• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

Can someone who always says negative things to you cause depression.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Yes...I believe it also can be called verbal abuse.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

When you are told the same thing over and over, you begin to believe it. I suggest writing out a page of scriptures that tell you who you really are, and make sure you read it more often that you receive the other message... that is... overpower their negative message with the truth of the Word. Wield the sword. emot-hug.gif

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Oh yeah, a constantly negative person can cause depression and I think why a person is negative is because they are depressed. A negative person can also affect a group, such as in the work place or at school.

A negative person needs help and prayer, if they refuse help, then maybe it is best to part from them (if possible). With a little tough love, maybe they might see things clearly and seek the root to their negativeness.

Just my two cents :)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Psychi vampires! I find that people who speak negatively all the time sure do bring a person down. Our spirits I think react to others who also know God, a negative person is not walking in the fullness of the light of God and that darkness can affect those around them. I like what Candice suggested about writing the scriptures out, or you can find a phrase that sticks in your head that brings you back to His glorious light.

shalom,

Mizz

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

When you are told the same thing over and over, you begin to believe it. I suggest writing out a page of scriptures that tell you who you really are, and make sure you read it more often that you receive the other message... that is... overpower their negative message with the truth of the Word. Wield the sword. emot-hug.gif

Psychological pressure can cause depression and (IMHO) my humble opinion does far more damage than people realise.

As Candice said, " When you are told the same thing over and over, you begin to believe it".

It becomes an abuse almost; if not sometimes worse than physical abuse.

It's as if that person or others are telling you in your mind that you are not loved , not wanted.

How do we deal with it?

We know that Jesus loves us and that is what we need to cling too in a moment or time of negativity.

Others have given you some good advice.

When I was in deep depresion I prayed. Often the words of Psalm 31 kept me going.

"In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.

Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.

For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.

Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.

Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.

I have hated them that regard lying vanities: but I trust in the LORD.

I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;

And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room.

Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.

For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed.

I was a reproach among all mine enemies, but especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: they that did see me without fled from me.

I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel.

For I have heard the slander of many: fear was on every side: while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.

But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God."

I apologise if this is the "KJV" version as I dont know what bible you use.

God bless you and do not fear we can defeat negativity, you are are in my prayers and thoughts.

Nigel.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Only if you receive their words more than what Jesus says about you.

But it takes a lot of strength and wholeness to do that, and very few of us do, myself included.

:(:emot-hug:

From one wounded soul to another.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, if they tell you negative things over and over it can cause you to become depressed, but only if you take it to heart. Try to remember that the person saying these things probably have a lot of hatred in their heart and it might not even be about you. Chances are good that it's not at all about you. Pray for them.

wub.gif

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Sis, can I also encourage you to talk to your doctor about this? If it continues for more than 2 weeks, and causes you to lose joy in things you used to love, affects your sleep or appetite, you could have genuine depression requiring medication. Sometimes it is not a super spiritual event but a medical one. I just wanted you to know that the option is available for you emot-hug.gif