• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  50
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/23/1977

I find that my bible reading and walking the walk goes in cycles. For awhile i will read the bible voraciously, ask questions to gain knowledge, and consciously make decisions to walk the walk. Then i seem to stop reading, asking questions, and stumbling while i try to walk for a period of time.

Is this common among Christians?

Do you have suggestions or advice?

What do you do when you recognize your not spending time "God-wisely"?

I find that my bible reading and walking the walk goes in cycles. For awhile i will read the bible voraciously, ask questions to gain knowledge, and consciously make decisions to walk the walk. Then i seem to stop reading, asking questions, and stumbling while i try to walk for a period of time.

What do you do when you recognize your not spending time "God-wisely"....

Yes, Common

The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Isaiah 40:3

Hills And Valleys

He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. John 1:23

But Dear One There Is A Way To Walk

Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

And To Eat

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11

~

Be Blessed Beloved

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Yes it is common. I call it the "Law of Undulation"

It very often occurs when we try to do things under our power and not His.

I have found that one needs to set some sort of routine for prayer at least. South and I pray every morning before work, and every night before sleep. The evenings are the longer periods for prayer for us. Church, home group, prayer meetings and fellowship also help me to avoid the up and down syndrome :thumbsup:

When you are in this position, try and read your bible for at least 5 minutes a day, and you will find that this grows in time as you get immersed in the word. One of my biggest failings is that although I do all of the above, reading my bible needs attention. I can do a study and then I am immersed, but am lax when it comes to simply picking it up and reading.

So you are not alone!

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Hey Mudpie emot-hug.gif

I have rules for myself.

I don't get online each morning until I've at least spent some time in prayer, and done a devotional if it is convenient (as in, if I can get to my devotional database).

I don't watch any TV until I've read some of the bible during that day.

Seems to help me put the right things first. And let's face it, we probably spent a considerable amount of time online and watching the idiot box every day, so those rules work well for me!

Love ya wub.gif

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

"A Conspiracy of Interruptions!" By David Wilkerson, founding pastor ...

The devil's conspiracy of interruptions in my life is most ferocious whenever I am most determined to get alone with the Lord.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,193
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Our Lord has said what you make your priority and invest your life into will become your treasure; for where you heart is so also your treasure... A clearer understanding of that which does not want the things of God and that which does now lies in a daily choice for you -praise God yes for this war (is it not a witness of His presence within)!- Rom 7 ... Know that from this point of understanding on- all that you invest in that which does not want the things of God are the things which will not continue past this place (life) of waste and the reverse that which you build on that does (sanctioned by His Word) goes with you forever! In this conscience form of daily living ask yourself do I want to build a more whole being of myself to be with Jesus or a lessor one with a greater realized loss when translated into His presence? There is no greater ideal than to be all that you can be when stepping into His Presence!

A practical way to increase your time and effort in the getting to know Him through His Word is to step up into a library that is held in a PC. You will increase in efficiency and accuracy of study plus with the online aspect depth of field into God's family whereby there is wisdom in the council of many of like faith! As you read His Word and a question pops into your mind about this place or thing you now have the ability to seek out its answer and with that answer opens a whole new realm of Who that our Lord 'IS' and will in fact deepen you to Him so also your love to be with Him in this way and Bible study becomes a living meeting place with You and Him. It is He who has increased knowledge in these last of days and to invest into the discovery of His Richness through history, geography, philosophy, science, math, arts will translate you into the true Presence of an Infinite Father and Remarkable Friend that we have in His Son by the quiet gentle Spirit within.... Love, Steven

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Time managment as Candice points out is a great way to get your bible reading and study done, in our busy lives unfortunately it seems we have to 'pencil' in our studies. When I was still working I took time right after I got home before the kids got home from school. Now I have one of the greatest gifts of being able to study and dig when I need and want. There is always the various programs where you can stay on a schedule of reading you can find them online easily some come with set answers and such.

shalom,

Mizz

lol idiot box, now that's funny :24:

Hey Mudpie emot-hug.gif

I have rules for myself.

I don't get online each morning until I've at least spent some time in prayer, and done a devotional if it is convenient (as in, if I can get to my devotional database).

I don't watch any TV until I've read some of the bible during that day.

Seems to help me put the right things first. And let's face it, we probably spent a considerable amount of time online and watching the idiot box every day, so those rules work well for me!

Love ya wub.gif

Law of Undulation, that's awesome! :D

Yes it is common. I call it the "Law of Undulation"

It very often occurs when we try to do things under our power and not His.

I have found that one needs to set some sort of routine for prayer at least. South and I pray every morning before work, and every night before sleep. The evenings are the longer periods for prayer for us. Church, home group, prayer meetings and fellowship also help me to avoid the up and down syndrome :thumbsup:

When you are in this position, try and read your bible for at least 5 minutes a day, and you will find that this grows in time as you get immersed in the word. One of my biggest failings is that although I do all of the above, reading my bible needs attention. I can do a study and then I am immersed, but am lax when it comes to simply picking it up and reading.

So you are not alone!

Thank you everyone. That does help me. I'm not much of a schedule person, but i definately think i need to find a better way than what i'm doing. so...i will start trying some of your suggestions. :thumbsup: