• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,585
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On February 13, 2016 at 10:23 PM, FresnoJoe said:

streams

The Hebrew Meaning of "Jesus"
      The name "Jesus" is an Anglicized form of the Greek name Yesous found in the New Testament, which represented the Hebrew Bible name Yeshua ("Jeshua" in English Bibles; Ezra 2:2; Neh 7:7). Yeshua, in turn, was a shortened form of the name Yehoshua ("Joshua" in English Bibles).
yehoshua-28.gif
"Yehoshua"

"Yehoshua" is a compound name consisting of two elements.

(1) The prefix "Yeho–" is an abbreviation of the Tetragrammaton, God's Four-Letter Name: Yod-He-Vav-He or YHVH.

4-letters
The 4-Letter Name

In the Hebrew Bible "Yeho-" is used at the beginning of certain proper names: Jehoshaphat, Jehoiachin, Jehonathan (the "J" was pronounced as "Y" in Medieval English). The suffix form of the Tetragrammaton is "-yah" ("-iah" in Greek, as in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zechariah, or Halleluiah).

(2) The second element of the name is a form of the Hebrew verb yasha which means to deliver, save, or rescue.

Thus, linguistically, the name Yehoshua/Yeshua/Jesus conveys the idea that God (YHVH) delivers (his people).

According to Matthew 1:21, "Yeshua" is the name God gave his Son.

Shem-Yeshua
"Yeshua" in
Ancient Hebrew
  Shem-Yeshua
"Yeshua" in
Modern Hebrew
with vowel points

For more detail on the Hebrew behind the name "Jesus Christ," see Shem Yeshua Mashiach.

For a long article on the Tetragrammaton HaShem—The Name. Also see the PDF tables of Hebrew-Aramaic transliteration.

hebrew-streams.org http://www.hebrew-streams.org/frontstuff/jesus-yeshua.html

~

hdr4blu.gif

Directory | Site Map | Explanation

Shem Yeshua Mashiach
The Hebrew Roots of the Name “Jesus Christ”

Shem-Yeshua
"Yeshua" in Ancient Hebrew
      The name "Jesus" is an Anglicized (English) form of the Greek name Yesous. In the first century Yesous represented the Hebrew name Yeshua, which in turn was a shortened form of the name Yehoshua.

Early
Hebrew Bible1
Later
Hebrew Bible2
LXX Greek
(Septuagint)
NT Greek
Hebrew & Greek yehoshua-26.gif yeshua-28.gif yesous-20.gif yesous-20.gif
Transliteration Yeshoshua Yeshua Yesous
(Iesous)
Yesous
(Iesous)
English Bibles Joshua Jeshua Joshua Jesus,
Joshua3
1 Exodus 17:9; Deuteronomy 34:9; Joshua 1:1
2 Ezra 2:2; Nehemiah 8:17; 2 Chronicles 31:15
3 Luke 3:29; Acts 7:45; Hebrews 4:8

The Hebrew name Yehoshua consists of two parts.

(1) "Yeho—" is a shortened form of the Tetragrammaton [YHVH; in English Bibles: "the LORD"] when it is the first part of a name.

(2) "—shua" is an abbreviated form of the verb yasha, which means "to save, rescue, or deliver." Thus the name Yehoshua means "the LORD saves or delivers."

The New Testament reflects this Hebrew background in passages such as:

She will bear a son; and you shall call his name Yeshua,
for it is he who will save his people from their sins.
(said by an angel; Matthew 1:21)

There is salvation [Heb. yeshuah] in no one else;
for there is no other Name under heaven
that has been given among men,
by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12)

God highly exalted him, and bestowed on him the Name which is above every name,
that at the name of Yeshua ["the LORD saves or delivers"]
every knee should bow,
of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth,
and that every tongue should confess that Yeshua Messiah is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:9-11)

I have come in my Father's Name . . .
[Father] I have manifested Your Name to those
whom you have given to me." (John 5:43; 17:6)

An important point: "Yeshua" is the name God himself gave his son (Matt 1:21).

The name (and title) Christ comes into English from the Greek Christos, an adjectival noun used in the 2nd-century B(CE) Greek Old Testament (Septuagint) for men and things that were "anointed" with fragrant oil or with the Pneuma (Ruach) of God.

Leviticus 4:16 — The anointed priest [ho hiereus ho christos] shall bring in the blood . . .

1 Samuel 2:10 — The Lord . . . will exalt the horn of his anointed [christos].

2 Samuel 23:1 — Faithful is David, the son of Jesse, and faithful is the man whom the Lord raised up to be (the) anointed [christos] of the God of Jacob.

Psalm 2:2 — The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers gathered themselves together, against the Lord and against his anointed one [christos].

Daniel 9:25 — . . . from the going forth of the command for the answer and the building of Jerusalem until (the/an) Anointed [christos] leader there shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks . . .

