Declaration of faith - If I kept this quiet does this make me less Chr

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

I'm sorry to vent my frustration here, I'm just in need to get your opinions on if I did the right thing. I went to a dinner catch up with my friends and another friend who is exploring the whole spiritual element and we kind of had a bit of a clash.

I thought the main bite size is this - I got sick, suffered, miraculous speed of recovery and became interested in Christianity and now a studying the bible and everything with a fine tooth comb. My friend married a Devout Christian and now suddenly has transformed into Captain Christianity! (they weren't even christian before! :noidea: ). When we met we some how got into the topic of our recent start to a change of faith. When I said that I haven't in his words declared my new faith or had been baptized. He said it was impossible for me to consider myself a Christian.

I did reply and say the the line: well this is all between me and God. What im interested in to know is how do you avoid altercations like this?

I think we are at different stages and he is way past me however it didnt stop me from getting angry and stressed out!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What is meant by "declared my new faith"?

As for baptism, well it is a command. Paul speaks of why it is important, representing our death and burial with Christ and sharing in His resurrection.

So my question for this is for what reason are you holding back?

As for baptism, well it is a command. Paul speaks of why it is important, representing our death and burial with Christ and sharing in His resurrection.

The view point my friend has is that I should maybe wear my new found faith printed on a t-shirt and announce to the world im different where as I just see it as ok - this in my deep within my heart.

I do want to do the process it's just my laid back view I want to take with this all and not jump straight into a alpha course like he has and then not be able to relate to all his old friends and relatives. Im dreading the next time i meet him and if there is a clash of opinions again!

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The view point my friend has is that I should maybe wear my new found faith printed on a t-shirt and announce to the world im different where as I just see it as ok - this in my deep within my heart.

As I read Scripture, if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart God raised Him form the dead, you shall be saved.

Have you done this?

I do want to do the process it's just my laid back view I want to take with this all and not jump straight into a alpha course like he has and then not be able to relate to all his old friends and relatives. Im dreading the next time i meet him and if there is a clash of opinions again!

I would encourage you not to let his over-zealousness frighten you away from developing a deeper walk with the Lord via training in the Scriptures and the Christian faith. Some people are just like that, having a tendency to get passionate and radical about what they get into. I know a lot more Christians who are quiet and soft-spoken than those who "shout it from the rooftops."

Hope that helps. Blessings!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  868
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/17/1981

My friend married a Devout Christian and now suddenly has transformed into Captain Christianity! (they weren't even christian before! :noidea: ). When we met we some how got into the topic of our recent start to a change of faith. When I said that I haven't in his words declared my new faith or had been baptized. He said it was impossible for me to consider myself a Christian.

I did reply and say the the line: well this is all between me and God. What im interested in to know is how do you avoid altercations like this?

I think we are at different stages and he is way past me however it didnt stop me from getting angry and stressed out!

What Neb said. :P

I'm sorry your friend said what he did in a way that offended you, but is it really just between you and God though?

John 17:21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

Romans 12:5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Sounds like you are both new to Christ and endeavoring to share your faith in different ways. We don't all have to share the same way and in the same manner but acknowledging that Jesus is Savior and the reason for your change is certainly good.

Also, many people accept Jesus as their Savior and become Christians even before they are baptized in water.

Too bad there was a clash as now you should both be able to move into greater and better fellowship because you are both Christians. Good to pray for this person that the time will come when you can get passed this and find a common ground and peace.

Hopefully this friend will move in less presumption and more wisdom as maturity comes in time. (if there is perseverance). We never stop growing but we do learn wisdom about how we say things and when to say them as we grow in the things of God. And we also learn not to hold back or be afraid to share the hope that is in us.

When I was a new Christian many years ago and sometimes awkward about sharing a friend shared this scripture with me:

2 Timothy 1:7 [For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.]

peace and blessings.. :)

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think this whole what I believe in has been an issue before back when I was agnostic (years back) and for some reason it never bothered anyone what I did or didnt do. Now its like this guy he is the husband of my friends. I admire him for his full commitment. But it was when he kind started quizzing me I thought (and maybe I said it too) do I have to wear a t-shirt saying 'I love Jesus'.

Well said evergreenjo, I was a bit like I was being tested for an initiation into this group to be on the same level as him. I'm not looking to join a Catholic Church or any denomination at the moment as it just works for me to let myself be guided and see where I go. Maybe I should just perfect my religious question avoidance skills!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

You do not need to jump into any Alpha Course. Allow the Holy Spirit to help you understand scripture and teach you. The more you grow in Christ, the stronger the relationship become, the easier it is to know His leading. Trust in His leading, and when you are in doubt, seek the advice of an Elder.

You do not need to jump into any Alpha Course. Allow the Holy Spirit to help you understand scripture and teach you. The more you grow in Christ, the stronger the relationship become, the easier it is to know His leading. Trust in His leading, and when you are in doubt, seek the advice of an Elder.

I want exactly what you said - I have enough faith on my own to trust the holy spirit entirely and not need to have to be spoon fed what I completely believe anyway. I think I need to stop being so open to questions from my friend as it is not his attention or approval im seeking!

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I want exactly what you said - I have enough faith on my own to trust the holy spirit entirely and not need to have to be spoon fed what I completely believe anyway. I think I need to stop being so open to questions from my friend as it is not his attention or approval im seeking!

The only approval we need is His. Saying that, we always should be accountable with the help and guidance from others. We are not Lone Rangers in Christ, but a body full of His children. It is good to have others to ask questions to, discuss what is read in scripture and to gain wisdom and counsel from others throughout our walk. There are those who believe they can sit in their room and God will give to them special understandings about hidden treasures in scripture. Beware of people like this and beware you do not become one of them also.

God Bless,

Alan