ayin jade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

OK, what are you saying now (hey maybe we do speak a different language) is a little different to the sense I got before. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not really in a position to judge whether your subcultures really are a threat to the Nation of America so I'll just watch from here :).

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Would you have anyone and everyone be eligible to run - no rules, no barriers. no guidelines?

Are all regulations nannyism?

Or is the true reason for your objection the issue of language? Are you actually objecting to an English language standard actually being set down and put into place?

Anyone eligible to vote should surely be eligible to stand for election, this is a comment on elections in general. There are enough arcane threads about Presidential elections. Reguations that needlessly limit people's freedom are nannyish. I teach people to pass exams so clearly i love language assesment.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Yikes Dave, I think we are fairly far apart in our views on this. But I think we already suspected that :).

We have many subcultures here, I don't find them a threat, nor do I sense they are competing with some national culture. They are just doing their thing, and I'm fine if they don't ever assimilate into some kind of "national culture". Cultural diversity is celebrated for making our country as a whole richer in cultural depth.

When you call a bank or doctor office or the like, is the first thing you hear a recording that says, "Press 1 for English, [press 2 for ***language]"? (Note the second part is spoken in that language).

Do you have Chinese workers (for example) working as, say, the manager of a fast food restaurant taking an order, having a miscommunication problem with a customer on account of not being proficient in English, and then cocking an attitude about it? (That happened in a fast food restaurant I was in one time; the customer was the son of Korean immigrants and he was furious at the intolerant attitude this Hispanic woman had towards making the effort to communicate properly in English.)

These are just examples of what is happening here with the Hispanics here.

When you call a bank or doctor office or the like, is the first thing you hear a recording that says, "Press 1 for English, [press 2 for ***language]"? (Note the second part is spoken in that language).

Do you have Chinese workers (for example) working as, say, the manager of a fast food restaurant taking an order, having a miscommunication problem with a customer on account of not being proficient in English, and then cocking an attitude about it? (That happened in a fast food restaurant I was in one time; the customer was the son of Korean immigrants and he was furious at the intolerant attitude this Hispanic woman had towards making the effort to communicate properly in English.)

These are just examples of what is happening here with the Hispanics here.

We probably differ here Neb, sorry.

Welcome to the free market. If a bank or doctors office are providing bilingual services, good for them. If there is a market for them, they will thrive, otherwise they won't. If you don't like it, speak with your dollars and go elsewhere. The only reason these businesses survive is because there must be a significant market base for them.

If I went to a fast food place and they couldn't take my order properly, I'd go elsewhere.

We probably differ here Neb, sorry.

Welcome to the free market. If a bank or doctors office are providing bilingual services, good for them.

That isn't what I asked.

Do you have this recording every time you can any and every credit card company, any and every bank, any and every doctors office, any and every grocery self-checkout line, etc.?

Do you ever feel as if the culture of another people is attempting to overtake your own?

Do you feel as if the people from another nation or nations are treating your language and culture with disrespect?

We don't have a problem with people keeping their culture. It's the being taken over feeling they are giving us, and being allowed to get away with, that is bothering us.

If I went to a fast food place and they couldn't take my order properly, I'd go elsewhere.

But should this be allowed?

Edit: Actually, what we are feeling is the same kind of threat we feel from Islam, just a different culture.

Edited by nebula

Is it a free world? Or only a free world for those who want to be like you?

I'm trying not to be offensive, I know this topic is quite sensitive. But I don't see multiculturalism through the same light as what I hear about here.

Is it a free world? Or only a free world for those who want to be like you?

I'm trying not to be offensive, I know this topic is quite sensitive. But I don't see multiculturalism through the same light as what I hear about here.

I just looked at your Playschool thread and added an edit to my above post.

Hey Neb...

I'm really nervous about wading into these waters and being offensive. So I'm likely to pull out soon.

But the deal with Islam, is that it is a spiritual threat. Different languages gaining a foothold in a nation does not equate to a spiritual threat to me, it is not even a cultural threat, it is just the 'evolution' of a nation. I understand that many don't want America to evolve and they want it to remain what it was, and I obviously see that different because I am not one of you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,009
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  3

I think this thread has been very illuminating to candice, and it's been very illuminating to me as well, regarding what circumstances some people think freedoms regarding The Democratic Process in America apply or don't.

I think this thread has been very illuminating to candice, and it's been very illuminating to me as well, regarding what circumstances some people think freedoms regarding The Democratic Process in America apply or don't.

You are right, it has been a bit of an eye opener. But I note that this desire that people conform to American culture is a social pressure and not a legal one, unless I am mistaken?