In the Greek New Testament, the title Christos became so linked with Yeshua that it began to serve as his proper name: Messiah Yeshua.

"Messiah" itself is an Anglicized (English) form of the Greek word Messias which is a Hellenized form of the Hebrew word Mashiach, and possibly the Aramaic Meshichah.

mashiach.jpg meshichah.jpg messias.jpg christos.jpg
Mashiach
(Hebrew)
Meshichah
(Aramaic)
Messias1
(Greek)
Christos2
(Greek)
Messiah
    1 Used only at John 1:41; 4:25
    2 Used some 528x in the NT

[Top]

Directory | Site Map | Explanation
HaShem: The Name
hebrew-streams.org http://www.hebrew-streams.org/works/hebrew/shem-yeshua.html

Shabbat shalom, FresnoJoe.

Sites like the one you've cited above are Christian web sites from those who know only so much about Hebrew. They are NOT from Jews who USE Hebrew. I can understand this because Jews don't know Yeshua`. HOWEVER, the people behind such web sites don't know Hebrew like a Jew does!

I can understand this, too, because it takes a certain amount of humility and bravery to be a Christian learning Hebrew under the teaching of a Jew, especially an Israeli Jew. One really can't be a "missionary" to the Jew who is teaching him or her, while that Jew is teaching, and it's so hard for a Christian to shut up and listen and learn for a change from one who he or she thinks is beneath him or her when it comes to spiritual matters, even if that teacher knows more than he or she does in other matters, like Hebrew. If one wants to be a missionary to that Jewish teacher, he or she must do so STRICTLY by example in his or her actions.

Of course, one could learn Hebrew from a Messianic Jewish believer. My Hebrew teacher is a Sabra, a native-born Jew of Israel (lived in Haifa), used Hebrew all his life, and moved to the USA before he was introduced to the Messiah Yeshua`. Thus, he teaches the grammar as well as the vocabulary. It's not enough to know how the nouns work; one must also know how the verbs work! One must know the various patterns and the conjugation of the verbs in those patterns.

Web sites like the one you show in the above are very good with the vocabulary, but they fall down when it comes to the grammar.

In the chart, the site said that the "Early Hebrew Bible" indicated that the name was "Yeshoshua" (misspelled "Yehoshua") while the "Later Hebrew Bible" was "Yeshua." That is INCORRECT! "Yeshua" (my transliteration is "Yeeshuwa`") is NOT A CONTRACTION of "Yehoshua" (my transliteration is "Yhowshuwa`")! Hebrew doesn't work that way! Hebrew is not like English! You can't just take a name, like "Dani'el," which means "God is my Judge," and shorten it at a whim to "Dan," which means "Judge!" They mean entirely different things! The same is true for these two names, Yhowshuwa` and "Yeeshuwa`." The are ENTIRELY DIFFERENT NAMES because they mean ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS!

In Hebrew, if the word is "kotev," spelled "kaf-tav-vet" and meaning "I write," the future (imperfect) is formed this way:

Ekhtov (alef-khaf-tav-vet) = I will write
Tikhtov (tav-khaf-tav-vet) = you (masculine singular) will write
Tikht'viy (tav-khaf-tav-vet-yod) = you (feminine singular) will write
Yikhtov (yod-khaf-tav-vet) = he will write
Tikhtov (tav-khaf-tav-vet) = she will write
Nikhtov (nun-khaf-tav-vet) = we will write
Tikht'vuw (tav-khaf-tav-vet-vav) = you (masculine or feminine plural) will write
Yikht'vuw (tav-khaf-tav=vet-vav) = they (masculine or feminine) will write

The verb here is "yaasha`" (yod-shin-`ayin) meaning "I rescue" or "I deliver." (The verb is irregular since it begins with a yod.) The future (imperfect) is formed this way:

Eshuva` (alef-shin-vav-`ayin) = I will rescue/I will deliver
Tishuva` (tav-shin-vav-`ayin) = you (masculine singular) will rescue/deliver
Tishv`iy (tav-shin-vav-`ayin-yod) = you (feminine singular) will rescue/deliver
Yeeshuva` (yod-shin-vav-`ayin) = he will rescue/deliver
Tishuva` (tav-shin-vav-`ayin) = she will rescue/deliver
Nishuva` (nun-shin-vav-`ayin) = we will rescue/deliver
Tishv`uw (tav-shin-vav-`ayin) = you (masculine or feminine plural) will rescue/deliver
Yishv`uw (tav-shin-vav-`ayin-vav) = they (masculine or feminine) will rescue/deliver

Thus, His name means "HE WILL RESCUE!" It's the imperfect (simple future) tense of the irregular verb "yaasha`."

It's just NOT THE SAME as "Yehowshuwa`" which does indeed mean "Yah will rescue."

• George unpinned this topic