forrestkc

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have not seen clear statistical evidence that fewer Christians die of cancer than non-believers or that they are immune in greater degree from the diseases that afflict the human race.

Some of the kindest, most selfless persons I have known have had more than their share of bad health.  The fact that they belong to Christ did not insulate them from disease.

Therefore, I will not follow Christ for promised healing.

I will not deny or dispute evidence of restoration of health.  I will rejoice at every recovery from what seems to be hopeless, threatened death.  I will not hesitate to pray for recovered health for my loved ones and acquaintances.  I will set no limits on what God may do but I will not follow Christ for promised healing.

I see no sign that Christians escape disaster and accident more often than others.  I've helped dear friends empty muddy water out of dresser drawers and new appliances after a disastrous flood.  I remember as a child taking clothes to a widow with five children whose house had burned to the ground.  A bullet makes no detour around the body of a believer.

Therefore, I will not follow Christ for any promised protection from disaster. 

I will not scoff at amazing survivals nor deny that providence has and continues to work for the good of God's own.  I will continue to pray for protection from wicked men and tragedy, but I will not follow Christ for promised protection from accident or catastrophe.

I do not observe that Christians are especially favored with prosperity.  Like James, we've all seen the rich oppressing the poor and justice is rarely perfect in this world.  The psalmist has said that he "had not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread" and in the deepest needs of this life, that is certainly true but all of us have known people of integrity who have not prospered.

Therefore, I will not follow Christ for promised freedom from physical want or hope of affluence.

I'm not sure that Christians have stronger personalities or fewer neuroses than non-believers.  I do know that there is no bitterness like religious bitterness and no arrogance more insufferable.  I have watched Christians suffer emotional and mental disabilities and though it may seem heretical, I am not sure that I would really enjoy living in the same house with either the Apostle Peter or Paul.

God wills that the mind of Christ be formed in us and there is no doubt in my mind that the Christian's attitudes and actions will be improved by his Christianity, but I will not follow Christ for any promise of personality enhancement or perfection.

Why then follow Christ?  Why become a disciple of Jesus when life may become more complicated as He so often warned?

For one reason alone:

In Jesus we behold the face of God.  He is the truth, the everlasting truth, God in the flesh.  I know that in His life, death, and resurrection, I am reconciled to God, the giver of life.

I believe that nothing can separate us from the love of God.  He has all power and goodness and I trust Him and His promises.  To him, I offer my life, damaged or whole, brief or full of years.  It matters not.  He is the one certain thing in an uncertain world.  He is to be worshiped, not so something will happen to me or to the world.  Something already has happened to me and the world, but because He is God who, through Christ, has reconciled the world to Himself.  He saves me.  He is my justification.  He is the center that holds.  To worship the God of our salvation, to offer sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving; that alone is our vocation.  We offer our lives to God, not so as to be healthy, wealthy, or wise, not even so to gain the strength to do great things for Him; we offer our lives to Him because He alone has claim upon us.  God is not a means to an end.

John C. Hutchinson Jr. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

I still believe that miracles happen when you least expect it... It has to be accompanied with prayers though...

There is no doubt that prayers can bring on miracles, yet I also think miracles sometimes happen without prayer, more time with prayer then not.

In Iraq, five people in my platoon were riding in a Humvee, they were hit by an IED. The Hunvee was totaled, like it was peeled like an apple around the five passengers, yet for a few scrapes and one broken leg, nobody was killed. There was no doubt in my mind that Angels were riding with them that day, yet in that brief moment when the IED blew up, there was no time for prayer, but there were many prayers of thank-you God afterwards.

What a miraculous event that was---glory to God! However, it was due to prayer. God responds to intercession. Countless unnamed Christians pray for the troops every day all day long!

That is true, but I can tell you this, "God is no stranger, on the field of battle".

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I still believe that miracles happen when you least expect it... It has to be accompanied with prayers though...

There is no doubt that prayers can bring on miracles, yet I also think miracles sometimes happen without prayer, more time with prayer then not.

In Iraq, five people in my platoon were riding in a Humvee, they were hit by an IED. The Hunvee was totaled, like it was peeled like an apple around the five passengers, yet for a few scrapes and one broken leg, nobody was killed. There was no doubt in my mind that Angels were riding with them that day, yet in that brief moment when the IED blew up, there was no time for prayer, but there were many prayers of thank-you God afterwards.

