• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Here is the challenge: Using the bible as the only source for your answers, determine what God has revealed a time period of one year consists of. Please do not even mention what we know that man currently observes or historically it has been claimed to have been observed but only that which can be discovered within the pages of our Holy Bible, the Word of God. The reason I ask that we not even mention what is currently observed or ever has been thought to be correct outside of the bible is that I would rather not the discussion even be tainted by a thought outside of what the scripture has to offer on the subject.

Thank you in advance to all of you, the body of Christ, who through the inner witness of the Holy Spirit will endeavor to fulfill this task with me.

To begin I will simply start with Genesis account of the creation of the year as a time period.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, 18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. 19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

I first note that they (the sun and moon) are given multiple uses. Among them is for 'years'.

Does this automatically mean that they are 'both' for years?

Can it mean just one or the other?

What does the whole of scripture support without the tradition of man?

Let the study begin....

Gary

Edited by gdemoss

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

All I know is that the Hebrews followed a lunar calendar for the year. I do not know how this works out, though.

All I know is that the Hebrews followed a lunar calendar for the year. I do not know how this works out, though.

Today as I was studying, I found that Solomon had 12 different people to cook for him. One for each month of the year.

1Ki 4:7 And Solomon had twelve officers over all Israel, which provided victuals for the king and his household: each man his month in a year made provision.

This leads me to believe 12 months in a year according to Solomon.

But I also found this:

Exd 34:22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

Which would lead one to believe that the seasons are linked to years as well.

Then I found this:

1Ch 27:1 Now the children of Israel after their number, [to wit], the chief fathers and captains of thousands and hundreds, and their officers that served the king in any matter of the courses, which came in and went out month by month throughout all the months of the year, of every course [were] twenty and four thousand.

The following verses outline the 12 months of the year depicting a 12 month lunar calendar.

So for now I am kinda tied up in my mind because the seasons seem to be linked to the times of the year yet 12 lunar cycles as a year would not allow for it. Not considering outside sources, I have to look into the bible itself for a solution.

Grace and peace unto you,

Gary

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Today as I was studying, I found that Solomon had 12 different people to cook for him. One for each month of the year.

1Ki 4:7 And Solomon had twelve officers over all Israel, which provided victuals for the king and his household: each man his month in a year made provision.

This leads me to believe 12 months in a year according to Solomon.

But I also found this:

Exd 34:22 And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

Which would lead one to believe that the seasons are linked to years as well.

Then I found this:

1Ch 27:1 Now the children of Israel after their number, [to wit], the chief fathers and captains of thousands and hundreds, and their officers that served the king in any matter of the courses, which came in and went out month by month throughout all the months of the year, of every course [were] twenty and four thousand.

The following verses outline the 12 months of the year depicting a 12 month lunar calendar.

So for now I am kinda tied up in my mind because the seasons seem to be linked to the times of the year yet 12 lunar cycles as a year would not allow for it. Not considering outside sources, I have to look into the bible itself for a solution.

Grace and peace unto you,

Gary

Exo 12: 2 spring

This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.

Exo 34: 22 summer

And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

Edited by coheir

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

God set the calendar at creation, He then went on to set the times and season, planting and harvest and its based on the lunar cycle as well as seeing a solar cycle within scriptures also. Once there was a people He taught them by using His feasts as that agricultural calendar and showed them through that all kinds of wonderful stuff to come. I have a study on this somewhere will try and dig it out for you. If I forget just remind me!

shalom,

Mizz

This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.

And thou shalt observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the feast of ingathering at the year's end.

Yeah, this one kinda gets me. If we are to understand that spring is the beginning of the year then how is it said that the feast of the ingathering would be at year's end? What then about winter?

Gary

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  132
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

This is why some of the people in the Bible seem to live so long. They had another calender, so the ages are not the same. So when someone is 400 years old they are more like 60.

Wow, that was interesting and confusing. Thanks for your provision.

Gary

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Yeah, this one kinda gets me. If we are to understand that spring is the beginning of the year then how is it said that the feast of the ingathering would be at year's end? What then about winter?

Gary

The way I understand it wheat planted in winter and harvest is at years end.

this was all I could find in the kjv to determine the year.

other than spring and summer which I wrote in the rest is I got in kjv

Edited by coheir