OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

As I read through posts written by those who have a far greater knowledge of Greek and Hebrew names then I, I often wonder how many other users here have no real idea who people are taking about. At times, I can give a good guess, but that is only an assumption on my part, and i don't like to assume. I am wondering if there can be a sort of dictionary for names pinned for those of us who are not as gifted? I don't mind doing the work, organizing the information, if people would supply the information.

I am sure there will be some "discussions" as to the real meaning of names, and I am not sure who to really turn for the final meaning, so if any one of those, or a group of those who know would assist, it would be appreciated. I will appreciate it if the Servants would approve those who are assigned. I know this sounds like a huge task to some, but it would be well accepted from those who are just learning, including those of us who have been in Christ for many years, but never learned the names people use.

So, are there any takers?

In His Love,

Alan

This post is edited to add the links Brother Joe provided. Thanks Joe!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

I'm not sure exactly what names you are talking about, names of the people in scripture like Moshe and that? Many of us read from the CJB which have their orginal names written in them, some take it too far in my opinion and could leave off writing the various hebrew and aramic forms on a mainstream board. I know I sometimes stop and have to rewrite names and such because I don't want to confuse others, its almost like writing in two languages sometimes! Is that what you meant?

shalom,

Mizz

There has been posts when those who have studied the Hebrew roots use names I am not familiar with. I do know Yeshua, but I am not familiar with haMelekh or Yochanan. Here is an example for a thread where Retrobyter posted the following:

No, Marv, they were RICH and FULL when Yeshua` was there! They had great opportunity and a great promise of the impending Kingdom with the presence of haMelekh, the KING! All they had to do was what He said to them after Yochanan was put in prison, "Repent and believe the gospel!" or "Change your thinking 180 degrees and believe the good news (which you already know from Isa. 52:7)!" They were not desolate at the time until Yeshua` gave up on them in Matt. 23:38. Just what do you think "desolate" means, anyway?

This is just one instance where I was at a loss. There have been many more in the past few months. It is good that people can communicate in this way, and know what is being discussed. Yet, I am at a loss when names that I have not heard of before are being used. For this reason, I was wondering if it was possible to create a list of names people use and who they are referring to.

Who knows ... maybe I am the only one who finds himself scratching his head when trying to follow a post. :noidea:

There has been posts when those who have studied the Hebrew roots use names I am not familiar with. I do know Yeshua, but I am not familiar with haMelekh or Yochanan. Here is an example for a thread where Retrobyter posted the following:

No, Marv, they were RICH and FULL when Yeshua` was there! They had great opportunity and a great promise of the impending Kingdom with the presence of haMelekh, the KING! All they had to do was what He said to them after Yochanan was put in prison, "Repent and believe the gospel!" or "Change your thinking 180 degrees and believe the good news (which you already know from Isa. 52:7)!" They were not desolate at the time until Yeshua` gave up on them in Matt. 23:38. Just what do you think "desolate" means, anyway?

This is just one instance where I was at a loss. There have been many more in the past few months. It is good that people can communicate in this way, and know what is being discussed. Yet, I am at a loss when names that I have not heard of before are being used. For this reason, I was wondering if it was possible to create a list of names people use and who they are referring to.

Who knows ... maybe I am the only one who finds himself scratching his head when trying to follow a post. :noidea:

I soo understand! I am not always 'up' on all the names either. Melekh means king we see its root in Melcheizdek's name. Yochanon is John. The one thing I have appreciated from the new posters is no insistance to the 'sacred name'. I may write God in one forum, YHWH or even Yah in another, I try to be respectful and see the newbies have also.

I think I know a site or two that has the names and such side by side if they aren't worth posting I know a ton of people who will so I will find it and post it for everyone. And if I forget please remind me! :thumbsup:

shalom,

Mizz

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Who knows ... maybe I am the only one who finds himself scratching his head when trying to follow a post . :noidea:

Nope your not! I can not remember names, it took me years to remember the names of a couple of kids in the family, just as they were leaving for collage then, the parents turned around and adopted 5 more this past year, all under 8. Talk about going through empty nest syndrome, not.... No hair left on my head to scratch...:b:

Dennis

I soo understand! I am not always 'up' on all the names either. Melekh means king we see its root in Melcheizdek's name. Yochanon is John. The one thing I have appreciated from the new posters is no insistance to the 'sacred name'. I may write God in one forum, YHWH or even Yah in another, I try to be respectful and see the newbies have also.

I think I know a site or two that has the names and such side by side if they aren't worth posting I know a ton of people who will so I will find it and post it for everyone. And if I forget please remind me! :thumbsup:

shalom,

Mizz

The links would be great also. Until then, I have placed the beginning of what people have posted in the first post of the thread.

As I read through posts written by those who have a far greater knowledge of Greek and Hebrew names then I, I often wonder how many other users here have no real idea who people are taking about. At times, I can give a good guess, but that is only an assumption on my part, and i don't like to assume. I am wondering if there can be a sort of dictionary for names pinned for those of us who are not as gifted? I don't mind doing the work, organizing the information, if people would supply the information....

Are You Ever In For A Treat And For A Little Confusion Too :)

From Adonai to Yahweh A Glossary of God’s Names

An Introduction to the Names Yehoshua/Joshua, Yeshua, Jesus and Yeshu by Kai Kjær-Hansen

List Of Over 2,500 Bible Names

The Etymology And History Of First Names - Biblical Names

And This Brother's Whole Site Is An Interesting Look At One Man's Journey The Names Of God

As I read through posts written by those who have a far greater knowledge of Greek and Hebrew names then I, I often wonder how many other users here have no real idea who people are taking about. At times, I can give a good guess, but that is only an assumption on my part, and i don't like to assume. I am wondering if there can be a sort of dictionary for names pinned for those of us who are not as gifted? I don't mind doing the work, organizing the information, if people would supply the information....

An Introduction to the Names Yehoshua/Joshua, Yeshua, Jesus and Yeshu by Kai Kjær-Hansen

And This Brother's Whole Site Is An Interesting Look At One Man's Journey The Names Of God

Thanks brother Joe for all those links! We will have to pin those somewhere!

Thanks brother Joe for all those links! We will have to pin those somewhere!

Yes, please do! If you don't see me for awhile, it is probably due to being on one or more of these sites. :thumbsup:

Ah Ha! I finally remembered to pin this!

I hope the websites are useful to everyone, thanks again brother Joe.