What a miraculous event that was---glory to God! However, it was due to prayer. God responds to intercession. Countless unnamed Christians pray for the troops every day all day long!

That is true, but I can tell you this, "God is no stranger, on the field of battle".

But...God is not obligated to protect those who are not His own.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/13/1982

I am not saying that you have to pray right then and there... Perhaps, one of your people had prayed for safety right before you guys were on a patrol or something... But I'm glad to hear you're all right though...

God really works in wonders... miracles or not...

"God will make a way where there seems to be no way. He works in ways we cannot see, He will make a way for me..." just remembered this quote from a religious song...:rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I have not seen clear statistical evidence that fewer Christians die of cancer than non-believers or that they are immune in greater degree from the diseases that afflict the human race.

Some of the kindest, most selfless persons I have known have had more than their share of bad health.  The fact that they belong to Christ did not insulate them from disease.

Therefore, I will not follow Christ for promised healing.

I will not deny or dispute evidence of restoration of health.  I will rejoice at every recovery from what seems to be hopeless, threatened death.  I will not hesitate to pray for recovered health for my loved ones and acquaintances.  I will set no limits on what God may do but I will not follow Christ for promised healing.

I see no sign that Christians escape disaster and accident more often than others.  I've helped dear friends empty muddy water out of dresser drawers and new appliances after a disastrous flood.  I remember as a child taking clothes to a widow with five children whose house had burned to the ground.  A bullet makes no detour around the body of a believer.

Therefore, I will not follow Christ for any promised protection from disaster. 

I will not scoff at amazing survivals nor deny that providence has and continues to work for the good of God's own.  I will continue to pray for protection from wicked men and tragedy, but I will not follow Christ for promised protection from accident or catastrophe.

I do not observe that Christians are especially favored with prosperity.  Like James, we've all seen the rich oppressing the poor and justice is rarely perfect in this world.  The psalmist has said that he "had not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread" and in the deepest needs of this life, that is certainly true but all of us have known people of integrity who have not prospered.

Therefore, I will not follow Christ for promised freedom from physical want or hope of affluence.

I'm not sure that Christians have stronger personalities or fewer neuroses than non-believers.  I do know that there is no bitterness like religious bitterness and no arrogance more insufferable.  I have watched Christians suffer emotional and mental disabilities and though it may seem heretical, I am not sure that I would really enjoy living in the same house with either the Apostle Peter or Paul.

God wills that the mind of Christ be formed in us and there is no doubt in my mind that the Christian's attitudes and actions will be improved by his Christianity, but I will not follow Christ for any promise of personality enhancement or perfection.

Why then follow Christ?  Why become a disciple of Jesus when life may become more complicated as He so often warned?

For one reason alone:

In Jesus we behold the face of God.  He is the truth, the everlasting truth, God in the flesh.  I know that in His life, death, and resurrection, I am reconciled to God, the giver of life.

I believe that nothing can separate us from the love of God.  He has all power and goodness and I trust Him and His promises.  To him, I offer my life, damaged or whole, brief or full of years.  It matters not.  He is the one certain thing in an uncertain world.  He is to be worshiped, not so something will happen to me or to the world.  Something already has happened to me and the world, but because He is God who, through Christ, has reconciled the world to Himself.  He saves me.  He is my justification.  He is the center that holds.  To worship the God of our salvation, to offer sacrifices of praise and thanksgiving; that alone is our vocation.  We offer our lives to God, not so as to be healthy, wealthy, or wise, not even so to gain the strength to do great things for Him; we offer our lives to Him because He alone has claim upon us.  God is not a means to an end.

John C. Hutchinson Jr. 

That is one of the most relevant posts I have read in ages and expresses much of what I understand to be foundational, but around which there are many detours.

I am not fond of the expression, 'back to basics', as in the Believers walk it implies once again sipping 'milk' rather than feasting on 'meat'...but I think we all need

to remind ourselves of the simplicity of the Gospel, and what is at the heart of the our calling to be disciples.

We love Him because He first loved us. If we love Him we will obey Him. I don't think it can be made any simpler or more profoundly truthful.

Botz

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,434
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I add my heart of affirmation to this light of truth as well... Love, Steven

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

But... "There are no atheists in foxholes"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

But... "There are no atheists in foxholes"

Fez you got that right, yet the sad thing is, when a lot of these men and women come home from war, it doesn't seem to take them long to forget who God is. It is the same old saying "some people only seek God in times of peril".

• Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Read it here ^