• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Would you have anyone and everyone be eligible to run - no rules, no barriers. no guidelines?

Are all regulations nannyism?

Or is the true reason for your objection the issue of language? Are you actually objecting to an English language standard actually being set down and put into place?

If they're foolish enough to elect someone who lacks the ability to perform the role fully that is their problem.

Yep, that has been a big problem since it happened in the Presidential race of 2008

This person can't be worse.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Just when did America become a Democracy? We are a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC. WE have NEVER BEEN a democracy.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

There seem to be several issues here. First and foremost, in a democracy it should be the votes who decide who represents them not a committee. If they're foolish enough to elect someone who lacks the ability to perform the role fully that is their problem.

Yep, that has been a big problem since it happened in the Presidential race of 2008

This person can't be worse.

Two wrongs do not = right. So what is left for us to do?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

The thing you fail to understand is that a Nation implies unity. It's not the multi cultural utopia that secular humanism and most college professors love to imagine.

That's called anarchy.

You should look at the Old Testament some time.:thumbsup:

Dave, are you implying unity comes about through a central language? I live in a melting pot of cultures and down here the idea that multiculturalism and disunity are opposites of 'Nation' is considered intolerant and racist. I don't think you are a racist, but the idea you just put out there is very unpalatable here, gotta say. What is wrong with multiculturalism? Or have I misunderstood you?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

If people are stupid enough to vote for someone they can't communicate with, surely that is their problem! Do Americans really need comittees of nannies to preselect suitable candidates for office? Do you really think your fellow citizens are too thick to make rational choices?

Unfortunately, in her district there are many people who are just like her......not proficient in English. There would be a very good chance of this group electing a non-English speaking councilwoman. It's not because they're thick, it's because they speak Spanish as their first language......it's just how things are there and, in some cases, here in Houston as well. No, Americans are way less in need of a nanny state than many other countries and, of course, we don't LIKE nannyism. ;)

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The thing you fail to understand is that a Nation implies unity. It's not the multi cultural utopia that secular humanism and most college professors love to imagine.

That's called anarchy.

You should look at the Old Testament some time.:thumbsup:

Dave, are you implying unity comes about through a central language? I live in a melting pot of cultures and down here the idea that multiculturalism and disunity are opposites of 'Nation' is considered intolerant and racist. I don't think you are a racist, but the idea you just put out there is very unpalatable here, gotta say. What is wrong with multiculturalism? Or have I misunderstood you?

Multi Culturalism here means seperate unique cultures competing against the central culture. I'm sure that Aussies don't buy that because if they do the Nation will cease to exist. Multiple cultures and ideas when directed as the driving force behind a melting pot which identifies first with the Nations Ideal is okay in my book. Actually it has made America strong. Folks didn't come here to disperse into fractional tribes. They came with their strengths and weaknesses to meld into the unique American culture.

That's what I mean and to give an example I would cite this thread and Amor's ideas as evidence.

There is a huge band in the South Eastern U.S. now inhabited by folks who have come and benefited from our prosperity and cultural context but they simply refuse to become part of the culture. They actually seek to remain separate and refuse to to even be part of our National Identity preferring instead to wave Foreign Flags over schools and at assemblies. It happens as far North as where I live right here in MD at times. It's sad really.

Peace,

Dave

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Yikes Dave, I think we are fairly far apart in our views on this. But I think we already suspected that :).

We have many subcultures here, I don't find them a threat, nor do I sense they are competing with some national culture. They are just doing their thing, and I'm fine if they don't ever assimilate into some kind of "national culture". Cultural diversity is celebrated for making our country as a whole richer in cultural depth.

I see it as freedom to be able to come here and be whoever you want to be rather than being forced into some kind of cultural mould. I don't find that our cultural diversity and 'factions' are divisive or tearing down our nation.

But that's just me, and this is likely to take the thread way off course.

Yikes Dave, I think we are fairly far apart in our views on this. But I think we already suspected that :).

We have many subcultures here, I don't find them a threat, nor do I sense they are competing with some national culture. They are just doing their thing, and I'm fine if they don't ever assimilate into some kind of "national culture". Cultural diversity is celebrated for making our country as a whole richer in cultural depth.

I see it as freedom to be able to come here and be whoever you want to be rather than being forced into some kind of cultural mould. I don't find that our cultural diversity and 'factions' are divisive or tearing down our nation.

But that's just me, and this is likely to take the thread way off course.

No it won't.:thumbsup:

We still celebarte cultural diversity here. Like the annual St. Patricks Day Parade, but we are Americans first, and the parade is no detriment to the unique American culture.

What's being taught in our Schools here is the elimination of that culture.:huh: America is the problem, not the solution in their minds. This is why folks refuse to even try to speak English. They believe that they are entitled and shouldn't have to.:blink:

When I say they wave foreign flags it is to the detriment of the American Flag even going as far as excluding it and harrassing folks who proudly display it.

Let me repharse what I'm trying to say in a way that might have us speaking the same language.:thumbsup:

Suppose we had a business but we decided there was no central core tenants or focus of that business and that everyone was just going to go off into seperate corners with folks that they liked and work. How far do you think we'd get?

Let's look at another example and the One upon which America was founded and this is the Judeo/Christian ethic.

Christ is the head of the corporate Body and through Him the goals and the focus flow. We all are all seperate disparate peoples and cultures but we all speak the same language. The Language of Heaven and we all have One standard set of rules that guide our behavior and our ethic. :thumbsup: