.

I think it would be good to look at Phineas, since he is specifically addressed as being their "ruler" in times past. He stood righteous among men, against the immorality of his day.

1Ch 9:20 And Phinehas the son of Eleazar was the ruler over them in time past, and the LORD was with him.

I shall, thanks...

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Refer to Malachi 1:6-14, most specifically to v.10.

6 “ A son honors his father,

And a servant his master.

If then I am the Father,

Where is My honor?

And if I am a Master,

Where is My reverence?

Says the LORD of hosts

To you priests who despise My name.

Yet you say, ‘In what way have we despised Your name?’

7 “ You offer defiled food on My altar,

But say,

‘ In what way have we defiled You?’

By saying,

‘ The table of the LORD is contemptible.’

8 And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice,

Is it not evil?

And when you offer the lame and sick,

Is it not evil?

Offer it then to your governor!

Would he be pleased with you?

Would he accept you favorably?”

Says the LORD of hosts.

9 “ But now entreat God’s favor,

That He may be gracious to us.

Whilethis is being done by your hands,

Will He accept you favorably?”

Says the LORD of hosts.

10 “ Who is there even among you who would shut the doors,

So that you would not kindle fire on My altar in vain?

I have no pleasure in you,”

Says the LORD of hosts,

“ Nor will I accept an offering from your hands.

11 For from the rising of the sun, even to its going down,

My name shall be great among the Gentiles;

In every place incense shall be offered to My name,

And a pure offering;

For My name shall be great among the nations,”

Says the LORD of hosts.

12 “ But you profane it,

In that you say,

‘ The table of the LORD[a] is defiled;

And its fruit, its food, is contemptible.’

13 You also say,

‘ Oh, what a weariness!’

And you sneer at it,”

Says the LORD of hosts.

“ And you bring the stolen, the lame, and the sick;

Thus you bring an offering!

Should I accept this from your hand?”

Says the LORD.

14 “ But cursed be the deceiver

Who has in his flock a male,

And takes a vow,

But sacrifices to the Lord what is blemished—

For I am a great King,”

Says the LORD of hosts,

“ And My name is to be feared among the nations.

Christ is also a 'gatekeeper' of the house of David as in Isaiah 22:22, Rev 3:7

The Faithful Church

7 “And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,

‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, “He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”:[c] 8 “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it;[d] for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.