Isaiah 6:8

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this ‘emotion’ is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder, or stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead. His eyes are closed.” Albert Einstein

In today’s world it seems we want to remove the mysterious. We all want “evidence” and we want to be “right.” In religious and political circles we’ve abandoned civility for the sake of proving who is “right” and who is “wrong.” Richard Rohr says he doesn’t recall Jesus ever saying “This is my commandment: thou shalt be right.” The amazing arrogance of people today to claim the truth creates walls, wars, and wailing.

Where is the embrace of the mysterious? When asked which is the greatest commandment in the Law, Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matt 22:36-40)

Does loving our neighbor require that we first prove who is right? Does standing in awe at the sunset require that we first argue about color refraction? If I am in Venice, Florida and pull into a service station, do I demand proof that what comes out of the hose is gasoline before I pump it into the tank of my beautiful car?

Faith, by definition, requires walking ahead without clear “evidence or proof” that what we believe will happen. If we remove faith and the mysterious from our lives, we are not reaching for our ultimate best; rather, we have deteriorated into mechanized robots — or as Einstein says, “as good as dead.”

How concerned are you about being right?

Source

Well I still think there is a need to always be ready to give an answer 1 Peter 3:15

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  856
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/22/1997

so nobody's allowed to be right? :blink:

thats no fun :(

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

so nobody's allowed to be right? :blink:

thats no fun :(

Soooooo let me be right 51% of the time and you can be right 49% of the time............what a deal. :cool:

• Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3

I'd say being "right" is relative. In some religions, they say this or that is right. But some would say this isn't. A concrete example of this is the views of Christians and Muslims. Don't get me wrong here, I am a Catholic.

However, when it comes to truth, then it is absolute. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

2 b honest.. I know I'm not rite, but when I am I like ppl 2 give me the credit 4 it. I know that's wat I would do.. I like 2 b humble, not stepped or trampled on.. & I know that if some1 was wrong I'd let them know & try 2 help them understand wat is rite. I mean I know, that's wat I'd like.. 4 some1 2 show me & teach me y my answer is wrong..

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks for posting this and it was a joy to read! As for me, I don't care about being right, all I care is the truth, but it seems that some Christians like to be right, which can cause problems. It feels like most of us are missing the message that Jesus taught, we are supposed to LOVE each other, not judge others.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  12/14/1985

You mean I am not right?! :noidea::21:

That old sledge hammer hurts! What I want to know is when did debates and telling each other the 'truths' become, iron sharpens iron'? I love a good midrash but I am tired of the whole, 'God revealed it to me, this is what the scriptures really say' and oh the best is when someone declares I have studied/gone to school/was taught/shown this out and I understand it better than you. Ok rant over.

Its not just here its all over the net! I have seen an increase in attacks on one another throughout this entire year. Wonderful people I know have gotten so hurt and burned out their faith is hurting as they look upon their brothers and sisters in wonder how they can treat one another the way they do. One gal I know said her faith felt squashed! The enemy is working over time as the days get shorter until His return.

Loving our neighbor starts at home and with those in your family, if we treat our family like we treat others on the net we might start a family war. The personal attacks on ones salvation truly need to stop just because a person doesn't hold your truth doesn't make them right or wrong and standing on the foundation that one is correct is pretty prideful and we all know what God says about pride. Lev. 26:19 I will break down your stubborn pride. Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Humility, grace, humblness of the heart all go towards showing His grace and how He has worked in you and that is what we should be in constant awareness of and pass that along to others. I know how difficult it is to get ones point across and also to have a different view of things than most, I also know how it is when others address how I see things its usually not with a lot of grace but it has shown me His grace. We need to learn to apply it to all areas of our lives.

shalom,

Mizz

this is beautiful. and if we KNOW everything, and are RIGHT about everything, what would we need FAITH for?

Pride is a scary thing. It can be a cold lonely place.

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6

I am always pray to God being a right way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  2

I am not concerned about being right, I believe Jesus Christ is the truth, the way and the life.

I am not concerned about non-believers saying Jesus Christ isnt the truth, the way and he life, I am however concerned about people claiming they are believers and saying Jesus isnt the way the truth and the life.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus said it. I believe Him. If we can agee with these two statements, we can then proceed to discuss it and always, of course, for His praise & glory. "Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth!"